OT: Has anyone seen Searching for Sugarman?

kulardenu

• Members

I like how after all those years he said there in no shame in hard work... That guy is special!

More from an article on him.

DETROIT, MI - One of the most talked about independent films in the country features a musician who lives in Detroit's Woodbridge neighborhood that you've probably never heard of.

A rediscovered, 70-year-old folk musician named Rodriguez - whose real name Sixto Diaz Rodriguez - appears on the rise after starring in a award-winning film called "Searching for Sugar Man."

It's was released to theaters a week ago and will be available at Royal Oak's Main Art Theatre for at least another week. For showtimes, click here.

This reporter saw the film Tuesday night, a few hours before Rodriguez performed a song on CBS' "The Late Show with David Letterman," and can say its a must-see for those who love Detroit, pull for underdogs and dig the city's rich music history.

Kid Rock saw the film late last month and posted on his Facebook page a heartfelt review that stressed the importance of embracing talented musicians who unfortunatley get their careers halted by circumstances beyond their control.

"Just watched this documentary and it is incredible, moving and real!," Kid Rock wrote in a post. "In this day and age we all know that so much good music gets overlooked and the best songwriters and singers hardly ever get their due anymore.

"Pretty insane to think it was going on in the 70's as well. I am almost embarrassed that this man Rodriguez is from Detroit and I have never heard of him! This movie not only tells an incredible story but will also turn music lovers on to some unbelievable songs. It also sums up the problem with music nowadays and in the past. Radio stations, record labels, promoters, the press, video channels etc should all be ashamed that artists like this get overlooked everyday."

Kid Rock also said he feels "somewhat responsible to pass on great music when I hear it," possibly hinting that he could either work with Rodriguez in the future or try to help out other local musicians in the future.

"I have been thinking for sometime of releasing music of great unknown or slightly known artists and this documentary may be exactly what I needed to motivate me to do so...stay tuned," Kid Rock wrote.

The film "Searching for Sugar Man" tells the story of Rodriguez and his strange music career that stalled quickly in the U.S. but blew up in South Africa - of all places.

It addresses speculation that Rodriguez died years ago and eventually confirms he's still living in Detroit and apparently eager to stay out of the limelight.

The movie also has a soundtrack with some of Rodriguez's unreleased songs, including some that were part of an unreleased third album. The soundtrack and Rodriguez's first two albums - "Coming from Reality" and "Cold Fact" are also availabe on iTunes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kulardenu

View Post

Just caught this fascinating story on 60 min and now I want to see the film... It's amazing on how someone can be that famous and not know it!

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying to my wife as we were watching it. Amazing going to a country where you don't realize that you're all that popular and then suddenly your in a music hall with 5,000 people there and many of them are singling the lyrics to your songs that you never knew had even been heard on any level close to that scale.

• Members

Frankly after listening to some of his music I'm the one feeling angry! It's like I have been cheated out of listening to him all these years... WTF somebody dropped the ball on this guy in the quote unquote American Music Industry big time...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Haven't visited the forums in a while, so apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to lend another voice of recommendation for this film. It really is a fascinating story and I ended up discovering an artist I may not have heard otherwise. I later found out that some things weren't mentioned in the film (for example, he toured Australia in the 80s), but it was otherwise well done.

I like this live clip from a few years ago. I hear a lot of similarities to Nick Drake in his music.

• Members

Ended up seeing it that weekend - what a great movie!

I also had a chat with a friend from South Africa, and he said that he definitely had his album, which I think is just crazy. He confirmed what folks in the movie said, that everyone in South Africa had heard of Rodriguez. It's a great story, but an even better look at a humble, grounded, great human being who deserves even more of the acclaim he has already gotten.

Archived