Guitarists and one-upmanship

scolfax

• Members

Seems that there is something about guitar players that brings about one-upmanship. Of course it exists everywhere but wow it can be annoying.

WRT gear: from strings to guitars to effects to amps, there are so many choices it's absurd.

Were your choices really so much better? Was your guitar really so much better/cheaper/lighter/heavier/sustainy-er? Does that make you so much smarter/better?

WRT players: I can't find the interview but Satch told an interesting story about trying to get G3 together. The other guitarists were very worried about playing next to other guitarists. I guess if they didn't come off as "the best" they didn't want to do it. Something like that.

• Members

I don't really care what people use, everyone has their favorites. I really enjoy the few guitars and amps I own. I play best when I'm playing them.

As far as people asking for opinions on gear and stuff here, I'll offer my honest experience and I guess I don't care if they take it.

I must be the most chilled out guitarist ever, probably the best at being cool :D

• Members

I don't really care what people use, everyone has their favorites. I really enjoy the few guitars and amps I own. I play best when I'm playing them.

As far as people asking for opinions on gear and stuff here, I'll offer my honest experience and I guess I don't care if they take it.

I must be the most chilled out guitarist ever, probably the best at being cool
:D

Yeah, everyone has their own taste, and we're not so weird that others won't share the same opinions. I like to put my opinion in, and sometimes it's helpful. I also try to stay away from saying things suck, unless they break easily or something like that.

• Members

In general, guys make everything a pissing contest.

Agreed. Guys like stuff. No matter what their interest they like to acquire things and show them off. And now there's message boards full of all of them. Message boards full of car guys, message boards full of camera guys arguing about what lens is the sharpest, muscle building boards, etc... The latest trend is the anti-pissing contest guys, who are having their own kind of pissing contest to show how little they care about what everyone else things and how they're so great for it. It's all ego. Everyone has one, everyone should accept it.

• Members

It can be annoying to play a show when I know there other guitar players are watching. You know they're scrutinizing every note. I know because I tend to do the same thing...LOL. I really try not analyze and just enjoy the music when I'm listening to a band playing live, but I think it's just something hardwired into a musician's brain. I don't really care about what gear they use, it's more a point of curiosity with me. I like to see pedal boards just to see what people are using.

• Members

Played with too many self-styled alpha dogs in the past and they are the least creative and interactive beings on the planet IMO. They should just wear a sign 24/7 that reads: LOOK AT ME!!! The line from Desiderata about loud and aggressive people being vexations of the spirit draws to mind. I've cleared out all the flashy egocentric players in my group in favor of team players and enjoying it more and being more productive.

• Members

I don't care what people use as long as they can play and not sound like crap. You can make a Crate sound good if you aren't an idiot, so whatever. I do get annoyed if someone is trying out for one of my projects (typically metal or hard rock) and shows up with a Peavey Vypr 12" combo or something though.

• Members

I find the headcutter mentality part of the challenge.

From the get go, I always wanted to play with musicians that were my superior.

I think it's amusing that there's so many gunslingers out there.

There's always someone better and I look at it as a learning thing.

I remember signing in at some Asbury Park, NJ bar to get on stage to play some blues thing.

The house band was letting me and a friend sit in with them. The house band was full of swagger.

They called out some blues tunes and I asked, "what key?".........they laughed and just started to play.

My buddy and I just followed along. It wasn't difficult. We gave those gunslingers some of their own medicine.

It was amusing.

• Members

Most of those "gunslingers" are pale, weak little homunculi who've spent all their time indoors practicing their chops to the exclusion of every other aspect of life. Therefore, I kinda' feel sorry for them, because if this is the only area in which they excel -- and most of 'em can't make a real living at it -- they are to be pitied rather than held in awe. I have a rich, rewarding, varied life and I wouldn't trade that at the crossroads at midnight for anything!

Archived