Vibrato for a Strat

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

I really love the G&L dual fulcrum bridge and am pretty sure that's what I'm going to convert my #1 to.....$99

Picture%20063a.jpg

I've used a Wilko VS100, great floating vibrato unit, love vintage 6 pointers, but before I order the G&L, can a few of you point me in the direction of some recent innovations in Strat vibratos....no Callahams, no expensive recreations of stuff that's been done already, just plain damn clever way to change pitch on a Strat with a bar

• Members

Innovative? Can't really help.

1. My all-time favorite trem is the PRS design originally supplied by MannMade...Mannmade still makes ones for PRS, Strats and even two-point mounts. The one on my old '93 PRS was the nicest, most accurate non-locking trem I've ever used.
250170454233-1.jpg

I also like

2. The Wilkinson VG300, which pairs their two-point design with the bent steel saddles of their more vintage-style models...
wil-vg300.jpg

3. The Hipshot...
golduscontour.jpg

4. And, since you are in the UK, you can get the convertible Wilkinson that is available in North America, the VS100C that allows you to lock it into fixed bridge.

• Members

Super-Vee (with a locking nut and fine tuners) or Blade Runner (non-"locking")

Uses a piece of spring steel as it's movement point rather than 2 knife edges or 6 screw holes. The front of the bridge is screwed right to the body and the spring steel actually flexes.

Check it out here.
http://www.super-vee.com/technology.html

As far as quality/tone? Eric Johnson installed a Super Vee on one of his Strats for the Experience Hendrix tour. I figure if a guy that obsessed with every little minutae of detail regarding his tone uses one, they have to be pretty decent.

Yes, at $140 for the Blade Runner and $350 for the Super Vee, it's expensive, but it's rather unique in design. Not to mention that the Super Vee is supposed to give you Floyd-esque tuning stability without any non-reversable modifications to your guitar. So, you can theoretically grab your 1954 mint condition Strat, toss one of them in, play it, remove it and reinstall the original bridge and nut and no one should be able to tell you did anything.

Haven't used one myself, yet, but if/when I upgrade my Strat clone, that's the bridge I'll likely go with.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum View Post
Is this an answer to my original question?
If this was your original question:

...can a few of you point me in the direction of some recent innovations in Strat vibratos....no Callahams, no expensive recreations of stuff that's been done already, just plain damn clever way to change pitch on a Strat with a bar

then my answer is yes, that is a pretty damn clever way to change pitch on a Strat IMHO. And it's free.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
If this was your original question:

...can a few of you point me in the direction of some recent innovations in Strat vibratos....no Callahams, no expensive recreations of stuff that's been done already, just plain damn clever way to change pitch on a Strat with a bar

then my answer is yes, that is a pretty damn clever way to change pitch on a Strat IMHO. And it's free.
Sorry Verne but you didn't read between the lineswink.gif

• Members
Carl Verheyen has a great youtube demo on how to setup a standard strat whammy. Works like a hot damn.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=carl+...ient=firefox-a
I get everything about that, except that whole angled claw concept. Doesn't the fact that the bridge moves as one unit kind of negate any effect that would have?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bubkus_jones

View Post

I get everything about that, except that whole angled claw concept. Doesn't the fact that the bridge moves as one unit kind of negate any effect that would have?

In the one I watched he talks about the different string guages being the reason the claw needs to be angled. I was skeptical but tried it and am very impressed with the results. Stays in tune real well and bends are more musical because you're maxing out at musical intervals.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown49

View Post

Ratae, how does the G&L bridge compare to the VS100? I was planning on getting a VS100 for a parts caster I'm building, but I like the looks of that G&L unit.

All G&L users are very very happy with theirs, but I've not used one. The VS100 is about as close as you can get to Floydsville without going all the way, superb vibrato unit

• Members
In the one I watched he talks about the different string guages being the reason the claw needs to be angled. I was skeptical but tried it and am very impressed with the results. Stays in tune real well and bends are more musical because you're maxing out at musical intervals.
I know his theory behind it, and I could understand if the high-e side moved at a different rate than the low-e side, but they don't. Here's a video I found that shares my thoughts.

All that being said, if that's what works for Carl, all the power too him. I just think it might be something along the lines of "taking off the spring cavity cover changes your tone".

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Les Paul Lover View Post
I like my Vigier 2 points vibrato - no knife edge, it's mounted needle anchored on 2 ball bearings. Between that and the graphite nut, it comes back to pitch all the time and is extremely stable. (I set mine floating)

It might be their proprietary design though.
AFAIK it is indeed Vigiers own design

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Innovative? Can't really help.

1. My all-time favorite trem is the PRS design originally supplied by MannMade...Mannmade still makes ones for PRS, Strats and even two-point mounts. The one on my old '93 PRS was the nicest, most accurate non-locking trem I've ever used.
250170454233-1.jpg
Yes, the PRS is quite a basic design, but still utilises what Callaham do and cheekily Callaham make it sound like their idea, but it's been used on certainly ESP and originally Gotoh vintage style vibratos for a long time, and that is putting the point of fulcrum through the centre line of the screws and not behind them like the Fender original does. The very clever Wilkinson's are all licensed Gotoh units who just seem to get how to do vibrato units well, but I find that range looks slightly out of place on classic Strats.

I will keep my eyes out for a used Hipshot, but at 99 of your dorrars the G&L unit is hard to beat both in function and value

Many thanks for all your contributions, it has given me suitable food for contemplation

• Moderators

Super-Vee (with a locking nut and fine tuners) or Blade Runner (non-"locking")

Uses a piece of spring steel as it's movement point rather than 2 knife edges or 6 screw holes. The front of the bridge is screwed right to the body and the spring steel actually flexes.

Check it out here.

http://www.super-vee.com/technology.html

The Bladerunner will figure highly in my considerations, I'm really digging that piece of spring steel.....awesome idea:thu:

• Members

Innovation...I'll give a nod to the GFS usa strat 2 point for $50 shipped,

http://www.guitarfetish.com/USA-Strat-2-Point-Hardened-Steel-Upgrade-Tremolo-System_p_775.html

It is a well manufactured bridge. Block vs bent saddles is a personal thing, and I do like both. I used this bridge on a custom build a few years ago. I used it on a guitar that I wanted to play heavier rock on, and so the block saddles were a good fit for that application. I have no complaints about the bridge and I really do like the thicker arm for this trem. So the innovation for me comes down to a quality piece of gear for a very affordable price.

• Members

Does the G&L drop right in to a 2-point strat or do you have to muck with things?

On the setup videos - all I'm saying is I found my strat plays and stays in tune better since I did a Carl setup. It will still go out of tune up or down a cent or so, but all the strings go out of tune the same so it sounds more musical to my ear. It could be the koolaid.

• Members

Innovation...I'll give a nod to the GFS usa strat 2 point for $50 shipped,

I bought a black version of that off an ebay seller for $35 a number of years ago. Works well. I love the steel block and ability to keep the whammy bar in place. Certainly nothing unique to GFS - that model has been around for years.

Archived