Let's Talk Trems

docjeffrey

• Members

Erm, you can block any trem with a stack of nickles. $50 contraption? lol

I'm talking about those fancy tremstoppers that allow you to block it entirely, use downward motion only, rub your crotch, etc.

Even blocked, I like to have the bridge sit in a floating position, so for some reason I couldn't make the coin thing work. Maybe if I used Canadian coins?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think my favorite is the Floyd. It's the most stable and versatile. Easiest to set up too. What's that? You wanna go from 9's to 11's? Well heck no you don't need to file the nut, just slap them {censored}s on there and adjust the claw... maybe the truss rod. You can do the insane dive bombs, or be very subtle if ya like.

Here's a subtle sufry Floyd video I made to post in that other bajillion page thread about Floyds Vs. Bigsbys.

Charvel > Subdecay Spring Theory > Drive G65 amp

• Members

I have Floyds, Wilkinsons, six-screw Strat trems, and a Bigsby and I like them all. All of them (except the Bigsby) are set to float. They all have their uses and limitations. On my floating trems, I use a trem block stopper to tune them up. On my guitars with a Strat six-screw trem, I put an ice cream stick under the back of the trem base, and then tighten the spring claw to tune.

As far is setting the intonation on the Floyds go, I like to use The Key, which only works on OFRs and Floyd Rose Specials (both of which I have).

• Members

next time yer in GC et al, pick up an Ibanez S type guit equipped with the ZR bridge...smoothest feeling trem, uses ball bearings instead of knife points ...If it were doable as an aftermarket thing, I'd equip nearly everything I have with one but the cutout for it is just too elaborate, though somebody skilled at woodworking could probably pull it off...

zrcu.jpg
zrbearing.jpg

The Ibanez ZR trem is the best trem out there. I floated mine and have never looked back.

Having said that, I don't use them much. All my Strats are decked, and my main guitars (Gibson SG and LTD EC1000) don't have them at all. I hate the Bigsby because, to me, it looks like a tumor.

• Members

A personal opinion: Bigsbys look good (right even) on certain guitars (mostly semis and jazzers), but are the least practical. For all the hassle, instability issues and string changing nightmares, it gives little in the way of vibrato-range/options. I'd rather have NO vibrato bridge than a Bigsby.

seriously? I think Bigsbys add a lot. They give the Gretsch 6120 and 6128 its signature tone. Neil Young, Brian Setzer and Buddy Miller exploit their virtues to maximum effect.

• Members

A personal opinion: Bigsbys look good (right even) on certain guitars (mostly semis and jazzers), but are the least practical. For all the hassle, instability issues and string changing nightmares, it gives little in the way of vibrato-range/options. I'd rather have NO vibrato bridge than a Bigsby.

In your case we know that these "issues" are a result of gross user incompetence.

• Members

Can't stand floyds. I change tunings too much for them to be worthwhile.

Personally I like quality 2 point bridges. The best and most stable one I've played so far has been the godin tru-loc, but its also dependent on the fact that there is a graphtech nut and roller string trees.

• Members

Can't stand floyds. I change tunings too much for them to be worthwhile.

Personally I like quality 2 point bridges. The best and most stable one I've played so far has been the godin tru-loc, but its also dependent on the fact that there is a graphtech nut and roller string trees.

Wait a minute. You have 4 electrics. That should be enough to handle various turnings, allowing for one of your guitars to be equipped with a Floyd. I was a Floyd naysayer for years until I actually started using one. Now I'm hooked.

• Members

Stability, IMO, is a non-issue. All trems are stable, if set up correctly and competently. Simply play the trem that responds in a manner pleasing to you.

Actually certain design differences create a more smooth (less friction) transition and change in string tension than others do. But, obviously players seem to be able to handle many different kinds of tremolos just fine.

• Members

Wait a minute. You have 4 electrics. That should be enough to handle various turnings, allowing for one of your guitars to be equipped with a Floyd. I was a Floyd naysayer for years until I actually started using one. Now I'm hooked.

I like using all the instruments with different tunings :thu:.

• Members

Actually certain design differences create a more smooth (less friction) transition and change in string tension than others do. But, obviously players seem to be able to handle many different kinds of tremolos just fine.

Every trem I can think of off hand is zero friction as far as its interaction with strings goes (with the exception of trems that use tension bars, which I think cause more problems than they solve). Now certain bridges and nuts are better than others as far as friction goes, and those areas are where you often get trouble (not all trem units are in the bridge).

• Members

I currently have a Strat, Floyd and Bigsby. They all do the job and I really don't think I have a favorite. I don't really find changing strings any harder or easier on one over the other. I get decent range out of the Bigsby. The low E will drop down to around Bb somewhere and with a properly cut nut, lube and a roller bridge, there's nothing you can do to knock it out of tune. I know people think of them as just providing a little warble, and while they won't completely detune, they can be set up to be pretty usable. I guess for range and stability the Floyd wins, but I don't like it any more or less than the others.

Archived