The Doom Room

book_of_lies777

• Members

Nice looking Nick! Got any clips for us to groove on?

Tooled leather tolex. mmmmmmmm.

I actually dont because I had to deliver it to me customer before I could record anything. He is a local guy so I might find a day to catch up and do a quick demo

The amp was designed to have a lead channel with tons of gain with a very tight feel. It can be compressed fairly heavy and is great for a chuggy thrash tone. The rhythm channel is fairly clean with the ability to get some clipping if you max out the gain.

4 gain stages, 3 bypassed 1 unbypassed, plate driven tone stack with marshall esque values, Long tail phase inverter with 2203/2204 type component values. I increased the amount of -FB to keep it stable and added a depth control you might see on a SLO-100.

KT88s have a great huge bottom end and a nice top end.

• Replies 29.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sweet!

Thanks

I should have another amp finishing up soon. A personal build with black tooled tolex covering. It will hopefully be a doom monster, a modified orange/matamp type preamp matted to a long tail phase inverter you might find on a superbass plexi but with a depth control. I am including some built in Belton brick reverb and an analog delay pedal buffered with an effects loop so you can have some really nice echo and delay effects without having to run cables out of the amp. Should be seriously heavy with 4 gain stages for tons of amp distortion which I am currently experimenting with.

• Members

LTP is an interesting choice for a mat/or type amp. Any reason? I thought they usually have cathodynes?

It is true that the general matamp or orange from back in the day used a cathodyne phase inverter and this is one of the reasons they have a distinct sound when compared to any marshall of that time which had a long tail phase inverter. The cathodyne as designed by orange will induce interesting frequency doubling effects which create something known as swirl, a phasey type of sound on top of a heavily clipped cathodyne.

You can find more info here:

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/cathodyne.html

and here:

http://www.aikenamps.com/TI_Aiken_Q&A.html

Personally I like the LT because I prefer the presence and resonance controls that have been commonly used with them. There are some technical differences between LTPI and the Cathodyne such as the LTPI driving better loads as well. This amp is somewhat of a frankenstein so I am also experimenting with different ideas. It could be offered with either phase inverter at the whim of the customer.

• Members

Yup, got merlins books. Great reads!

I guess the cathodyne its usually considered a good option for higher gain circuits although Fryette uses them and they have pretty clean power sections. I've been trying to make sense of the Deliverance 60 schematic for a while. That guy does some odd stuff!

• Members

Yup, got merlins books. Great reads!

I guess the cathodyne its usually considered a good option for higher gain circuits although Fryette uses them and they have pretty clean power sections. I've been trying to make sense of the Deliverance 60 schematic for a while. That guy does some odd stuff!

Yea I saw some of his VHT/Fryette designs. CFs on both side of the phase inverter to allow for strong grid currents in the output tubes. I actually owned a VHT 50 CL. Was a pretty good amp. I think you could go either way, LTPI or Cathodyne.

• Members

I'll think about trying his PI arrangement if I build a suitable prototyping rig. Just something different to try. I dont think it ends up with the weird frequency doubling/clamping stuff that can happen with other over driven cathodynes although I havent gone through the maths to see why.

• Members

I'll think about trying his PI arrangement if I build a suitable prototyping rig. Just something different to try. I dont think it ends up with the weird frequency doubling/clamping stuff that can happen with other over driven cathodynes although I havent gone through the maths to see why.

accordingly to merlin sufficiently large enough grid resistors can prevent that frequency doubling. but also CFs would as well since they act as a good current source.

• Members

I had thought of maybe trying a MOSFET in that position so I dont end up with an amp full of preamps and an expensive heater transformer bill :lol:

I know some guys have tried it with the D120 circuit and it performed better. I think that arrangement can stop the grids being driven positive, although I havent researched it much, which supposedly improves the headroom and reduces bias excursion.

• Members

I had thought of maybe trying a MOSFET in that position so I dont end up with an amp full of preamps and an expensive heater transformer bill
:lol:
I know some guys have tried it with the D120 circuit and it performed better. I think that arrangement can stop the grids being driven positive, although I havent researched it much, which supposedly improves the headroom and reduces bias excursion.

a high power FET would be an option. Long as it has sufficient headroom and current drive it should work fine.

• Members

Kind of a strange day -- woke up and jumped over to Facebook to see that an old friend and the drummer from the very first band I was ever in had passed away from cancer. I hadn't seen or even really thought about the guy in over 20 years. He drummed in my first high school band in 1981 then moved away. In that band we had 3 guitar players but no bass player, so I used his brother's Hondo II and some Peavey amp and turned the bass up and treble down and played bass on a guitar for a couple of months until I bought a cheap bass rig. That's what caused me to become a bassist. In 1986 I ran into him (had moved back to the US) and we started our friendship again and hung out a bunch for a year or two and even talked about jamming again and we might have if memory serves me right. But as usual, life just happened and we drifted apart again. Kind of funny how things like that cause reflection. He really was one of the good guys to. Apparently had a cancer that just hit him hard and took him out very fast, left behind a wife and two young children. Was only 44 or 45 years old.

• Members

Kind of a strange day -- woke up and jumped over to Facebook to see that an old friend and the drummer from the very first band I was ever in had passed away from cancer. I hadn't seen or even really thought about the guy in over 20 years. He drummed in my first high school band in 1981 then moved away. In that band we had 3 guitar players but no bass player, so I used his brother's Hondo II and some Peavey amp and turned the bass up and treble down and played bass on a guitar for a couple of months until I bought a cheap bass rig. That's what caused me to become a bassist. In 1986 I ran into him (had moved back to the US) and we started our friendship again and hung out a bunch for a year or two and even talked about jamming again and we might have if memory serves me right. But as usual, life just happened and we drifted apart again. Kind of funny how things like that cause reflection. He really was one of the good guys to. Apparently had a cancer that just hit him hard and took him out very fast, left behind a wife and two young children. Was only 44 or 45 years old.

Damn Brian, that sucks man. Sorry to hear bout that.

• Members

Sending Doomy-thoughts to every one in the Doom Room on Easter from a very boring Freeport (my ship is in "dry dock")

PS : if you guys are bored-{censored}e-less, got to flicker.com and Princess Cruiseline's website and searh for the GRAND PRINCESS.

My ship, the Grand Princess is in Dry Dock right now, and 33.3% of ALL the images of the "work" being done on the ship was taken by ME

;-)

Cheers

JP

• Members

Hey Mark (the Riffer) . . .

. . . tried to send you a PM, but your in-box are over flowing, so here goes :

Hi Mark

Breaking News . . . my Canadian GF kicked me under my arse.

NOT going to Canada any more.

New mailling address for my pedal - it will be a Ft. Lauderdale address.

Is it possible to ship it there before May 2nd ?

Will send you the address tomorrow.

Cheers

JP

• Members

Reasonably new on the boards, saw this thread and thought i'd chime in.

Curseoftruth, your band is pretty epic - +1 fan here!

Thanks man!

Gotta say we saw Karma to Burn and Honky last night in some no name club in Fort Worth, TX - maybe 40 people there, but was an epic show! I'm still just freaking out how awesome it was!

Archived