Project: $100 Yamaha AES-820

XelderX

• Members

Just a quick update. The pickups are finished and I'm hoping we can have the guitar back together sometime next week. We are moving the output jack to the front of the guitar where the tone control used to be. The original jack was in the access cover on the back of the guitar. The routes for the pickups had to be enlarged just a hair to fit the covers on the P-90s since the original spec was with un-covered pickups.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a quick update. The pickups are finished and I'm hoping we can have the guitar back together sometime next week. We are moving the output jack to the front of the guitar where the tone control used to be. The original jack was in the access cover on the back of the guitar. The routes for the pickups had to be enlarged just a hair to fit the covers on the P-90s since the original spec was with un-covered pickups.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by XelderX View Post
I agree that most guitars warrant a nicer paint job. With this guitar though, it's got so much personality that I don't want to cover up what makes it special. She has had a rough life and covering that up seems disingenuous. Besides, no one could ever duplicate what I have now. I can't wait until the pickups are done.
You have the correct philosophy. Keep her as she is.

What's this about building P94s?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by XelderX View Post
I agree that most guitars warrant a nicer paint job. With this guitar though, it's got so much personality that I don't want to cover up what makes it special. She has had a rough life and covering that up seems disingenuous. Besides, no one could ever duplicate what I have now. I can't wait until the pickups are done.
You have the correct philosophy. Keep her as she is.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco View Post

There is a guy near me that builds custom pickups, he is somewhat known on this forum...Chris at Sin Pickups. He is building a set of P94s for this guitar. I don't have the specs for them handy, but he is making some adjustments to the typical P90/94 winding and magnets to hopefully make them work better in the alder body. The good thing is that he can go back and change them if something sounds off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
No.
Please drill it out & put it on the bottom.

Noted. We can change it later if we don't like it. I still have the stock rear plate so I can always move it back to the rear cover without drilling out the body.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco View Post

There is a guy near me that builds custom pickups, he is somewhat known on this forum...Chris at Sin Pickups. He is building a set of P94s for this guitar. I don't have the specs for them handy, but he is making some adjustments to the typical P90/94 winding and magnets to hopefully make them work better in the alder body. The good thing is that he can go back and change them if something sounds off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
No.
Please drill it out & put it on the bottom.

Noted. We can change it later if we don't like it. I still have the stock rear plate so I can always move it back to the rear cover without drilling out the body.

• Members

I have a AES820 I bought off of Ebay years ago and the guy had shipped it in a subpar box with inadequate padding and the 3 way switch was busted off. I never found a suitable replacement as IIRC a Les Paul 3 way switch was too big to fit in that tiny cavity. Also it was way too recessed in the cavity to really do any work on it. Any advice on working on the 3 way switch in these AES-820s and what a suitable replacement would be? This is a guitar I bought in say 2001 or so and it is still unplayed since then.

• Members

I have a AES820 I bought off of Ebay years ago and the guy had shipped it in a subpar box with inadequate padding and the 3 way switch was busted off. I never found a suitable replacement as IIRC a Les Paul 3 way switch was too big to fit in that tiny cavity. Also it was way too recessed in the cavity to really do any work on it. Any advice on working on the 3 way switch in these AES-820s and what a suitable replacement would be? This is a guitar I bought in say 2001 or so and it is still unplayed since then.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1

View Post

I recently busted the switch on my AES 620 when the case fell over the wrong way. The part # from Yamaha for the switch you need is QC546700. I have the AES 820 Service Manual in .pdf from Yamaha. PM me your email and I'll forward it to you. I would call Yamaha and see if the switch is still available. They were extremely helpful the last time I called them about my 820.

• Members

I like it! I have this strat body that had the original finish, three complete finishes applied by me and three partial finishes where I just painted one area to test the color of a paint. I started to strip it down and stopped when I realized that I kinda liked it the way it was.

icon_lol.gif

DSC_9737a1.jpg

Archived