Vox AC4TV - head or combo? Or Marshall Class 5?

bluesnapper

• Members

Don't get the AC4TV.

I've had a couple of cheaper Vox amps now. A pair of Pathfinders, an AC4 combo, and an AC15. The only amp that didn't cut it, IMO, was the AC4. It is really a one trick pony, whereas the other two amps have a range of sounds they can make. When a $200 tube can't beat a $120 solid state, you know it doesn't deserve a second look.

• Members

Yeah, ^^^ agree. You've gotta give the AC4 a chance for a thorough second impression. It's a different animal from the Pathfinder. I know I'm enjoying my AC4 significantly more now than I did when they first came out. I basically ignored it for a couple years, but coming back to it, I'm figuring out more of what it's about. And it's over drive tones are considerably better IMO, than on the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder is impressive for a bigger than you'd expect clean sound out of a SS 15W 8" speaker amp.

• Members

I'll have to try my Pathfinder through an extension cab. I'm a fan too of the Pathfinder. I thought it was the No. 1 bedroom amp until the Mustang I came along and gave it a good run for the money. I have also been impressed how well the Pathfinder takes OD pedals. Since I find the Pathfinders OD to be on the fizzy/harsh side, I thought OD pedals would just make it worse, but nope, put a Bad Monkey or OCD in front of one and it sounds like the pedal.

• Members

I'll have to try my Pathfinder through an extension cab. I'm a fan too of the Pathfinder. I thought it was the No. 1 bedroom amp until the Mustang I came along and gave it a good run for the money. I have also been impressed how well the Pathfinder takes OD pedals. Since I find the Pathfinders OD to be on the fizzy/harsh side, I thought OD pedals would just make it worse, but nope, put a Bad Monkey or OCD in front of one and it sounds like the pedal.

Much of the fizziness is because of the 8" speaker. It will sound warm and full through a good extension cabinet. :)

• Members

Out of the two the Class 5 gets my vote hands down...Excellent amps.

Stay away from the VOX AC4C1-BL, they suck! I just sold mine for only $200 and I felt I kind of ripped the guy off; however, I was so glad to get rid of that dam thing.

Excellent alternates: VHT Special or Ultra 6 (both are great amps) Kustom 5 head, Laney Club 10.

Fender Pro Jr is another great amp.

If I ever purchase another VOX it will be the AC15.

Good luck

• Members

FMI: What exactly is the "top boost". Is it simply a higher-gain channel with a vintage name, or is it something truly different? Also, is it foot-switchable?

Top Boost channel is brighter, more treble, less bassy, more crisp bite and grit when you overdrive it.

Not foot-switchable. Vox does not provide a footswitch that allows you to jump from Top Boost to Normal, but you can do it if you buy an A/B/Y pedal.

Switching between the two channels really isn't a thing you really go for. Linking the two channels is. The ability to link the Top Boost channel with the Normal channel on the amps is a great plus. At times the Top Boost can be too trebly (especially with single coils), so you link it with the Normal channel and you get a real great sound. Still bright and crisp, but beefy. Linking on the AC30 CC2s is done just by flicking a switch. The new AC30s no longer have that switch. I think on those you have to jump the inputs.

• Members

Hmm, maybe I'll check out some Youtube reviews etc after work today. I'm a touch unwilling to order from Germany without trying one first though - especially as I won't be able to sell on an unknown brand very easily in the UK in the future.

Thomann have a 30 day money back guarantee. Don't like it, send it back.

Archived