Help: Bentley Series 10 Guitars

Rgkchile

• Members

I had a series 10 strat copy I bought used at local mom and pop for 25 bucks with hard shell case back in the day.

It was your typical plywood guitar probably from the Indonesian Samick plant just like a million others.

Certainly nothing special about them.

Wasn't St Louis Music also the distributor for the Hondo brand back in the 80's?

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Members
On 10/29/2009 at 6:20 PM, JakesBently said:

Hi my names Jake and im a Series 10 and Bently guitars collector.

Series 10 guitars are not made anymore and neither Jackson or Fender bought the name.

Bently guitars originated back in 1985 when the company SLM introduced them. SLM stands for Saint Louis Music.

They made the guitar brand because people wanted somthing that cost less then Alvarez guitars.(Alvarez is not an offbrand of Ibanez regaurdless of what some people say).

Bently was a medium grade guitar and started off as acoustics.

Then they started making electrics.

Then they changed the names of the electrics to Series 10 as a way to separate the acoustics from the electrics.

Series 10 and Bently guitars were made from 1985 to 1998.

SLM stoped making the guitar line when they introduced the Austin guitar line.

On the used market you can find them from $50 to $100 maybe a little more depending on the guitar and if you find a collector.

If you want to send me the serial number and a picture of the guitar i can try to find out how much it sold for and how much it is worth now if you like.

I hope this information helped you out some.

I just made this account on here because i saw your question on google lol

I have been collecting the guitars for 3 years and own a few of the les paul copys.

i'll ttyl

-Jake-

Are you still out there? I have a cherry red Les Paul copy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbentley.TRS0&_nkw=bentley&_sacat=33034

Overpriced junkers.

Take a look at the tuners on the Tele from the link and that should tell you what you need to know. A $225 guitar with $4.00 tuners on it? The used LP pictured is a bolt neck and has no strings on it because in all likelihood it is impossible to play. If you like to collect junkers, fine, but these were the bottom of the food chain and lacked the quality of the Japanese made guitars. They were made so cheaply that even with considerable markup, they could still be sold cheaply. You can pretty much lump Bentley, Barclay, Arbor, Lotus, Hondo, Austin, Memphis and Encore all together in the same category. These brands found their way into mom and pop music stores that didn't have the sales volume to qualify for major US brands or the cash for inventory and were also sold through general merchandise and gift catalogs. A lot of people think these guitars are some kind of hidden gems but in reality the lowest priced Squier Bullets will play circles around them and sound good while doing it. 

Nostalgia is a strong thing and I used to collect Japanese hollowbody electrics from the 60's and 70's and enjoyed the quirkiness of their styling. As a kid, I would pour over the catalogs and always one. A few years back, I sought out and bought absolutely mint examples and found them actually decent playrs after shimming the necks and trading out the roller bridges for tune-o-matics. The single coil pickups sounded really raw but would feed back/howl even at moderate volumes and gain. The tuners were horrible (gritty and lots of backlash) and I didn't want to make irreversible changes (drilling the headstock) to them. They couldn't hold a candle to the guitars coming out of China these days as far as playability and sound and I eventually sold them. They sat in their cases and got played only occasionally as all the newer guitars I had just played and sounded better and had better tuning stability.

Edited by 6down1togo

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have a Series 10 Les Paul that I was given to repair. It had a broken head stock, which seems to be a common affliction. The neck plate reads Professional serial number 893259. I’ve repaired it and restrung it   He no longer wants it. I’m a bass player and it’s right handed, so I’ve got no use for it. I’m going to donate it to the music department at my high school. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I know this is a really old post but I just picked up one today. It says series 10 professional on the neck plate, has a switch to turn each pick up on and off, a very nice neck, great tuning machines, shark teeth and lays with that off-white colored neck binding. So do all the guys that were saying all series 10 guitars are crap sticks, you are dead wrong. I love when people make uninformed statements like that! My first guitar was a Bentley series 10 explorer model and I got it when I was 13 so that would have been 1989. It wasn't a great guitar by any means but it was my explorer damn it! LOL I loved that thing until the nut broke at the E string. I kind of gave up on guitar for a few months after that until my dad got me a really nice PRS copy from a pawn shop for $150. I don't remember what brand it was but it was a good play in guitar, had a really great sunburst finish on it and I would plug that thing into my little 15 watt Peavey rage and try to keep up with my friend who played drums. 

• 3 months later...
  • Members

My first guitar was a Series 10 professional Danelectro style copy that I got in 93’ and still have.  The neck is very fast and straight I have the action set medium low.  The pickups were absolute garbage so I changed them out several years ago with some NOS lipstick pups but the guitar itself plays wonderfully.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
19 hours ago, brcknape said:

I'm liking for parts for this guitar: knobs and tuning pegs?

Both are easy to find, in fact, odds are any replacements you buy in the USA are going to be better quality than the OEM parts.

Try looking at https://www.amplifiedparts.com/,  StewMac, Guitar Fetish...Reverb.com...Musician's Friend, etc. or even your local mom&pop music store.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have a Series 10 black electric bass guitar, trying to find the value. My dad bought it for me used for $100 in 1997 and I learned how to play on it.

It came with plastic silver machine heads all on one side of the headstock. I have not been able to find any others online that have that.

Thank you for any help!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jacob O said:

I have a Series 10 black electric bass guitar, trying to find the value. My dad bought it for me used for $100 in 1997 and I learned how to play on it.

It came with plastic silver machine heads all on one side of the headstock. I have not been able to find any others online that have that.

Thank you for any help!

value? Regardless of condition, not much. You will be lucky to recoup the $100.

• Thanks 1

• Members
11 hours ago, Jacob O said:

Thank you for any help!

Series 10 are, for the most part, bottom feeder starter guitars. Sure, some may play nice, have a nice look, or be something weird, which is always cool, but they are.... not good. And the price reflects that.  (I have an Encore Ric 12 string hollow copy that I overpaid for, but it's so cool, that I don't mind.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators
On 10/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, Adam T said:

Not I but I do have an electric blue ... serial numbers 882-373 wondering what it might be worth.

not much...I see these languishing on Reverb.com for a year or longer when priced above $150.