Anyone have a Yamaha Solid State amp?

cratz2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a couple of [what seem to be incredibly rare] Yamaha SR50-112 combos. They are solid state, twin channel with single 12" Celestion speaker. They also have a real spring reverb - no digital effects here!

They are superb for dry clean, jazzy style playing - I'm not big on effects and only use minimal reverb when I'm playing through them. The gain channel is a bit too dry and wasp in a jar - possibly due to the low volume I play at.

Ideal for recording as there is virtually no background noise / hiss.

One of them was previously owned by 80's UK pop star Rick Astley - apparently presented to him by Yamaha along with a guitar [which he supposedly still has].

A few quick snaps:

yamaha-sr50-112-01.jpg

yamaha-sr50-112-02.jpg

yamaha-sr50-112-03.jpg

I'd love to get hold of a Yamaha valve combo such as the Soldano ones - need to research once I've got some cash spare!

• Members

100_2686.jpg

I picked this up years ago for $100; crazy loud. Sold it off when I got my fender twin. Everything thats been said is true; you could drop this off your roof, LOL... it weighed a friggin' ton...

Edit: Look for the ones w/ the brown/silver grill cloth; the newer ones (w/ the diff colored knobs) are sub-par compared to these earlier ones... if your having any problems being heard in your band and are broke, find one of these...

• Members

My first serious amp was a 2 x 12 version back in the mid 90's.

I was 16 at the time and it was for a garage band/my first band I wanted to play in.

Got it for $100 off craigslist and either sold it or traded it in within a few months or so.

Wish i still had it..This and my Ibanez Roadstar II and my Japanese Squier with a SD hot rails in the bridge...

That was my gear at the time...all pawn shop purchases

• Members

100_2686.jpg

I picked this up years ago for $100; crazy loud. Sold it off when I got my fender twin. Everything thats been said is true; you could drop this off your roof, LOL... it weighed a friggin' ton...

Edit: Look for the ones w/ the brown/silver grill cloth; the newer ones (w/ the diff colored knobs) are sub-par compared to these earlier ones... if your having any problems being heard in your band and are broke, find one of these...

yup, i had the same one, very loud.

Mine didn't have casters though, made it even more difficult to lug around...

• Members

I think most things that Yamaha make are great. I can't speak about your amp specifically but I've been playing through an DG-80 since they first came out at the turn of the century. It is, without a doubt, the best amp I have ever owned. It works, sounds, feels and, unfortunately, lugs like a tube amp (or should I say several different types of tube amps) without the subtle deterioration of sound caused by aging tubes.

My Yamaha amp sounds as good as the day I bought it to replace my 15 year old Fender Twin and it has required absolutely zero maintenance. I could probably buy another one with what I have saved in tubes over the last 12 years.

All I can say is that if you like the sound of the amp and don't mind the lug, you will get years of trouble free enjoyment out of it.

• Members

I think most things that Yamaha make are great. I can't speak about your amp specifically but I've been playing through an DG-80 since they first came out at the turn of the century. It is, without a doubt, the best amp I have ever owned. It works, sounds, feels and, unfortunately, lugs like a tube amp (or should I say several different types of tube amps) without the subtle deterioration of sound caused by aging tubes.

My Yamaha amp sounds as good as the day I bought it to replace my 15 year old Fender Twin and it has required absolutely zero maintenance. I could probably buy another one with what I have saved in tubes over the last 12 years.

All I can say is that if you like the sound of the amp and don't mind the lug, you will get years of trouble free enjoyment out of it.

DG80 FTW! I actually owned a pair for a while! Most amazing chorus and delay. If I ever decided that I don't mind programming (I'm more of a pedal tweaker) I will get another DG80.

• Members

I read an article where it was said that Robben Ford used these. I played one at a jam once and, yes, it was plenty loud and very clean. Huge headroom.

Yeah. A number of jazz and 'jazzy' players have used them, either as a primary amp or as a 100% reliable backup. A number of Dumble players have used them as backups as well. In no remote way saying they are the equivalent of a Dumble, but they definitely have the 'low gain but long singing sustain and burning type drive' type vibe going on that the Dumble does so well along with the earlier Boogies.

I dig it and I doubt I'll get rid of it any time soon, but it's SOOO damn heavy. As I said, I think this 1x12 weighs maybe 8 lbs less than my old Twin did and I think I'm going to put one of my EVM 12Ls in it whenever I do a little work on the amp. The frequency pot for the parametric EQ is pretty static-prone and it is INSANELY loud when you adjust that knob. For all I know, it might be post output section because even when the amp volume is on 1, when you adjust that pot, it's like FULL VOLUME and this is a very loud amp.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

stormin1155 wrote:

[snip]

Tried to think of why I needed it, and failed.

Aha, yes, this is my daily routine with different gear. :facepalm:

Though not a recent thread - this was a good read. Curious if Cratz still has his...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived