Turns out guys........

Alexilaiho

• Members

It turns out my parents said after I finish drivers ed I can try and get an apprenticeship at BILT guitars in my home town Des Moines, Iowa. I'm super stoked, and I already know one of they're endorsees brandon darner of the envy corps.

I love guitar building, anyways, I was wondering what can I expect working with a pro luthier? I'm only going to try and become a luthier because I love guitar building. Also, my uncle is the guy that built the bigfoot guitar, George marlin.

His website is Georgemarlinguitars.com(not an advertisement, just personal info) and he inspired me to become a luthier.

• Members

It's good to follow your passion, but it's also tough to make a living by making guitars. If you're just out of high school I'd really recommend doing a formal trade qualification first. That will give you more options AND make you a better luthier in ways that might not be obvious right now.

No matter what you do, good luck and give it 100%

• Members

Hi Alex!  Looks like you're quite new here, so welcome!  Also, it's nice to see another Iowan on the forum.  I share your passion with guitars and lutherie, and have built several guitars from scratch, and worked on a bunch, mostly as a hobby, but occasionally I even get paid for it.  I also live in  Des Moines, actually not very far from Bilt/Lutherie Shop.

Have you talked to the guys over at Bilt/Lutherie Shop?  They are a very small shop, and I'm a bit surprised that they take on apprentices.  That would be a great experience for you.  They are good guys, and have a great reputation.  As I understand it, the Bilt part of the business is sort of a sideline, with the repair part (Lutherie Shop) their bread and butter.  But it's been awhile since I've been over there, and the building part may have grown since then.

As others have noted, the guitar building and repair business is a hard one to get into, and even harder to make a living.  It's all about word of mouth and reputation.

• Members

Sounds cool, if that's what your goals are. I would recommend getting a college degree during your apprenticeship, since you might need something to fall back on in the future. You're young, so it's important that you don't miss opportunities like that.

Archived