OT: If it can't be Bonham, who should it be?

FitchFY

• Members

Vinnie C supposedly swears by Bonzo. There's also a lotta schmooze in the industry. There's a video of his outing with Jeff Beck, it's awful. Zeppelin might be another deal entirely but still I gotta say I'm not inspired by the suggestions thus far (you do know I'm a heavyweight producer right?) :hysteria and farts:
I think the guys that could do this would be dues-ers. Still hungry and still steeped in that ole hard rockin' feel. There must be a ton of 'em the right age too.
On that note, Zeppelin is no more. It's going to have to be something different.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
On that note, Zeppelin is no more. It's going to have to be something different.

Well, yeah, but it can't hurt to dream! :D

Vinnie C. is definitely a strong contender on that one, and Isits... Greg Bisonnette is a GREAT call! :thu:

• Members

Here's a really out there suggestion. How about somebody from that era with lots of syncopation, strong rythm and time, and even add some vocals. He's got lot's of power and knows the medium...Don Brewer. he always had that big triplet thing happening as well. We have to remember (and it just hit me) that we don't want somebody who's going to try and mimic Bonzo, but rather somebody who can cop him and add a tinge of newsness...not a boat load of playing over the top. Don was a very good compliment to a 3 piece and 4 piece epowerhouse, and that's what Zeppelin was originally in the first place... And his look fits in because he's their age...let's face it, Plant, Jimmy and JPJ are no spring chickens now and their looks are certainly sort of rough. We need to think of the package as a whole rather than making the next Bonzo replica.

Ooorrrrrrrr, I got another one who is a {censored} kicking powerhouse in his own right. No need to mention his impressive list of credentials...cause he's played with the best...how about Simon Phillips...need I say more? :thu:

• Members

Dream we must. I have Coverdale Page on. One of those things that just sat in the rack till you posed the question. The drummers name is Denny Carmassi. He'll do.
One of the problems I had seeing Zeppelin with these other guys is that they're too technically refined. Strange animal Zeppelin. Even Jason comes across as overly technical, anticlimactically busy. Dammit I care! :D

• Members

You know, afetr really thinking about it...I think Phillips is my favorite choice...over Vinnie, Brewer, and the rest. he can play ANYTHING! I caught him once with Pete Townsend doing "face to face" and man was he incredidble!!! Tasty tasty tasty! He's my final pick hands down!!:thu:

• Members

I can't believe no one has suggested the obvious choice (although I would hope he would never agree to it)

JON THEODORE ex Mars Volta

One listen to the second track on Francis the Mute should convince everyone.(his personal tribute to bonham's style) He's a huge bonham fan (from what I've read) and his skill level is beyond belief (and in my opinion well beyond bonhams). He would have trouble with NOTHING from the zeplin catalogue.

Of course I would hate to see him prostitute himself with a couple of has beens like page and plant.

• Members
I can't believe no one has suggested the obvious choice (although I would hope he would never agree to it)

JON THEODORE ex Mars Volta

One listen to the second track on Francis the Mute should convince everyone.(his personal tribute to bonham's style) He's a huge bonham fan (from what I've read) and his skill level is beyond belief (and in my opinion well beyond bonhams). He would have trouble with NOTHING from the zeplin catalogue.

Of course I would hate to see him prostitute himself with a couple of has beens like page and plant.

:D:D -Oh the yout today!

• Members

OK here's my off the wall suggestion... A guy nobody ever talks about but is a definite hard hitting groover.... Jerry Shirley, he was the drummer for Humble Pie and the 80's band Fastway. He's not a overly technical drummer but has great feel and power.

• Members

As for Wilk, His heavy groove helped wean me off prog in the mid 90s

Hmmmmm, it seems weird that certain music would turn you off to others. I mean, i have started to listen to a lot of buddy rich but it hasnt made me like rush any less. That seems like a weird concept to me, maybe its because i like so much music out there. Oh well, to each his own. Keep on drumming man. And maybe i should check out this wilks fellow, if he can turn someone off of prog, then he has to be amazing.

• Members

With Coverdale - Page, Carmassi, but for the too much giant 80s backbeat, is there. The openness of his playing seems right for the style. The groove's a little precise for Zeppelin but he could easily move over in Bonzo's direction.

On that thought, if you gave him the right kit and good musical direction, my number one choice for this hypothetical gig would be none other than,

Steve Gadd.

