Must...resist...SG Standard....with P90s...

thom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty sure it's the "normal" modern SG profile, which is a bit thinner than the less common thick mid 1960s neck profile. I like the thicker neck profile, because it seems more stable, makes louder and gritter toanz and is more responsive.

Yeah that's pretty much what I could make of the description on the gibson site and the reviews I read the last couple days. If I have to buy sight unseen, I hope the salesman in the store can at least let me try onother gibson they have at the store that has the same neck profile...A baseball bat neck on a stocky gibbo neck would be a deal breaker for me.

• Members

Damn, now I've got serious gibson Gas. Been browsing the gibson catalogue. Not an sg, but even cheaper than the P90 SG standard:

LPSpecialP90.jpg

630Euro. 594Euro for the satin finish version. It's no SG, but apart from the neck inlays and the body shape -lower fret acces- they're pretty much the same guitars, only with a significant price difference...

• Members

{censored}....

SG's are guitars I could own 3, 4 or 5 different variations of. They are just {censored}ing bad ass.

Yep, they've grown to be a fave of mine.

I've got

A white Epi G-400 w EMG 85/81

A black + gold HW Epi G-400 Deluxe w Maestro Trem and Burstbucker Pros

Red Gibson Diablo with Burstbucker 1 & 2

Red Gibson '61 RI with '57s

Silverburst Gibson GOW Std 490/498 with ebony fb

Brown Gibson Special Faded 490/490

Ebony Gibson Special 490/490

Blue Mist Gibson Special Ltd 490/490 with ebony fb

Red Gibson SG Classic P-90

Natural Gibson SG '60s Tribute P-90

Vintage SB Gibson SG '70s Tribute Mini-hums

Little bit of redundancy in there, but I'm sure there was compelling GAS justifications for each one at the time :lol:

But yeah, SGs are possibly my favorite platform. It took me a while to warm up to them visually, since they are not the prettiest (or sexy if you prefer) of electric guitars, but their tone won me over. The SGs are thin for a Gibson (compared to LPs, LP Juniors, RDs, Explorers, Vs etc.) and that translates into a bit more of a spankier vibey tone which is what I hear and particularly like about them. To me they are a Gibson with a bit of Fender splashed into the tonal mix.

• Members

:wave:

118420592-front-large.jpg

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I've got a couple hours left till the store closes, that kind of pic is the last thing I need right now. I already 'decided' to revamp my Les Paul Jr lite to get through this phase of Gibson Gas, but now I'm tempted to just call the store and ask em wether it's possible to come and try that SG Standard next weekend, and than maybe still get the same deal...:facepalm:

Edit: I cracked:facepalm:

Nothing's final yet, I can still back out of it, but I just called the store, and they're ordering the black P90 equiped SG standard for me so I can go try it out on thursday...And get the same deal as I would've gotten on today's blowout...Not sure if a facepalm or smiley is appropriate here, but I know I just won me four more days to convince my girl...:lol:

• Members

Tomorrow D-day...I'm finally gonna check it out. When I told my g/f about my plan, I actually didn't get the kind of reaction "no way, we can't afford it, you've got plenty neglected guitars already, blahblah" I was expecting:lol:

So anyway...One big step for Thom, one gigant CSB for the rest of the world:lol:

• Members

^F*ck no, not with a beaty like that:lol:

I know it's nothing extremely rare or unusual, but like I said earlier: I f*cking love black sg's combined with chrome:) Aesthetically that'd be my dream sg, but unfortunatelly humbucker guitars always end up being backups to the single coild equiped ones...Not that I don't love the sound of an sg standard with hb's, I just really really love tele's and jazzmaststers even more:s

• Members

do it! Everyone needs at least 1 SG.

36585369.jpg

Nice! That's a Special '70s tribute, right? If I remember right there used to be -or maybe it's still available- a '67 sg special ri with P90s. Looks similar apart from the neck binding. Anyway, I'd have to agree with your statement: Everyone needs at least one SG...And one tele:lol:

• Members

^F*ck no, not with a beaty like that:lol:

I know it's nothing extremely rare or unusual, but like I said earlier: I f*cking love black sg's combined with chrome:) Aesthetically that'd be my dream sg, but unfortunatelly humbucker guitars always end up being backups to the single coild equiped ones...Not that I don't love the sound of an sg standard with hb's, I just really really love tele's and jazzmaststers even more:s

Hooray! :D

lol

What I usually do is get HB equipped guitars, and mod them for coil split, or throw in a p90 sized humbucker.

I still need a tele....

• Members

13585616.jpg

yeah there was a GOTW 67RI Gibson were selling a few years ago. I actually bought one from AMS but a few days after my purchase they said they were sold out. I was pissed!

I always wanted a p90 SG...my 70s Tribute can accept p90s with no mods and Im very tempted to throw some in, but Im digging the minis for now. we'll see....

Nice! That's a Special '70s tribute, right? If I remember right there used to be -or maybe it's still available- a '67 sg special ri with P90s. Looks similar apart from the neck binding. Anyway, I'd have to agree with your statement: Everyone needs at least one SG...And one tele:lol:

I might get this one and put p90s in it

Gibson-SG-Special-70s-Tribute-Satin-Ebon

• Members

^REALLY dig that black one. I've been become really anal and picky about neck binding on gibbo's though, and for some reason the Standard with P90s I'm gonna check out this afternoon would cost me a little less than that '70s tribute model. At least at my local store:idk:

On the subject of mini-hums: I just ordered a pair of GFS mini humbuckers for my LP Jr Lite. I doesn't get any love now anyway, the stock P100s are no competotion for my fenders. I figured it doesn't hurt to have at least one humbucker equiped guitar, even for a single coil addict. Especially if they're sorta single coil'ish:lol:

• Members

I think I like the SG Classic more than the SG Standard with P90s. For some reason, when I see SGs with P90s, I expect to see dot inlays. I don't think it makes the guitar look any cheaper, especially since it has neck binding. In many ways it makes it cooler by being more distinct. For

• Members
I think I like the SG Classic more than the SG Standard with P90s. For some reason, when I see SGs with P90s, I expect to see dot inlays. I don't think it makes the guitar look any cheaper, especially since it has neck binding. In many ways it makes it cooler by being more distinct. For

Archived