Godin GAS

Canadian Jeff

• Members
But you do have to give our banking system some credit.

Sure, politicians lie, but there had to be some reasons why we weren't in such deep {censored} like the rest?

You make it sound as if us Canadians live in the USSR
:(

Banking: one of the big differences is the Canadian central bank is a government agency. In the US, the Federal Reserve is a private, for profit company. So in the US the banking system steals from the government/people. In Canada the government steals from everybody.

To put a fine point on it, Harper just stole billions of dollars from the CDN pension system [that means regular working Canadians] by unilaterally upping pension age from 65 to 67. This was done without consultation and without so much as a whimper from the people. All that money they collected over the years was to be held in trust for Canadians. Now they're saying - oops, it's all gone, tough luck - while they are the ones responsible for squandering it in the first place.

As far as USSR goes, since the '82 Constitution Act, Canada is a single Order-in-Council away from being a totalitarian state. Orders-in-Council do not go through parliament, they are not debated and generally hidden from view. They originate from/are sponsored by ministers and, once signed by the Governor General become law. Since the Statute of Westminister 1931 the Governor General [originally appointed by England to protect the Canadian people from their government] sits at the pleasure of the Prime Minister. In other words, Harper says "sign this" and they say "yes sir" or are replaced by someone who will.

If you think that can't happen consider the facts that Harper has prorogued Parliament twice without just cause, and has been found in Contempt of Parliament [a criminal offense - the rules state nobody with a criminal record can sit in parliament] and it can be argued he's making Putin look like a poster-boy for democracy.

Canadians are screwed. They're just don't want hear or do anything about it.

Back on topic - Godin does make a damn fine guitar. I love mine.

• Members

Banking: one of the big differences is the Canadian central bank is a government agency. In the US, the Federal Reserve is a private, for profit company.

This is mostly incorrect. The US federal reserve does have some private components, but it is largely a government agency.

It was enacted by Congress, and is subject to its oversight. Its ruling body, the Board of Governors, are chosed by the President and the Senate confirms the appointments. The biggest aspect on point however, is that the 'profits' earned by the bank goto the Government. A small dividend is paid to member banks, but the vast majority goes to government coffers. For example, in 2010, the Reserve made $82 billion, and $79 billion went to the US Treasury.

Regarding the proper topic of the thread, Godins are great guitars. Ive owned/own several. My LGX-SA is one of the nicest guitars ive ever played.

• Members

You have to also factor in that the guitar uses a Laurentian Basswood body, so trying to compare its pickups sound to a Tele or Strat isn't going to work. I've found that the Laurentian Basswood on my Session is pretty beefy and "big" sounding compared to Alder or even asian basswood.

Archived