Let's Talk Trems

docjeffrey

• Members

Standard vintage strat tremolo works great for me. I have a bone nut that I lube with some graphite every once in a while. I don't ever use 2 string retainers and i make sure the one that's left isn't too low. I just use vintage split post tuners.

The only advantage to a floyd is that you can go totally slack and it will come back in tune. The full floating strat trem that stays in tune fine. I think it pulls up the G string a step and a half. I can drop the E string to low B and it comes back in tune. it has a really nice springy feel. And I can make super weird noises by strumming up above the nut and diving the trem like adrian belew. Floyds don't do that.

I have a bigsby and it recently started giving me tuning issues. i had a gig last weekend and hadn't used that guitar in a long time. Turns out that I hadn't changed the strings in a long time either. Once I changed the strings, the bigsby stayed in tune again. I wouldn't stick a bigsby on a guitar that had other options. But that is what a bigsby is for. It goes on guitars that can't do a fender style.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Even blocked, I like to have the bridge sit in a floating position, so for some reason I couldn't make the coin thing work. Maybe if I used Canadian coins?

I block my Floyds in their floating positions when I need to do intonation or a string change. To make the coin thing work you have to remove the springs...

Archived