NGD But Should I send it back?

lespaulist

• Members

I can't believe some people think that's no big deal and that you're nit-picking. For the prices they charge this sort of thing should never happen. If you ever decide to sell it, the first thing a prospective buyer would point out is that the guitar is a second and want you to knock 30% off the price. I hope the truss-rod wasn't installed by the same person. Get them to replace it AND give you a refund for trying to pass crap off as A-grade.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe some people think that's no big deal and that you're nit-picking. For the prices they charge this sort of thing should never happen. If you ever decide to sell it, the first thing a prospective buyer would point out is that the guitar is a second and want you to knock 30% off the price. I hope the truss-rod wasn't installed by the same person. Get them to replace it AND give you a refund for trying to pass crap off as A-grade.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

Send it back. MF will put it on their scratch and dent list and I will buy it for a nice discount. Then I will replace all of the gold hardware for nickel, the way God intended it to be in the first place.

God is actually a matte black kind of guy, but I'll let him know you've been thinking of him.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

Send it back. MF will put it on their scratch and dent list and I will buy it for a nice discount. Then I will replace all of the gold hardware for nickel, the way God intended it to be in the first place.

God is actually a matte black kind of guy, but I'll let him know you've been thinking of him.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

That was my original point. If it's just the bridge and it were me, I'd have them send me a new bridge. But the OP still hasn't addressed his concerns re.the finish flaw on the back...We're talking about a $5,000+ guitar here...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

That was my original point. If it's just the bridge and it were me, I'd have them send me a new bridge. But the OP still hasn't addressed his concerns re.the finish flaw on the back...We're talking about a $5,000+ guitar here...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

Unless you absolutely LOVE it, send it back...That's a damn expensive guitar to be unhappy with and if someone comes along and says you're nitpicking, they've obviously never spent in excess of $2000 on a guitar.

Yes, a guitar at this price should be perfect. But don't let non-meaningful imperfections ruin an otherwise great guitar. Would you really want to exchange a great guitar with a few small cosmetic issues for a cosmetically perfect example that's a dog?

I actually recently custom ordered a pretty expensive guitar that came with a minor finish flaw. But it is a killer guitar. So it wasn't even a question whether I would keep it or not.

• Members

View Post

Unless you absolutely LOVE it, send it back...That's a damn expensive guitar to be unhappy with and if someone comes along and says you're nitpicking, they've obviously never spent in excess of $2000 on a guitar.

Yes, a guitar at this price should be perfect. But don't let non-meaningful imperfections ruin an otherwise great guitar. Would you really want to exchange a great guitar with a few small cosmetic issues for a cosmetically perfect example that's a dog?

I actually recently custom ordered a pretty expensive guitar that came with a minor finish flaw. But it is a killer guitar. So it wasn't even a question whether I would keep it or not.

• Members

Just food for thought, I had a similar issue with a Gibson, I wanted to keep the guitar and requested they send me a replacement for the defective part, Gibson insisted that I ship the guitar directly to them and they sent me a replacement...maybe it was because the guitar passed inspection and it was a matter of quality control?

• Members

Just food for thought, I had a similar issue with a Gibson, I wanted to keep the guitar and requested they send me a replacement for the defective part, Gibson insisted that I ship the guitar directly to them and they sent me a replacement...maybe it was because the guitar passed inspection and it was a matter of quality control?

• Members

As long as we keep looking at the value of a musical instrument in terms of money rather than music we will continue to feel the need for such discussions.

None of my guitars are cosmetically perfect but they are fabulous and expressive musical instruments - each with it's own character and I would miss any one of them if they were stolen but not because of the dollar value.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Presc

View Post

Would you really want to exchange a great guitar with a few small cosmetic issues for a cosmetically perfect example that's a dog?

A $5000 guitar is more than just a musical instrument, it's an investment. Like Koiwoi said, if you have to sell it(let's say you lose your job and unemployment runs out), you're automatically screwed by the manufacturer and/or retailer. If the retailer wants to refund a nice chunk of the purchase price, that's another matter.

Bottom line-if you're dropping that kind of cash on a guitar, there's no reason for you to "settle"...you should get a damn fine player with no flaws...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by onelife

View Post

As long as we keep looking at the value of a musical instrument in terms of money rather than music we will continue to feel the need for such discussions.

None of my guitars are cosmetically perfect but they are fabulous and expressive musical instruments - each with it's own character and I would miss any one of them if they were stolen but not because of the dollar value.

In a perfect world, Al Qaeda wouldn't hate us, money would be meaningless, and Gibson would just give their ES-335's awayidea.gif

• Members

View Post

In a perfect world, Al Qaeda wouldn't hate us, money would be meaningless, and Gibson would just give their ES-335's away

we can get closer to that "perfect world" by looking at true value and not the abstract dollar value that we assign to things (that ultimately results in madness such as exemplified by "they hate us for our freedom")

if you choose to be a slave to the dollar then that is your choice but my choice is to be a servant to the music instead

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman

View Post

You paid good money. Gibson must deliver a superior product.

A few years ago I bought a new Gibson ES-137 Custom. The guitar had some serious cosmetic issues particularly with the binding but it plays and sounds great. The neck and ebony fingerboard feel so good it is a joy to play the instrument. The sounds available from the quality Gibson pickups and Varitone circuit are outstanding.

There is no way this guitar approaches the cosmetic perfection of a PRS or Yamaha but, IMO, it is still a "superior product" because, as a professional guitarist, I need a reliable good sounding instrument that is going to deliver the goods consistently and this does it.

• Members

Good luck with sending it back and getting another one that's absolutely perfect. I have more than one friend completely soured on Gibson because of this kind of thing. Pay $3000 to $6000 for a guitar built just for you, pay a big deposit and wait for them to build it, and some poor sap got in a hurry one day on your guitar. Send it back and wait and they send you another one with bigger flaws.This kind of stuff is why I would never order a Gibson. Any Gibson I buy will be after inspecting and playing it. These particular niggles would not bother me if it felt right and sounded good, because I would be likely to have worse cosmetic things happen quickly in the course of playing it. But I understand that a guitar costing that much should be perfect.

If I ever pay that much for a guitar that I have to order and wait, its gonna be built by basically one dude, and I'll wait as long as necc for him to get it perfect before it leaves his shop.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by onelife View Post
A few years ago I bought a new Gibson ES-137 Custom. The guitar had some serious cosmetic issues particularly with the binding but it plays and sounds great. The neck and ebony fingerboard feel so good it is a joy to play the instrument. The sounds available from the quality Gibson pickups and Varitone circuit are outstanding.

There is no way this guitar approaches the cosmetic perfection of a PRS or Yamaha but, IMO, it is still a "superior product" because, as a professional guitarist, I need a reliable good sounding instrument that is going to deliver the goods consistently and this does it.
That's crazy talk. You don't think they should pay attention to cosmetic details just because they're Gibson? You've been drinking the coolaid. There's NO reason for poor workmanship other than to cut corners and get more profit. You can talk all you want about existentialist karma - this is called rip-off.

Archived