OT: Space Shuttle Endeavour on Crenshaw Blvd. !

larry50

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius

View Post

Very cool. Great pics too. thumb.gif

I cut down 20 trees and bushes on my property this summer and I have zero intentions of planting any new ones, so maybe some of you guys can give me some {censored} too? rolleyes.gif Plus my next door neighbor has taken down dozens in the last month or so.

People like something to complain about. I'm not talking about anyone particular or necessarily about what people said in this thread. It is rampant in the US especially in California. I've had people give me flack about smoking a cigarette about as far away as I could get from the general public while on the sidewalk or common area of a shopping area. They are so worried about the second hand smoke yet seem to ignore the polutants and carinogens that are flying out of the cars and buses that are driving by. It is absolutely ridiculous and completely hypocritical to lament one and not the other. The times I do smoke a cigarette (usually when I'm drinking), I try to politely keep away from people because of the smell. I'm all for the environment but it is a bit hypocritical to lament the city for cutting down some trees when we all do much worse by the way we live our daily lives. Just look at your weekly trash collection as a sample.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by McCain

View Post

They could of just removed the wings and tail and not cut down anything. A one or two hour drive to wherever its going and it's all over...but no.

There is probably a reason for that. You don't find it ironic that people ona guitar message board are worried about trees? Do you know where the wood in your guitar(s) came from? Unless you cut it down, you really don't.

BTW... the Science Center expects 800k more visitors to that part of town in the next year. That is a good thing for the area. If you ever drove around South LA, you'd be hard pressed to notice trees amongst the graffiti, litter and run down buildings. I don't think anyone is happy the trees were cut but they are getting something in return for them. They are being replaced and maintained along with additional jobs, scholarships and more revenue from the people who visit. The people there should be happy they got the space shuttle there even at the expense of the trees.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff

View Post

Because they cut down 400 fairly old trees to move the shuttle. Try and keep up, ok?

Damnit CJ, you and I could have chained ourselves to those trees. I am just always a few steps behind. Someday, someday.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho

View Post

There is probably a reason for that.

No, the only reason was because they wanted a spectacle.

The reason given for not removing the wings was that it would damage some heat-shield tiles and there weren't any replacements, as if they couldn't make some fake ones from foam to look exactly like the real ones...it's not like it's going back into space now is it?...no, they wanted a gigantic political wave the flag spectacle.

• Members

View Post

There is probably a reason for that. You don't find it ironic that people ona guitar message board are worried about trees? Do you know where the wood in your guitar(s) came from? Unless you cut it down, you really don't.

BTW... the Science Center expects 800k more visitors to that part of town in the next year. That is a good thing for the area. If you ever drove around South LA, you'd be hard pressed to notice trees amongst the graffiti, litter and run down buildings. I don't think anyone is happy the trees were cut but they are getting something in return for them. They are being replaced and maintained along with additional jobs, scholarships and more revenue from the people who visit. The people there should be happy they got the space shuttle there even at the expense of the trees.

Let's keep in mind, it's South L.A., lots more will visit the Science Center and Natural History Museum to see the shuttle, but they are going to venture outside of Exposition Park, at least not until USC finishes it's 25 year plan to annex and rebuild everything between the 110 and Normandy.

I'm thrilled their be a shuttle there, I wish I were still in L.A. to see it move through the town, I used to live in Playa Del Rey, right there where it started and knew every block from there to Randy's Donuts (someone did send me a nice pic of it passing Randy's). And before that I lived closed to USC for grad school. Anything that gets added to Exposition Park feels like an addition to USC to me, which is great...I'm old enough that I always got a since of pride knowing I walked through the same campus sidewalks as Neil Armstrong, and now the shuttle comes to stay. UCLA might have won the battle for the In-=and-Out, but USC has their own Shuttle now...and already had an A-12 Blackbird (that's the prototype SR-71, the Ca. Science Center has the only trainer odel Blackbird ever made).

The Endeavor and Atlantis are the only shuttles I've never seen in person or in a flyby...and yes, I saw the Challenger and Columbus.

• Members

View Post

No, the only reason was because they wanted a spectacle.

The reason given for not removing the wings was that it would damage some heat-shield tiles and there weren't any replacements, as if they couldn't make some fake ones from foam to look exactly like the real ones...it's not like it's going back into space now is it?...no, they wanted a gigantic political wave the flag spectacle.

That is a reason right? You might not like it but they wanted to keep the integrity of the craft apparently. Just like they could make fake tiles, they can replace the trees and they will. Call it whatever you want but I don't see what the big deal is about the trees with the tree chopping guitar crowd here. I'm pretty liberal and I think the people of South LA made out ok on the deal. And if you don't live in South LA, what impact does this have on you? There are much bigger issues to be concerned with. When has anyone paid attention to trees in South LA? They have much bigger problems there even of the environmental kind if that is your grievance.

• Members

Many of the trees in LA (and many US cities) aren't urban friendly, they disrupt the sidewalks with large root systems and disrupt the power lines (90+% above ground lines in LA) with their height. The offended neighborhoods will get structural renovation along with new trees that will be my in sync with their surroundings, in a generation no one will ever know the old ones were gone and the neighborhood should hopefully end up in nicer shape. I left in Vancouver for years while most of Yaletown was just a giant hole in the ground left over from the World's Fair. ten years later, it was unrecognizable.It would probably be even nicer if the county/city weren't so anti-gentrification.

