NGD - 1973 Fender Musicmaster

honeyiscool

• Members

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more guitars this year. But then, why did I walk into a guitar store on a bonus paycheck day?

Here it is:

21895_10100590989409281_1541106748_n.jpg

Everything is stock! Awesome low action and stock pickup is fun. Intonates well enough! Date code says Jan 1973.

Ever since I became a Liz Phair fan, I've wanted an Olympic White Duo-Sonic, and I now have something that looks just like it! I did look under the hood and it's got the Duo-Sonic routing, so I could, in theory, convert this into a Duo-Sonic, but honestly, why would I bother? I'm more of a neck guy anyway, and this thing is original and I will keep it such. I have other more versatile guitars, like my Mustang, so I'm happy to keep this beauty as it is. smile.gif

• Members

Liz basically has two guitars she plays a lot.

That Duo Sonic:

515CpVNDysL._SS400_.jpg

And the Musicmaster:

2806039744_72ce88d44e.jpg

Mine's sorta in the middle. smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son View Post
Nice! Kind of reminds me a bit of the old Bronco I almost bought back in the '90s. I need to figure out the differences between all of these CBS Fender offsets...

Enjoy! thumb.gif
Musicmaster - The original student guitar. Neck pickup only. Three-saddle hardtail bridge.
Duo Sonic - Two pickups. Three-saddle hardtail bridge.
Mustang - Two pickups. Fender Dynamic Vibrato.
Bronco - Bridge pickup only. Unique Bronco Vibrato.

I think that's it for the vintage ones.

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat View Post
and they don't break the bank.
That's the best part, indeed. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
Musicmaster - The original student guitar. Neck pickup only. Three-saddle hardtail bridge.
Duo Sonic - Two pickups. Three-saddle hardtail bridge.
Mustang - Two pickups. Fender Dynamic Vibrato.
Bronco - Bridge pickup only. Unique Bronco Vibrato.

I think that's it for the vintage ones.
Don't forget the Swinger! A fairly odd attempt by CBS to use up all the unsold 22.5" necks and a bunch of Musicmaster (and then Bass V) bodies by throwing them at the bandsaw ...
titlepic.JPG

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MatthewTKK View Post
Don't forget the Swinger! A fairly odd attempt by CBS to use up all the unsold 22.5" necks and a bunch of Musicmaster (and then Bass V) bodies by throwing them at the bandsaw ...
That body is too much for me. smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by xrleroyx View Post
Gahd dammit. I really wanted a musicmaster for awhile. I found a sweet one at OSG in blue for like $600 but I could probably have gotten it for $450.
Aww, you should have. That's a pretty fun setup. Really puts you in touch with the notes to be played.

Archived