Low Output Humbucker with great "tone": Who makes one?

New Trail

• Members

I Can vouch for the Rose New Dawn as well as Day Breaker. Bothe excellent pickups. Ken does very good work.

The New Dawn is as vintage as it gets, while the Day Breaker is more of a rockabilly flavor.

EG

and I got no problem with people supporting small builders.... but diceman borders on shill when it comes to his constant rose pickups promotion...

a simple "Rose pickups new dawn or california are a great option" would suffice... unless youve really tried all there is out there, dont make claims as such

• Members

So, basically ...

Every full-service pickup manufacturer, from boutique to mass-market, from tiny to huge ... will offer a PAF-style low-output 'bucker option. That narrows things down ...

Yup. The "secret" to a good PAF isn't much of a secret these days.

The real secret to PAFs is that the originals were supposedly all over the place. Some hot, some not, some even, some mismatched.

The 57 Classic and Seth Lovers are based on the drawings, with even coils.

Burstbuckers have mismatched coils, which give more bite.

That seems to be the big difference between the two flavors.

I prefer the smoother sound of the even coils. Others like the edge of the mismatch. That's just preference.

EG

• Moderators

S

The real secret to PAFs is that the originals were supposedly all over the place. Some hot, some not, some even, some mismatched.

The 57 Classic and Seth Lovers are based on the drawings, with even coils.

Burstbuckers have mismatched coils, which give more bite.

That seems to be the big difference between the two flavors.

I prefer the smoother sound of the even coils. Others like the edge of the mismatch. That's just preference.

EG

It's strange that while it's almost universally accepted that Al II, IV and V unpotted are the way to go that Gibson offres no unpotted Al IVs or Vs

• Members

So, basically ...

Every full-service pickup manufacturer, from boutique to mass-market, from tiny to huge ... will offer a PAF-style low-output 'bucker option. That narrows things down ...

I think I want something with a lower than PAF output. I have two PAF's and they sound great, but for what I have in mind I think I want something a bit less powerful if that makes sense.

• Moderators

I think I want something with a lower than PAF output. I have two PAF's and they sound great, but for what I have in mind I think I want something a bit less powerful if that makes sense.

PAFs are considered to be vintage (ie low wind) pickups and those with Al II magnets are the lowest....so you're down there already really, unless you get a boutique winder to wind you summat in the 4-5k range, which at the bridge ain't that good.....very low winds in the neck can be uber sweet...but not at the bridge

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates would be a great way to go, Fender use them on the HSS setups to great effect

• Members

I Can vouch for the Rose New Dawn as well as Day Breaker. Bothe excellent pickups. Ken does very good work.

The New Dawn is as vintage as it gets, while the Day Breaker is more of a rockabilly flavor.

EG

I got the Day Breaker set from EG and they were great pickups. I installed them in a customer's Epi Dot and he absolutely loves them!

• Members

have you tried all those other things mentioned or are you just blindly pimping Rose pickups as per usual?

Not ALL of them. The Dimarzio 36th yes. But, I did, in fact, have a set of $300 Florance Voo Doo '59s in my SG when I got it and they're being replaced by a set of Californias.

Now, don't get me wrong, the Voo Doos are wonderful, and from my understanding suppose to be among the best, but I prefer my hand wound Rose Pickups that I own... To my ears they sounded better anyway. But hey, the Californias will only be ny 4th set of Rose hand wounds, so I guess my experience I limited:thu:

• Members

If you are looking for a low output pickup that is lower then a standard Paf maybe check out the Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell! Don't let the name fool you it is not a metal pickup by any means! It is a great pickup in the neck with a hotter pickup in the bridge, but also works really well in the bridge with single coils! It can be a little bright in the bridge so it is a good idea to make sure you hook it up to a tone pot! It almost has a single coil on steriods sound in the bridge with no noise and cuts through a mix super well!

• Members

The only experience I've had with lower output humbuckers is the BKP Stormy Monday.

I've yet to hear a clip that didn't sound great, although I'm not sure how it would sound in a Strat.

http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers?=vintage&pickup=stormy_monday

• Members

I like the idea of a low output humbucker, hopefully with wonderful tone, to put in an HSS configuration. I'm thinking of a pickup that would be pretty much balanced with the single coils but a little fuller and maybe just a little louder.

Any ideas?

How low output are you looking for? Pretty much every winder has they're flavor of low wind PAF replica in the 7.0 - 8.0k output range, at that it's pretty much just pick your price range, listen to clips, and then go with your gut. If you're looking for something lower output than that Lollar just came out with a super low output pickup, The El Rayo, which is supposed to be designed to match up with single coils, another option would be Reilander who's humbuckers are in the 6.0k range.

• Members

If you are looking for a low output pickup that is lower then a standard Paf maybe check out the Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell! Don't let the name fool you it is not a metal pickup by any means! It is a great pickup in the neck with a hotter pickup in the bridge, but also works really well in the bridge with single coils! It can be a little bright in the bridge so it is a good idea to make sure you hook it up to a tone pot! It almost has a single coil on steriods sound in the bridge with no noise and cuts through a mix super well!

+1

It's also crystal clear! Very articulate pup.

• Members

How low output are you looking for? Pretty much every winder has they're flavor of low wind PAF replica in the 7.0 - 8.0k output range, at that it's pretty much just pick your price range, listen to clips, and then go with your gut. If you're looking for something lower output than that Lollar just came out with a super low output pickup, The El Rayo, which is supposed to be designed to match up with single coils, another option would be Reilander who's humbuckers are in the 6.0k range.

Those two sound like what I have in mind! Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Dean Flathead bridge is awesome. I use it with Texas specials on a 250k pot. Incredibly smooth and clear. Great for fusion ala Holdsworth, Howe, etc. Highly recommended and pretty affordable. 7.9k alnico 2 magnet. The Nostalgia is also killer. Alittle brghter and hotter. 8.1 alnico 5. Tight.

Archived