Opinions on Mid-80's MIJ Fender Telecaster Custom

Aristotle

• Members

I have a potential trade pending on one of these and don't know much about the MIJ Fender Telecaster Customs. I've done a search, but this is a discussion board and so it's good to solicit new opinions every once and awhile.

My main question is whether these have alder bodies (like the AVRI) or basswood?

• Members

Don't know about the wood species, but early-80s MIJ Fenders were generally considered better than their MIA brethren until '86 when Fender started to get their act back together. Cousin had a Strat from that era that kicked ass. Of course, he could make anything sound great. :-)

D

• Members

Yup

They're on my "wanted" list. Sometimes I find one for $500, but often people are asking stupid money for one (recently $1,200 - really?!). I didn't think they had a basswood body - alder perhaps? Not sure. The ones I've played have been resonant.

• Members

They're on my "wanted" list. Sometimes I find one for $500, but often people are asking stupid money for one (recently $1,200 - really?!). I didn't think they had a basswood body - alder perhaps? Not sure. The ones I've played have been resonant.

Basswood gets a bad rap, but it's not a bad tonewood by a longshot. It's just ugly if you're into the look of wood grain and natural finishes. I'd take basswood over pine any day, and even then pine still sounds pretty good too.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

$(KGrHqEOKiEE5ZL73QyWBOYGFLSRng~~60_12.J

I bought this, very good nick, from Japan via eBay. Unfortunately the neck hummer sounded like a pillow and the bridge sounded like an icepick but the acoustics were good, the neck straight, if wide, and generally in good shape except for the block of wood between the neck and the hummer being broken and a bit missing. Doesn't look like anyone's main axe. These MIJs are very well built but the wiring and Ups can let them down.

I changed the hummer's pots from 250k to 500k, earthed the bridge PUp and glued the neck end block back in to be tidy. Now it sounds fantastic - classic Tele. I love the ability to switch quickly between lead an rhythm thanks to individual controls for each PUp and the toggle (which I keep hitting by accident). A great finger picker's guitar - nice string spread.

Not many people seem to have realised that the 80s was 30 years ago so as far as the wood is concerned it's like buying a 60s guitar in the 90s. Fix the wiring and/or drop in some nice SD Antiquities and you'll have a very nice axe.

MIJs are going to jump up in value eventually. Maybe I'll hang onto this for a few more years.

• Members

I've got the same model and I love it - the build is superb (by the way, you can tell if it's early in the run or late, because they changed from slot-end tuners to pass-through at the end of 84). I bought some 1M pots for the neck pickup but can't bring myself to alter it - it's definitely my favourite guitar to play though. I have a late 80s Fender Japan Tele which is also superb - between the Squier and the Fender it's just a matter of preference, not quality.

Archived