What's your favorite multi-effects unit?

chuck1016

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have used many over the years. I used to use a Digitech RP7 Valve way back when, but now I have a Zoom G7.ut and a Pod X3 Live. The Pod is an overall better unit, both in terms of amount of choices and live footswitch capability. The Zoom also sounds good, and it is cheaper. The Pod sounds better direct to PA, and both can get quality recorded tones. I'd like the Zoom better without the gimmicky tube that doesn't help the sound at all (in fact, the Zoom G2, in the same series, sound better in some cases). The Zoom G3 looks interesting to me, and I'd like to check it out. The Pod HD500 is also interesting, but too expensive, and I doubt I'd appreciate it too much more than my X3, which I already like but use sparingly (mostly for easy recording or headphone use).

• Members

neither the M13 nor the ME50 would real fit the OP requirements as they don't have any Amp modeling.

As for the Boss ME70, as much as I like the die of separate controls for each FX block, i don't like being locked into just one of each type of effect. If I want to run Tremolo, Reverb, Chorus, and Delay all at the same time the Boss units just don't allow it.

Like others, my vote would be for the Line6 HD 500 on the upper end (I have one which I use daily) and either the Zoom G3 or G5 on the lower end. The G5 is cool because like the M13 or the Boss units you get the individual display/controls for each of FX block. The Mustang floor unit also looks promising at the lower end.

• Members

The best floor-unit amp modeler made right now is the POD HD500. In the floor units, it can't be beat for overall sound, realism and a certain amount of dynamic feel. The HD400 and HD300 are crippled versions that don't allow the same versatility of fx chain. Some of the things those units won't do is just plain stupid and clearly done so people will step up to the 500. There are some other brand modelers that do certain fx better than the POD HD units but the HD amp modeling is great.

The only way you can get something better than an HD is to leave the floor unit concept behind. The 11R, Kemper and Axe II are noticeably better sounding than the HD.

The Zoom G3 and G5 can sound pretty decent but in general are a few steps below the HD amp modeling quality. Still, they have friendly pricing and some nice fx.

This. Exactly.

• Members

I am a fan of Digitech RP's for bang for buck and the layout etc.. but you can get a good tone out of any of these modellers these days. Every single one has clips or people who know how to get the best out of them and make them sound like a million bucks.

It's just a matter of who the person is using them, and the time they have taken to get used to them, learned all the tricks and secrets and made it work for them.

First step, is to throw away all preconceptions and presets and go from scratch with blank patches completely by ear. And trial and error. Sometime's what doesn't sound like it should work, will work etc etc..

What really helped me for matching tones on the RP, was using the semi parametric EQ via the USB/PC software.. and using that by ear, matching it with real life album tones. Whatever the album is, to get closer in the ballpark to the desired tone etc. So much for sound and tone is in the EQ.

All the modellers these days can do a good job. One thing I've always liked about Line6's is their abililty to dial in 2 different tones, one for each channel using different amps, delay settings, EQ etc.. trying to help get that hi gain "wall of sound".. pretty cool.

• Members

I'm in the same camp as you, Chuck - guitar, cord, amp. I've never liked the idea of a bunch of stomp boxes to keep track of. I have an RP7 a friend gave me and I cant say it blows me away with the sounds it produces. I have been getting interested in the Fender Mustang Floor though from what I've read about it online, & the reviews I've read. I like it's simple design, and it looks pretty well made. Havent tried one out yet though, but I plan to.

• Members

Had a Digitech RP-50. Laugh it up but for in home use it was fun and good for ideals. The problem for me was playing in a band situation latter. Those tones i would save wouldn't work in a real setting. Still had a lot of fun with that pedal. They would tend to last me about sim months and die.

• Members

I am a fan of Digitech RP's for bang for buck and the layout etc.. but you can get a good tone out of any of these modellers these days. Every single one has clips or people who know how to get the best out of them and make them sound like a million bucks.

It's just a matter of who the person is using them, and the time they have taken to get used to them, learned all the tricks and secrets and made it work for them.