They must have eaten a ton of donuts...it was light when it arrived...

174691-me-1012shuttle17-brv.jpg

...dark when it left...

shuttle-randys-donuts.jpg

In a city that has two doughnut shops for every resident...many of them great...Randy's does deserve it's fame.

• Members

View Post

That is a reason right? You might not like it but they wanted to keep the integrity of the craft apparently.

So what your saying is that they cut down 400 trees just to maintain "integrity of the craft", which I believe is exactly the reason also, and you see nothing wrong with that?...

• Members

View Post

So what your saying is that they cut down 400 trees just to maintain "integrity of the craft", which I believe is exactly the reason also, and you see nothing wrong with that?...

I don't like that they did it but I don't see it being any worse than cutting down 400 trees to build guitars or any number of things. Forests are clear cut on a daily basis and I don't do anything about it. Being concerned with something like this is a drop in the bucket of a much larger issue. I don't see how this impacts anyones life other than the people of South LA. At the end of the day, I think they got a fair deal. Space shuttle parades happen once in a lifetime and probably never again. meanwhile, the issue of trees and oxygen is more related to human consumption and population. That is something you and I are directly responsible for. If I were to complain about those trees, I'd liken it to a guy driving a suburban telling a guy who drives a hummer to stop driving a gas guzzler because he is ruining the planet.

Edit: btw...if you read my original post in this thread, I mentioned I had zero interest in this thing. Clearly, I was in the minority and it also looks like it will continue to be a draw to the city. This wasn't paid for with taxes apparently so I think this is a good thing for the city at the end of the day.

• Members

View Post

I don't like that they did it but I don't see it being any worse than cutting down 400 trees to build guitars or any number of things. Forests are clear cut on a daily basis and I don't do anything about it. Being concerned with something like this is a drop in the bucket of a much larger issue. I don't see how this impacts anyones life other than the people of South LA. At the end of the day, I think they got a fair deal. Space shuttle parades happen once in a lifetime and probably never again. meanwhile, the issue of trees and oxygen is more related to human consumption and population. That is something you and I are directly responsible for. If I were to complain about those trees, I'd liken it to a guy driving a suburban telling a guy who drives a hummer to stop driving a gas guzzler because he is ruining the planet.

Edit: btw...if you read my original post in this thread, I mentioned I had zero interest in this thing. Clearly, I was in the minority and it also looks like it will continue to be a draw to the city. This wasn't paid for with taxes apparently so I think this is a good thing for the city at the end of the day.

So your saying yes it was worth it, even a 1000 or 10,000 if need be, just to maintain "integrity of the craft"? You side-stepped the question.

• Members

View Post

So your saying yes it was worth it, even a 1000 or 10,000 if need be, just to maintain "integrity of the craft"? You side-stepped the question.

He actually treads along a really good point. If you're not going to care about all the BS in the world, then don't care about any of it.

Excuse me now. I'm gonna go clear-cut the Fraser Valley just to improve the quality of my frisbee time.

• Members

View Post

Yes is was worth it. And it is 400 trees not 1000 or 10,000. And you are getting 800 tree to replace them. Even if only half reach maturity, that is still 400 young, healthy trees for future generations to enjoy, along with having the shuttle. I think that is a good trade. Not everything is about the "now".

• Members

View Post

Is to me. And obviously to L.A. as well.

If you go to the Yosemite area, you can see whole valleys that were clear cut 100 years ago, not the forest is as thick and as tall as ever. Trees grow. The shuttle is an artifact of history.

And that whole area of L.A., from Inglewood to the South Central is long-overdue for beautification, a project they already began with the new rail line down Exposition. You haven't said if you are in L.A., or even familiar with the area under discussion. Most of it is ghetto and this gives the city the money and opportunity to clean up some "broken windows", as the theory goes. I owned and lived in a house near there, this is a good thing.

• Members

View Post

You are now treading down a slippery slope. There were 400 trees cut and yes, i'm ok with it. At what number of trees would I have a problem? I don't know. I suppose whatever arbitrary number someone would like to drum up where there would be both immediate and long term environmental and economic damage. Is there any merit in debating hypotheticals? People were complaining about 400 trees cut, not 10,000.

I think your focusing on a local issue a bit much. This is going to have no impact almost everyone on this board and I live about 15 miles from there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by larry50

View Post

Most of the City of Los Angeles disagrees with you. Most of us think the price was well worth what we got.

The only opinion you can validate is your own. It really is silly to speak for someone else, but speaking on behalf of a few million people really is a joke.

• Members

Yeah... it was a shame to see those trees cut down just to move a historic artifact. I'd rather have seen them cut down to make 500,000 yellow page phone books that will be thrown out the same day they are delivered.

Am I right?

Cool pics, Larry. Just clicked through a few on CNN or Yahoo a couple days ago. Loved the one of a guy standing on his roof, snapping a pic as the shuttle moved past. It was like 30 feet away from his roof. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

This thread just depressed...some people would justify killing people for their oil.

Which is good in a way...I'll have the gas to go visit the shuttle.

Listen, if you want to complain about the cost...that's a valid argument. These aren't old growth forests; they were planted by the city that same as their replacements will be. But the image is the norm (not the exception) in L.A. You can be damn sure replacements won't be ficus trees and the sidewalks will be fixed as the new tress are planted.

prosser-sidewalk-jg-thumb-400x297-11252.

Archived