Rediscovering the Strat love.

MarkBastable

• Members

Bought a USA Strat in the early nineties. It suited me, as a rhythm guitarist and songwriter.

In recent years, as I gained confidence to play one note at a time, I became a Gibson boy, and specifically an LP addict. Which meant that I neglected the Strat.

But, on a whim a few weeks ago, I took the Strat to Charlie Chandler (who is pretty much a legend in the UK, as luthier and tekkie over forty years).

And when I got it back - set up, made righteous, ready to sing - I remembered why I loved it.

This hasn't disillusioned me about the LP. Mostly, it's made me realise that I play differently on a Gibson than on a Fender, and that that's simultaneously a problem and an advantage.

Not a huge revelation, admittedly. But a useful broadening of creative possibility.

1240FenderStrat.jpg

• Members

I was a semi guy for a good while with the Sa2200 as my go to guitar but for the last few months, I've been litteraly addicted to my "strat" (pac904) and it's my go-to guitar right now. I like the longer scale and ergonomics.

• Members

Bought a USA Strat in the early nineties. It suited me, as a rhythm guitarist and songwriter.

In recent years, as I gained confidence to play one note at a time, I became a Gibson boy, and specifically an LP addict. Which meant that I neglected the Strat.

But, on a whim a few weeks ago, I took the Strat to Charlie Chandler (who is pretty much a legend in the UK, as luthier and tekkie over forty years).

And when I got it back - set up, made righteous, ready to sing - I remembered why I loved it.

This hasn't disillusioned me about the LP. Mostly, it's made me realise that I play differently on a Gibson than on a Fender, and that that's simultaneously a problem and an advantage.

Not a huge revelation, admittedly. But a useful broadening of creative possibility.

1240FenderStrat.jpg

Nice guitar. I have the same model - American Standard. In an ideal world, It'd have a slightly narrower board, but otherwise a lovely guitar to play. My aesthetic tastes have changed a lot since I bought that guitar new in 94. I'd definitely prefer a solid colour finish these days, and a rosewood board is now a dealbreaker for me (back then I wanted burst, and waited three weeks for one to arrive from the US via Arbiter - left handed, rosewood board, three tone burst). These days I'd also much rather a 50s spec Strat, but I still love this guitar. The quality is outstanding. I doubt I'll ever again be able to justify the spend on a US Fender ( or any guitar that expensive), but I'll never part with this one. I've long been tempted to have a custom neck to my spec made up for it, but it's such a great guitar in and of itself that I couldn't justify taking a risk of disrupting its mojo lest it's the particular combination of that neck and that body that just works....

• Members

Nice guitar. I have the same model - American Standard. In an ideal world, It'd have a slightly narrower board, but otherwise a lovely guitar to play. My aesthetic tastes have changed a lot since I bought that guitar new in 94. I'd definitely prefer a solid colour finish these days, and a rosewood board is now a dealbreaker for me (back then I wanted burst, and waited three weeks for one to arrive from the US via Arbiter - left handed, rosewood board, three tone burst). These days I'd also much rather a 50s spec Strat, but I still love this guitar. The quality is outstanding. I doubt I'll ever again be able to justify the spend on a US Fender ( or any guitar that expensive), but I'll never part with this one. I've long been tempted to have a custom neck to my spec made up for it, but it's such a great guitar in and of itself that I couldn't justify taking a risk of disrupting its mojo lest it's the particular combination of that neck and that body that just works....

Yeah - Sonic Blue, that is. Not to be confused with Daphne or Any Other Blue.

I was always all for the rosewood neck, myself. And I bought this deliberately to break that pattern, in the belief it'd push me in new directions. Even now, if I had to choose just one guitar, I'd go for a rosewood neck. But I don't have to - I can have both and do what I do on each.

• Members

Yeah I'd been a total Les Paul fanatic for many years... but I brought my Strat to a gig about a year ago (after not having played it for about 8 years) and I freaked out it was so awesome!

So now I'm also a Strat fanatic again! About 6 months ago I splurged on two American Special SSS/maple Strats and they are SMOKIN'!!

OP I love your Sonic Blue that is awesome!

• Members

Seems like I don't appreciate my strat unless I put it in the closet for several months. When I finally break it out again, I think it is the greatest guitar I have. But I eventually get tired of it again.

Archived