First step, is to throw away all preconceptions and presets and go from scratch with blank patches completely by ear. And trial and error. Sometime's what doesn't sound like it should work, will work etc etc..

What really helped me for matching tones on the RP, was using the semi parametric EQ via the USB/PC software.. and using that by ear, matching it with real life album tones. Whatever the album is, to get closer in the ballpark to the desired tone etc. So much for sound and tone is in the EQ.

All the modellers these days can do a good job. One thing I've always liked about Line6's is their abililty to dial in 2 different tones, one for each channel using different amps, delay settings, EQ etc.. trying to help get that hi gain "wall of sound".. pretty cool.

This. Digitech RP1000, very good amp modeling, very good FX, you can go direct to PA/FRFR or to amp or both at the same time or use 4 cables method. All for cheap prize.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you want modeling, there's not a better board out there than the Line 6 POD HD500. Killer models, pretty easy to edit... I've had Digitech, Tonelabs, etc...but this one kills the others in the modeling department.

If you just need effects, the Line 6 M13 is top-notch.

• Members

I screwed up and sold my dinosaur, the late,great GNX4, what the RP1000 should have been, just updated, 8-track recorder, drums, A card for storage, MIDI, and GREAT tones! I think I just talked myself into a trip to E-Bay land,lol!

• Members

Sad to say I have no experience with recent Line 6 stuff, but I'm more interested in FX than in amp modding and highly recommend whichever older Boss unit's specs match your needs, purchased via EvilBay. I have a GS-10 and ME-50. You can read up on the ME-50; the GS-10 is a tabletop (NOT floor) variation on the GT 10, and has an absolutely astounding range of possibilities. One of it's more singular characteristics is a digital display that allows you to set FX parameters with astonishing granularity (including BPM, etc.). Has a preamp with some decent amp mods, some crummy. Honestly, I just prefer having different amps, but I realize I'm an old fart.

The ME-50 can achieve some really dramatic sounds, and is built like a tank.

• Members

I recently got a Zoom G3 and love it. I put it through the loop on my amps for delay and modulated effects. Off of my board I use the models and looper for practice and playing around. The USB interface is cool to for direct recording.

That's how I use my G2. It doesn't have a usb interface for direct recording, but it sounds decent enough plugged into the mic port.

• Members

That's how I use my G2. It doesn't have a usb interface for direct recording, but it sounds decent enough plugged into the mic port.

I'm more impressed all the time with the G3. I tried it through the loop on my Badit but that old amp has a kind of noisy loop so I put the G3 out front running into the clean channel. One of the down falls of multi units has always seemed to be the over drives and distortions. To my surprise I found that the sim of the Proco Rat is really good on the G3. I find that distortion very usable. Just one more use I found for the G3. The Badit and the G3 can be a serviceable grab and go rig for jams.

• Members

I'm more impressed all the time with the G3. I tried it through the loop on my Badit but that old amp has a kind of noisy loop so I put the G3 out front running into the clean channel. One of the down falls of multi units has always seemed to be the over drives and distortions. To my surprise I found that the sim of the Proco Rat is really good on the G3. I find that distortion very usable. Just one more use I found for the G3. The Badit and the G3 can be a serviceable grab and go rig for jams.

Most excellent.

I've tried using the G2's amp/pedal sims in the FX loop, but most of them sound like a fizzy mess, except for the Fuzz Face (but it doesn't sound like fuzz in the loop, more like a good old school distortion) and the Roland JC clean sound. Out of the loop all those sims sound better, some better than others. But I do prefer my analogue drive pedals. I find the 6 band EQ to be most effective in getting the most out of my amp, and the drum machine feature is a godsend for practice. And with all the other FX on board it's so easy to get lost in a world of sounds - the hours fly by.

• Members

Instinctively I just don't want to put MFX after the preamp ... am I dumb in thinking that way? Most of what I've seen for amp modeling includes some dose of preamplification (at least the GS10 is this way) and it just seems a recipe for a crap signal.

Guitar > MFX > amp input ... no?

Archived