Humbuckers and P90 in Guitar....Which Way?

deejaid

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by deejaid View Post
It seems 90% of the time I see a guitar with a humbucker and a p90, the humbucker is at the bridge and the p90 at the neck position.

I have my Epi Spirit (LP Jr shape)
Do you have a pic? If you have what I think you do you don't want to change the bridge pup. Does it have a Gibson style open book headstock? If so you probably have Tim Shaw humbuckers in it. These are really great, valuable and sought after pickups. These were made as Epiphones and then some of them were relabeled as Gibson.

The one I had was a Gibson Spirit and you could see the Epiphone lable outline under the Gibson name. It had a single Tim Shaw in the bridge but there were 2 pickup versions too.

"The Gibson Spirit is a lesser-known model produced from 1982 to 1986 by Gibson in the Nashville, Tennessee, and Kalamazoo, Michigan, factories. It was initially produced in the Kalamazoo factory under the Epiphone nameplate. In response to poor sales, some Epiphone models were changed to Gibson, and a faint Epiphone logo can be seen under the Gibson logo on the peghead."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Spirit

Anyway, if this is what you have I wouldn't mess with it. Buy a PRS SE Soapbar and put a mini-humbucker in the position of your choice.

Mine looked exactly like this one:
1981_Gibson_Spirit_I_83052537_zpsfea52b4

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by deejaid View Post
It seems 90% of the time I see a guitar with a humbucker and a p90, the humbucker is at the bridge and the p90 at the neck position.

I have my Epi Spirit (LP Jr shape)
Do you have a pic? If you have what I think you do you don't want to change the bridge pup. Does it have a Gibson style open book headstock? If so you probably have Tim Shaw humbuckers in it. These are really great, valuable and sought after pickups. These were made as Epiphones and then some of them were relabeled as Gibson.

The one I had was a Gibson Spirit and you could see the Epiphone lable outline under the Gibson name. It had a single Tim Shaw in the bridge but there were 2 pickup versions too.

"The Gibson Spirit is a lesser-known model produced from 1982 to 1986 by Gibson in the Nashville, Tennessee, and Kalamazoo, Michigan, factories. It was initially produced in the Kalamazoo factory under the Epiphone nameplate. In response to poor sales, some Epiphone models were changed to Gibson, and a faint Epiphone logo can be seen under the Gibson logo on the peghead."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Spirit

Anyway, if this is what you have I wouldn't mess with it. Buy a PRS SE Soapbar and put a mini-humbucker in the position of your choice.

Mine looked exactly like this one:
1981_Gibson_Spirit_I_83052537_zpsfea52b4

• Members

Here is a thread with my Epiphone Spirit. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...i-s&highlight=

I'm aware these are Tim Shaw pickups. Like I said I love the neck pickup. The bridge doesn't sound bad, but I think it would be a more versitile guitar with a P90 and Humbucker in it. If I do switch out the Shaw humbucker, I'll definitely keep it. This guitar had the pots changed and Fralins in it at one point anyway. I can always put it back to original.

• Members

Here is a thread with my Epiphone Spirit. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...i-s&highlight=

I'm aware these are Tim Shaw pickups. Like I said I love the neck pickup. The bridge doesn't sound bad, but I think it would be a more versitile guitar with a P90 and Humbucker in it. If I do switch out the Shaw humbucker, I'll definitely keep it. This guitar had the pots changed and Fralins in it at one point anyway. I can always put it back to original.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead View Post
P-rails in both if you can't decide. It is easily my favorite SD "P90" and the HB mode is very usable.
I think for the OP's purpose this would be an excellent compromise.

For me both P90/Bucker combos make sense, but it depends on what you ask for, and a bridge P90 needs setting up well, both height and and screws

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by deejaid

View Post

I figure it should be the perfect setup for me. I guess I just wonder why so many P90/humbucker combos come the other way?

I've always thought it was bass-ackwards too,fwiw. Have never had a guitar w/P-90 and HB together though. But as has been mentioned, the Fat Tele (of which I have a couple, one w/a regular neckbucker and one with a mini neckbucker) is set up w/single in bridge and HB at neck. I like that setup.

Archived