Guitar store deposit annoyance diatribe

Henry Path

• Members

No, not the new Fall album.

There's a big chain of guitar stores in the UK, the nearest in terms of both distance and ease-of-reaching to me is over 100 miles away so I want to visit that particular store and try out a few guitars before deciding on one. So far, so obvious.

I emailed them today and said I've narrowed it down to about 7 or 8 I'd like to try but 5 are not at this one store, they're at various other branches, and asked if they moved guitars between stores for people like me who want to try a few.

They replied saying they will move guitars but only if I pay a deposit of 10% of the value of the guitar for each guitar they move. I then have 14 days to go and try; I'll get the deposit back after I do.

Is this usual? These are

• Members

I'm surprised they're willing to move the guitars at all, considering all the people that try things out in the store and then purchase online.

Yeah, I get that. No way I'D buy something online for that amount without having played it first, though.

• Members

Welcoming customer service is being nice and helping you try what is in stock. What you want them to do is spend time and money moving five guitars around on the off chance that you will buy one, in which case they will probably lose money on the sale due to the costs of dealing with you. At which point you will probably tell other people leading them to expect the same money-losing service. I

• Members

Welcoming customer service is being nice and helping you try what is in stock. What you want them to do is spend time and money moving five guitars around on the off chance that you will buy one, in which case they will probably lose money on the sale due to the costs of dealing with you. At which point you will probably tell other people leading them to expect the same money-losing service. I'm pretty sure requesting five deposits is a roundabout way of telling you to just buy the guitar elsewhere and save them the bother.

I don't agree. There's no way a big company - because they are - would lose money on a

• Members

Presumably it costs the same to move 5 guitars as 1 guitar. So why not charge a flat fee for this? What if I wanted to try 15 guitars?

It only costs the same to move five guitars if they are in one place, boxed up, there is free space in a truck, and an employee with nothing else to do. And if you want to try fifteen uncommon guitars you need to get off your ass and go to a big store instead of expecting people to accommodate you.

• Members

And if you want to try fifteen uncommon guitars you need to get off your ass and go to a big store instead of expecting people to accommodate you.

I've already said 4 or 5. 15 is a deliberate exaggeration to make a point. And you've assumed "uncommon". Where'd you get that from? I'm after trying Fenders, ffs - American Standards, Deluxes, and a Classic Player 50s.

Weird, I kind of DO expect a store to accommodate me.

• Members

Well, quite. I was just a bit taken aback by it.

Having said that, I would say they have a good point.

A fee per location would be better than a fee per guitar, but they need to cover this especially since you say woiuld never buy online without trying it first.

You are not the only one.

this is 2012.

Retail culture is very different these days.

Internet has made store-based retail into a risky business as you can see by the closures.

• Members

Bah. I'd find a better shop, tell them what you want to try, give them %25 down and go try them, intending to walk out with one. They prolly have emplyees that move between shops a lot. Shipping charges are likely bs, and the risk of brick and mortar is NOT giving you a reason to buy there. Also, realize, you budget is not that high, so don't get too snooty about it. I find it hard to believe that someone won't work with you, unless you are Johnny Lydon ;)

• Members

TBH, as long as you can have the money back should you walk away and not want any of their guitars, it seems fair enough to me. They're bound to be getting people trying before buying (elsewhere) online all the time... Reminds me of a place I know back in the Six Counties. They sell suitcases... When you get a case trashed by an airline, to be compensated you need to supply either a replacement valuation quote or a receipt of purchase. Obviously most people don't hang on to the latte,r never think, so this place had loads of people coming in, taking their time to get a quote, then never going back again. So they started charging ten pounds for the service, redeemable against a new case once claim comes through. Seems fair enough to me.

I'd think of it this way: if it gives you the chance to try guitars you simply wouldn't otherwise without the hassle of paying the full amount up front then arranging return and refunding if you do't like them, it's bound to be worth it.

Archived