• Members

Here's some quick picks: Eric Kretz from Stone Temple Pilots...you can hear him layin it down pretty thick a la bonham style on Core, Ian Paice, Jerry Gaskill from King's X, though I think he's been mentioned...

and last but not least, how could ANYONE pass him by? After seeing them live, I would without a doubt put him in Bonham's seat at any given moment...

Jean Paul Gaster of Clutch! Hardest rockin dude I've heard in a long time..

Alot of the dudes you guys mentioned are technical wizards, but even if they do sit down and play a more reserved style for zeppelin, it'll sound too manufactured, some of these guys don't have the heart and soul to play the beefed up style of zeppelin, with all the nuances and everything that goes with it...to me, the system has failed was an awesome album, but the drums sound WAY too overdone (as far as playing goes), and I'll take Nick Menza over that any day.

What about Mike Portnoy doing Beatles covers? Fine, he knows his songs, but you just can't hit the dynamics as well as Ringo did for them. Guys these days are too clean cut in their playing, which is by no means a bad thing, but it's not what Zeppelin was about, the guys breathed off each other in their playing.

• Members
Here's some quick picks: Eric Kretz from Stone Temple Pilots...you can hear him layin it down pretty thick a la bonham style on Core, Ian Paice, Jerry Gaskill from King's X, though I think he's been mentioned...

and last but not least, how could ANYONE pass him by? After seeing them live, I would without a doubt put him in Bonham's seat at any given moment...

Jean Paul Gaster of Clutch! Hardest rockin dude I've heard in a long time..

Alot of the dudes you guys mentioned are technical wizards, but even if they do sit down and play a more reserved style for zeppelin, it'll sound too manufactured, some of these guys don't have the heart and soul to play the beefed up style of zeppelin, with all the nuances and everything that goes with it...to me, the system has failed was an awesome album, but the drums sound WAY too overdone (as far as playing goes), and I'll take Nick Menza over that any day.

What about Mike Portnoy doing Beatles covers? Fine, he knows his songs, but you just can't hit the dynamics as well as Ringo did for them. Guys these days are too clean cut in their playing, which is by no means a bad thing, but it's not what Zeppelin was about, the guys breathed off each other in their playing.

That's why I'm still sticking with Phillips. He's on the road now with Toto, but he can slam it down when he needs to. And his kick techniques are awsome...bursts as well as complex patterns. I can see JPJ and Page climbing aboard a riser and having all three in a musical feeding frenzy!:thu:

• Members

You know when Simon Phillips went out with The Who, I thought that was the perfect choice... until I heard 'em. These prog meisters seem to have too much craft going on. Makes them pedantic in a way. Hotter material - DT, Rush and the like will cloud that issue but in a Zeppelin like setting - notoriously sloppy live, HELLO. :wave:

• Members

For this fantasy, I'm going with Billy Cobham. Before you immediately dismiss him out of hand as not being a rocker, consider that he did some gigs with Grateful Dead back in the day. He's tight, funky, and can lay it down. If you're not gonna go with a straight up slammer like Kenny Aranoff or Abraham Laboriel Jr. or Matt Cameron, then Billy's your man. Imagine him on "Moby Dick" or some of the "Presence" stuff.

• Members

I'm gonna go with Grohl or Zakk Starkey. Grohl probably already knows every Bonham lick and with his heavy hitting, I bet you could close your eyes and you'd think it was Bonzo back there. Of everyone mentioned, I think he would be the most loyal to the original playing of John Bonham without trying to inject much of his own style into the mix. Here's a cool piece Grohl wrote about Zep for Rolling Stone:

http://www.fooarchive.com/gpb/rollingstoneledzep.htm

I saw Starkey with The Who a couple times and found him to be pretty amazing as well.

• Members

For this fantasy, I'm going with Billy Cobham. Before you immediately dismiss him out of hand as not being a rocker, consider that he did some gigs with Grateful Dead back in the day. He's tight, funky, and can lay it down. If you're not gonna go with a straight up slammer like Kenny Aranoff or Abraham Laboriel Jr. or Matt Cameron, then Billy's your man. Imagine him on "Moby Dick" or some of the "Presence" stuff.

great choice!

• Members

Jason's gonna be the choice...it's not gonna be about chops, or grooves or anything...it's gonna be about sentiment. Having Jason come in, whether we like it or night, is gonna be a big draw for the people who want to see a Bonham...thinking back to the old days, right wrong or indifferent. It sells and has a great marketing hook written all over it!

• Members

Didn't he play with them live before? Maybe in the late 80's early 90's. I seemed to recall a concert for a anniversary for thier record label. I remember Jason playing with Zep and Foreignor getting back together for the gig as well.

Archived