Drummer (replacement of heads and what you use)

Mikeo

• Members

What kind of sound are you going for?

The drum dial is awesome for people who arent great at tuning (myself) I'd definately recommend it. Worth every penny.

You will probably want a double ply, or single ply coated to give you a warmer tone / easier tuning.

For double ply I'd recommend Remo Pinstripes. Just my opinion though.

Edit: It's not really a piccolo snare, but theres a Pork Pie snare on musicians friend with 13x5 dimensions. It has sick reviews and only costs 150 bucks, u might want to check it out. I'm going to :D

• Members

I have a Premier xpk and love the Aquarian Performance 2s on the toms. Easy to tune, warm with just enough attack. (my drums are a birch/eucalyptus ply) Using the Aquarian Super Kick 2 on the bass, also love the results. I don't really like evans heads for the most part. Not really enough info on your snare for me to give input. (what's it made of, etc.)

Patrick

• Members

Originally posted by DownByLaw

I have a Premier xpk and love the Aquarian Performance 2s on the toms. Easy to tune, warm with just enough attack. (my drums are a birch/eucalyptus ply) Using the Aquarian Super Kick 2 on the bass, also love the results. I don't really like evans heads for the most part. Not really enough info on your snare for me to give input. (what's it made of, etc.)

Patrick

I have just recently heard of the Aquarian heads, they were in the MF catalog.

My snare is made out of maple and is 5" deep (6" if you count the top rim to bottom rim) m14" wide.

I called the Guitar Center, the drum sales guy told me he was liking the Evans G2's.

The REMO sales guy in customer service said that my Premier drums might be meteric ( I don't see it), but my measurements were made with a Stanley Powerlock carpenters slide.

Looks like a standard set, I purchased em in the USA.

As far as a model #, I see nothing, nor can I tell ya where they would be located.

I've got a lot to learn, in the way of drums.

I looking to replace the factory heads, I feel that they are probably second rate at best, I 'm looking for nice warm classic rock tones. I will mic them up later using a Beyer Dynamic M88 for the kick, a sm57 on the snare and two ribbon mics for the over heads. I sometimes place a large condensor mic in the room for a naural reverb and add to taste.

• Members

Originally posted by snaresmacker

Those cymbals sound sweet. Anyway... I would strongly suggest NOT waisting money on a drum dial. It measures the
tension
, but not the
pitch
. (There can be differences.)

Instead, read the drum tuning bible. (
). very helpful.

Good luck!

jesse

Thanks, any help I can get is better than what I already know. Ill check out you link in a bit.

Thanks again

• Members

Thanks for your help drummers.

I went to the GC on Sunday, and since I only record with these drums, here's what I choose.

Evans

Hazy 300 for the bottom of the snare, and HD Dry snare for the top, the snare is warm and dry with a nice pop.

The kick I got a EMAD which is a adjust able damping head, very nice deep warm and not much overtones

On the Toms, I got hydrolic clears, they are warm with not much over tones and less ring than before.

I think this will be a better recording set up, than the ones that I had on the set.

I spent the last 4 hours putting them on, cleaning up the dust of the set and tuning them. I think they will need to be tuned again tomorrow.

Thanks again.

• Members

It might be a little late to throw in my 2 cents worth now, but I would never recommend hydraulics for a recording set-up. IMO a single ply coated head is pretty ideal for recording. That's just my opinion though. You might love the way the drums sound with the hyds. Either way, good luck.

• Members

The continuing saga on drum heads.

Well Sunday I bought the drums heads at the GC, but what happen is the guy I talked to on the phone originally was not the guy that sold me the the heads.

Originally the sales guy recommended Evans G2's, what they sold me was the hydrolics, and they do sound kinda dead.

I was goning to drive back over and purchase the G2 and ca;; it a day, but I called first.

The the original sales guy said that the guy that sold me the hydrolics screwed up and took his sale at that (these guys work on 100% comision), he alos said that I should talk to the Assistant manager who was in today.

Well any way after all is said and done, I don't have to make the 1 hour trip over there, and he is sending me the 3 sizes of toms that I will need USP, at a cost of nothing to me.

It's a dg eat dog world, in sales and they love my business. I hope I like the G2's better after all this.

As it stands right now the 4 hours I spent on replacing the heads and tuning them up is pissed away. I do love the tones on the snare and kick.

I am reading much about tuning, but as much fun as the drums are to play I'll always be a guitar player.

I have much respect for the work that goes into tweeking drums. i could have restrung 50 guitars in the time it took me to put on the new heads.

I will continue to learn about tuning.

• Members

Originally posted by nklarow

I use evans G2's on all but my snare, which has a Remo Ebony Black 9" head on it... Tried the G2's on it, had a nasty ring so I bought the Ebony's for 13 bucks. they work!

I hope I like the G2's on my toms

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I realize this post is kinda dead but I just wanted to tell you I think you made a great choice with g2's. Hydraulics are great at what they are trying to do, give you a sound with short sustain. But, for a more all purpose and nice recording head, the g2's were a great choice. Do you like them? I would also say the new ec2's are really great, i am not much of a drummer but i stay on top of this stuff and have many drummer friends that i help tune their drums. remo's aren't bad but under no circumstance would i ever recommend aquarian heads, ughhh i think they are horrible!

steve

• Members

well, good then...you can help me with my experimenting.....i currently use the Evans Hydros...this is only for playing live gigs...I love the sound I get from them..nice projection, sweet tone, i love their tunability....they are nice and loud on stage also...but i know that soon, I will be changing them, just to try new sounds...playing 12-13-16 inch toms, I'm always playing stuff like Bad Co., Nugent, Grand Funk, Golden Earrring, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, etc....which heads are best for acheiving the sound of the 70's genre of rock?...THANX,!!!

• Members

I would say you are a candidate for Evans EC2's. They are really nice, and you can tune them high without them "Choking" or tune them low without losing all the bottom end. If you have a decent drum shop near you, you should be able to try the ec2's out as they are very popular right now and Evans expects them to become their #1 selling tom head of all time. If they have g2's, that is something else to consider. In terms of bass heads, I'd look at an evans eq3, or the emad/emad2 for a nice punchy sound. Good luck!

steve

Archived