What amp do I need?

EdgarSatriani

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation View Post
My amp disagrees with you. It's 15 watts of cathode biased tube driven heaven at any volume. The power tubes are ALWAYS pushed to their max...so there is virtually NO change in tone from quiet to loud using the master volume.

The old myth that "tube amps can't sound good unless their at ten" hasn't been true for at least over a decade now....if it ever was true.

+1

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
I don't think you need pedals...

"Need" and "you" being the operative words here. Because for what I do I do need pedals.

There are lots of different ways to skin a cat, and you seem to be one who falls in to the camp that thinks, "my way is the only right way."

You comment on "inspiring tone," and we see eye to eye on that. It is very important to find the tones one wants so that we can get on with playing verses endless tweaking of knobs.

Here is where I diverge from your line of thinking. You talked about needing to feel the amp, to have the walls vibrate a bit. After 20 years of playing I can tell you that I am tired of feeling amps, more accurately, my ears are tired of feeling amps. If you are regularly playing at a volume that is louder then a TV, then your ears are getting jacked and it's just a matter of time before you'll have a constant companion in tinnitus, as I do.
I usually play 1 to 3 hours a day. If I spent that time doing so with the volumes that you suggest, I would need a hearing aid and there would not be much enjoyment in that, or for the people who live very close to me.

I get the feeling that you don't have a lot of experience with using distortion and overdrive pedals, together (because I've listened to your distorted tone video clips). If you had, you would know that getting a great tone at lower volumes is certainly possible.

Loud is great, and a lot of fun, but what we need for regular practice and recording is different then what we need for filling a club with sound.

• Members

The separate EQ part is definitely going to keep your options limited. The Tubemeister 18 and Blackstar HT-20 meet your other requirements and are both nice amps but they have a shared EQ.
Ditto for Egnater tweaker and just about every other 8-20 watt amp out there. There might be a few exceptions but they are few and far between.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation View Post
My amp disagrees with you. It's 15 watts of cathode biased tube driven heaven at any volume. The power tubes are ALWAYS pushed to their max...so there is virtually NO change in tone from quiet to loud using the master volume.
+1. Both my Mesa Electra Dyne and Ampeg GVT 15 are capable of some great tones at very low volumes. it's kind of a requirement in my house because once you get things to those room-shaking levels that HIC requires then the rattling/echo/reverb is totally overwhelming and makes things sound like complete ass (old house, wood floors, basement under the floors,radiators, etc).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Rosenbomb View Post

Loud is great, and a lot of fun, but what we need for regular practice and recording is different then what we need for filling a club with sound.
I find that guitar amps in general, on their own aren't very good at filling a club with sound, as they are very directional in nature, and tend to blast a hole, rather than filling a space. So in that regard, what you use for practice, or at least rehearsal, mic'ed through a proper sound system will be a much better fit than a monster amp cranked on its own.

For recording on the other hand, that's when I let a loud tube amp do its thing. Stick it in another room with a mic and turn that sucker up. Let those tubes warm up too. Whether or not a quiet amp can sound good is a bit subjective, but there are few that will argue that tube amps really do shine when they're pushed. If captured well with a combination of mics, it can be an absolutely beautiful thing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

I don't think any amps, tube or solid state, sound decent at truly low volume. I think you need to get the room to respond a little bit before anything sounds good. I do think, though, that you should think of a DI and a good amp tone as two different goals, though. It's my limited experience that it's hard to get both to be ideal. A good Character Series pedal for DI, and then a good amp like a Marshall Class 5, that should solve the issue and keeps it simple.

I really like my Class 5...thumb.gif

• Members

I have Yamaha THR10 and I think for 'instrumental rock' like Vai or Satch it's not the best option.. for that.. you want something like a Blackstar or other small combo or head.. (my HT-60 does fine).. with a OD boost to provide extra saturation and compression (to make up for the fact that the amp isn't 'cranked').. it doesn't matter if it's 20W 40W 100W.. in this instance.. I really don't think wattage matters that much.. more about EQ or amp voicing options.. things like this.. anything can work.. just need a way to attentuate the volume and add some extra saturation/compression.. I am happy with Blackstar.. others might recommend.. DSL.. or Egnater or one of the other ones.. in the right hands.. any of them will work.

Heck.. even a solidstate amp with decent cleans like a Roland.. some a pedal like a "Satchurator" could work..

Or a modeller into some decent speakers/monotors could work.. I hate headphones though.. I like to hear/feel the air moving in the room.

All of this is my experience at least..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong View Post
The separate EQ part is definitely going to keep your options limited. The Tubemeister 18 and Blackstar HT-20 meet your other requirements and are both nice amps but they have a shared EQ.
Ditto for Egnater tweaker and just about every other 8-20 watt amp out there. There might be a few exceptions but they are few and far between.
Things like this are WAY more important than wattage IMO.

He's trying to play modern instrumental rock.

Back in the classic rock days.. the preamps were weak.. and they needed to crank the power section to get full distortion and 'poweramp distortion'.. for that.. something like a 1W amp or a Yamaha THR is AWESOME. One channel and you get all your tones from volume and tone knobs on the guitar.

Modern rock is all about preamp distortion, compression, saturation etc.. about headroom.. and clarity under high gain.. it's all about the preamp. The higher wattages just give you more clarity and headroom for larger venues.. or playing with louder drummers.

I do agree that it's always nice to get the speakers moving some air.. and that makes a good sound.. but that's not about tubes or no tubes.. that's not about wattage. That's about sheer volume.

Archived