NGD But Should I send it back?

lespaulist

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lespaulist

View Post

Well I contacted Gibson and sent them the pictures. They said to send it back so that's what I am doing. For the cost, it should play great and look great. I am planning on having this guitar for a very long time.

Good, glad to hear it. Post the new one when it shows.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by lespaulist

View Post

So I just got a new Gibson es-335. I have two cosmetic issues with the guitar and I am wondering if I should send it back for another one. I have a picture of the first issue below:

photo_bridge.jpg

I can't even see a problem here......I think I may be looking at gold hardware, I'm not even sure about thatfrown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

That's crazy talk. You don't think they should pay attention to cosmetic details just because they're Gibson? You've been drinking the coolaid. There's NO reason for poor workmanship other than to cut corners and get more profit. You can talk all you want about existentialist karma - this is called rip-off.

But...but....

it's just money, brah.

I'm guessing onelife is made out of it :p

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

View Post

I can't even see a problem here......I think I may be looking at gold hardware, I'm not even sure about thatfrown.gif

Honestly, that's what I was thinking...maybe the little divet-looking thing on the hardware? confused.gif

I still say send it back if you aren't happy!

• Members

If you love how the guitar plays, I'd say send pictures of the problem areas to the seller and ask for a price adjustment or a warranty repair.

If the flaws really bother you and you couldn't live with them even if you got money back, then by all means send back the guitar.

Didn't see this post.

Well I contacted Gibson and sent them the pictures. They said to send it back so that's what I am doing. For the cost, it should play great and look great. I am planning on having this guitar for a very long time.

Good luck with that. A friend of mine had a similar problem with his $2,700 Gibson acoustic, except this time it was a non-functioning trussrod. He tried several guitars in the store but none of them sounded as good. He ended up getting a price adjustment and kept the guitar.

This is part of the reason why I've soured on Gibson as well. Too many imperfections and problems are slipping through, even in their Custom Shop instruments.

• Members

If you've played a couple of ES-335's and this one is particularly special, keep it. Otherwise, send it back.

That's a '63 Historic Reissue? If so then for $5000 it should be absolutely flawless. I wouldn't accept misapplied stain or any hardware defects at all.

There are plenty of sub-$1000 guitars that would ship absolutely perfect, how hard is it to get a $5000 guitar right?

• Members

that would've bothered me for a minute... but it would've just been a shoulder-shrugger and i'd forget about it as soon as i started playing it.

I'd try buffing it out, which i'd assume you could make it disappear with some kind of polish.

anyways... people like to bash gibson, but thats cool that they're always willing to swap out guitars for even the smallest flaws. They could just tell you to contact the dealer you bought it from, but nope, they handle it on their own, which i think is pretty cool.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

But...but....

it's just money, brah.

I'm guessing onelife is made out of it :p

No I'm not made of money. Once I stopped taking money seriously as an issue in my life, things have turned out to be 100% better for me. I give most of my services and material possessions away freely and when I need something, which is not very often, it usually finds it's way to me.

Many years ago I had a beautiful Les Paul Custom that was stolen one night after a gig. For a long time afterward I tried to figure out a way to save enough money to get another one. Once I stopped looking at things from the financial perspective, someone let me play their Les Paul at a gig one night and came up to me after a show and said "I love the way that guitar sounds when you play it... it's yours, a gift". It is the best guitar I have ever had.

Once I stopped holding things back until someone paid me the ransom, it seems I no longer need to pay ransom either. I must give credit for this outlook on life to my wife of twenty years. When I first met her I noticed that, if somebody needed something and she had it, she would simply give it to them - including TVs, houses and cars. At first I thought she was a little off the wall but at one point we needed a car but didn't have any money. Someone gave us an old Nissan Stanza with 500,000 miles on it. We drove it for a year and then someone else needed a car so we gave it to them - that's when I realized the power of kindness and generosity.

Money is only important if you think it is but, unfortunately, most people are afraid to let go of the thought at this time - but that is changing.

Archived