I'm not quite a drummer, but...

u6crash

• Members

I've got some drums which I've played a little. Mostly I've just picked up some things by trying it out, but I need a little direction.

My set is a Pearl Export Select and I just about sold the thing, but I know if I do I'll just want to get a set in the future. However, I might change it up a bit. Current setup is:

Toms: 10 x 8, 12 x 9, 14 x 12. Snare 13 x 3 and Bass 22 x 18. Low end Zildjians for Crash, hi-hat, and ride.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to try out a minimalist setup. Yes, no? I'm imagining it with hi-hats, bass, snare, 14 x 12 tom, and 16 x 16 floor tom. I could even see getting rid of the rack tom altogether.

Right now my drumming skills are really subpar (I'm more or a guitarist), but I really like the syncopated style of Steven Drozd of the Flaming Lips, just to throw a name out there.

What do you think? Is it a good idea to simplify? I've also been recommend a book called "Stick Control" to get a little better. Any other book or video suggestions?

• Members

Master Studies By Joe Morello is another fine book to have.

As far as simplifying your setup goes, it will not make you a better player; I mean after all we are just talking about eliminating one drum. Really, no amount of simplification will make up for having practiced thousands and thousands of repetitions. Drummers who play pared down kits don't play them to make their drumming better; they play them for stylistic reasons and for ease of transport.

Keep practicing, and good luck.

• Members

Well, the transport and taking up space is part of it. The other part is the little bit of extra cash I could get for a tom here and there.

While I'm asking newbie questions here, what is a good way to clean cymbals? I wipe them down with a dry cloth to get the dust off, but they still look pretty dingy.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

[...]

While I'm asking newbie questions here, what is a good way to clean cymbals? I wipe them down with a dry cloth to get the dust off, but they still look pretty dingy.

All of the cymbal makers sell cymbal cleaner, and it works pretty well. Honestly, I usually end up using just a very mild general purpose cleaner diluted with water and it works for me.

DO NOT USE BRASSO.

Have fun.

• Members

stick control is really good for overall improvement. You should also check out the DVD Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe it comes with a poster of all the grooves it covers notated. In addition another great DVD is Gregg Bissonette's Drumming in Musical Styles. Good Luck

• Members

Originally posted by richfan

stick control is really good for overall improvement. You should also check out the DVD Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe it comes with a poster of all the grooves it covers notated. In addition another great DVD is Gregg Bissonette's Drumming in Musical Styles. Good Luck

Are both of those for beginners? I can do a very simple beat in 4, but beyond that I have a lot to learn.

• Members

In my opinion, keep all the drums.

As you get better, you may want to do more fills and patterns plus it seems hard to sell parts of a set.

Like you said if you sell the whole kit, you'll just want another. It sounds like you might want the toms back after you sell them. Plus by the time you pay for listing them in the paper, listing and shipping them on e-bay etc vs. the amount you'll get out them, it won't be that much. I could be wrong and you can do what you want.

Yes, how you arrange your drums won't make you play better, but just sticking with the Bass/snare/ hi-hat and practice, practice, practice until you get better is a good way to go. If you can keep a good 4/4 beat, that's a good start. There a some drummers I know that have a hard time with that.

IMO you might keep the 12x9 tom with the 14x12 and sell the 10" tom. Do you also have a 16"x16" floor tom or wanting to get one? If you just play floor toms and sell your rack toms, you'll be limited in the music you play. You will have no higher tone tom. If you're wanting to play drums more, keep the toms. If you're just wanting a little drums to back up your guitar playing, It might be okay to sell.

I would try to keep the set intact if I could so it will be there in the future if you need to play them or will bring you more money if you sell the set in the future. Hope this helps..

• Members

I don't have the floor tom yet; it's something I'd have to get. I got talked into getting a fusion set because someone told me that the smaller drum shells would make it easier for a beginner to get to all the pieces quicker. Then one night I played at a friends house who has a real floor tom (not a 14x12 that clamps to the ride) and I really liked it. Maybe I won't sell any of them, but I think I might hide them in storage so that I don't get too distracted while trying to do the basics.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

Are both of those for beginners? I can do a very simple beat in 4, but beyond that I have a lot to learn.

Tommy Igoe breaks all the beats down in a clear cut description of how to get started in the beggining of the DVD. As the grooves get harder he just jumps into them under the assumption the viewer has established some independence. Another suggestion is "Getting started on Drums featuring Tommy Igoe". This DVD is just what it says.

Gregg Bissonettes DVD covers the concept of musical drumming. This DVD coves alot of musical styles, with the same underlying principal that listeners are not there to watch the drummer and see how many tricks he can do, or how advanced his technical skills are.

• Members

well, that sounds like a plan. If you like the sound of a deeper floor tom, then you can get one and use the biggest of the rack toms (12x9) and will have a good basic kit. Later the 14x12 may make a decent mid tom.

Without knowing or seeing any of the DVD's and by the descripitions of Richfan. I think "Getting started on drums" may be a good start. from my limited experience, It seems drum dvds are close to guitar Dvds.

With a beginning drum DVD, you could see as well as hear the basics and may be worth it. Ten minutes of a dvd with seeing it and hearing it may be better than a volume of one of us on here. You may be able to get one these DVDs and at least have a basis on how to play and what to practice for or towards.

I guess is think about guitar and what you had to learn. Is close to same thing on drums. Just keep practicing and tinkering and absorbing as much info as you can. Hope this helps....

Archived