Guitar-related Billboard in NYC we can all relate to!

vcnyls

• Members

• Members

I have a storage center, and I rotate stuff in and out:idea:. My girl doesn't care at all how many I have, or how many I have at the house(not that I would ever have less!). There is no way I want all my guitars in my house, because my house would be the goal line for EVERY thief in my local:cop:.....................The REAL Rocker.

• Members

we need a NYC forum jam sesh.

Fix'd :cop:

In all reality my school schedule wouldn't allow for too much of a meet-up, but it's cool to see a few of you all live in NYC.

If any of you guys have bands that play out, PM me with a website or something and I'd love to see some of you guys play!

Sadly, I can barely practice with an amp in my apartment, never mind jam...

How do you NYCers in small apartments and close quarters play? Unplugged like me? Or do you have a practice space?

• Members

Great ads.

I happen to live in a very small condo (27 square meters, about 280 sq ft. I would guess). I have 13 1/2 guitars here (I think)... 1/2 guitar is guitarlele... behind sofa are 7 or so, under bed a couple, couple in hallway by bathroom.... and don't forget the amps! I have no kitchen, which is fine since Thai street food is just fine.

Oh, and my Thai girlfriend is here with me too.

It's tight. Glad it doesn't get cold here and have to stay indoors!

• Members

Well, Fenderman, as far as bands go, mine is playing Arlene's Grocery on Saturday night. You and all other forumites are welcome to come and say hello.

As far as making music goes, I went through a series of small amps that were never quite small enough to crank in the apartment. Finally I found a friend who had a basement. We jammed there, gathering both equipment and compatriots, until we got kicked out. Now we rent a practice space out in Whitestone, Queens. It's a lot cheaper than Williamsburg or Gowanus, let alone Manhattan.

When it comes to just noodling in the apartment, I use a POD for most things these days. It just makes more sense.

• Members

I have a small Manhattan apartment too. I don't have too many guitars, but I just stash them in a corner. My wife keeps "suggesting" a different organizational system, but I've resisted so far. As far as amps go, I only have two: a small practice amp and a larger amp for gigs. I almost always play through an amp at home, but keep it turned down so it's no louder than my stereo or tv. When I was more active with bands, I'd have bandmates come over to play (no drums, though) and made sure to kept it to a reasonable volume. There's never been any problems with the neighbors (and I have really thin walls). Once a drummer gets involved, however, it's time to move to a rehearsal studio.

Archived