What guitar magazines do you like?

Visconti

• Members

I subscribe to following guitar magazines.

1. The ToneQuest Report

2. Guitar Aficionado

3. Premier Guitar

4. Vintage Guitar

5. Guitar Player

I just let my Guitar World subscription go because I can't take them any longer with all of the metal content.

• Members

I occasionally read Premier Guitar online. Maybe once a year I'll pick up a copy of Vintage guitar in the airport or train station. Other than that, it tends to be recording or live sound mags - Tape Op, Mix, Electronic Musician, etc.

PGS is putting out some sort of newsstand app that features Rebecca Dirks, so I might check that out.

• Members

Remember in the 90s when Guitar Player just ran the same filler articles over and over? I remember seeing the same articles about KISS and Mr. Big (big in Japan!) four and five times in one year, respectively. The letters page would unapologeticly own up to the inevitable complaint letters by pointing out that most of the magazine

• Members

I usually pick up an issue of whatever in the airport to read on long flights. Otherwise, I prefer just browsing online. The guitar mags aren't all that great for gear (every review is glowing, lol) and usually I'm not interested in whatever interviews are there. Guitar mags were more relevant before the internet.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I usually pick up an issue of whatever in the airport to read on long flights. Otherwise, I prefer just browsing online. The guitar mags aren't all that great for gear (every review is glowing, lol) and usually I'm not interested in whatever interviews are there. Guitar mags were more relevant before the internet.

Ah, interesting coincidence. I was just about to post something almost exactly the same!  The only time I ever read a guitar mag is when I'm travelling.  I'll just pick up whichever mag looks like it has the most interesting content.

I see one of the mags our OP likes is "Vintage Guitar".  I didn't know there was such a thing. Now I know it exists I wonder if we could predict which people here might be readers and which might not. Hmm,  interesting.

• Members

kayd\_mon wrote:

I usually pick up an issue of whatever in the airport to read on long flights. Otherwise, I prefer just browsing online.
The guitar mags aren't all that great for gear (every review is glowing, lol)
and usually I'm not interested in whatever interviews are there. Guitar mags were more relevant before the internet.

They're only glowing if the manufacturer of the product they're reviewing advertises in their magazine.

For instance, in a review of the Behringer X-Vamp, they said it sounded good, but that it was very user-unfriendly. They didn't lob the same complaint @ the other products they tested (all of which advertised in their mag).

xv-ampreview2-Copy.jpg~original.jpeg

Compare it to the Korg Toneworks AX5G which they gave one of their "glowing" reviews. No suggestion of user-infriendliness there

KorgAX5GReview-Copy.jpg~original.jpeg

• Members

I used to love Guitar For the Practicing Musician, then Grunge came in, good guitar playing went out of style, musicianship went out of style and the guitar was only a prop to look cool instead of an instrument.

Sales of guitar magazines went far down in the 1990's. I think it was Stephen Carpenter of the Deftones, who said learning to play the guitar, learning scales is really not necessary any more. Even Guitar World went down hill too ....

Guitar One and Vintage Guitar are okay.

Archived