OT: If it can't be Bonham, who should it be?

FitchFY

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another good choice would be Kenny Aronoff.

WOW! Somebody can actually spell his name! A very good choice for MOST sub drumming jobs, he plays everything with everybody, like a pro covers band drummer (on steriods of course ;>) NOT anywhere my choice, though.

Jason Bohnam is the first choice. I even read since it seems everybody expects it, he plays a Zep set with his current band. heard good reviews of that.

Zack Starkey would be my second choice. When he played with the Who he was totally impressed me. Growing up in that scene has a lot going for it to get the right feel.

I concur Carmine Appice could do it in a heartbeat, a valid choice.

Boomerweps

• Members

Bissonette and Vinnie are good choices and for as much as heart covered zepplin so is Mike Derosier.

I would like to think that Steve Smith would be the man for the job. Chops, feel, and a big sound when he wants. I know Journey and Vital Information are not "The Hammer of the Gods" , but I bet Smith would be more than adequate.

• Members

Zwondering when somebody would mention D.C. Some one always has Tool on the juke box at one of the bars I frequent. Catchy stuff, creepy band. :D
One of the drummers that gigs there told me Tool owns Jimmy Page's castle.
The legacy continues. :eek:
I think Danny Carey is a little hot for Page and Jones though.
Tool Burns Zeppelin might be a good album.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Well, my friends, looks like the answer to this question, at least for November 26th, 2007, will be
JASON BONHAM.

It's official - Led Zeppelin will reunite for one show.
More news will certainly be out, but here's the first one I saw.

Who didn't know that! Tell me there wont be some PR on this reunion! It's a marketing gold mine to say the least! ;)

• Members

Who said Phill Rudd? Was that a bloody joke?

Man, I'd much rather have Peter Criss on the skins. Even Steve Riley.

How about Frankie Banali? I'm surprised his name hasn't come up.

Grohl? Can't see it. I always thought he was overrated.

Of course, I would love to give it a shot! Which fan of Bonham's wouldn't? Bonham was my big project of sorts. I spent years dissecting solos, fills, improv spots, you name it. It's second nature by now.

His live playing was just amazing. If you can play every Zep song off the albums note for note, you still have a long way to go you know?

Bonham was just unstoppable. He makes a bunch of these other guys look like complete jokes. Moon couldn't touch him on even his best night. He's irreplaceable. I like to think he was the most important member of that group. If they didn't have Bonzo, I don't see them being nearly as famous or rich.

As for me, I know I'd kick Rudd's ass!

I do like Jason Bonham on the throne though. He's not the drummer John was, but I heard they all "click" onstage. His last name is the sole reason why he's playing though.

But Phil Rudd? No way in hell.

• Members
I do like Jason Bonham on the throne though. He's not the drummer John was, but I heard they all "click" onstage. His last name is the sole reason why he's playing though.

Can you imagine being in Led Zeppelin and trying to explain to your dead drummer's son why he WASN'T chosen to take his dad's spot on the drum throne? Quite understandable! :)

And let's face it - Jason isn't exactly a slouch behind the kit. He's definitely got some power groove in him.

• Members

Who said Phill Rudd? Was that a bloody joke?

Man, I'd much rather have Peter Criss on the skins. Even Steve Riley.

How about Frankie Banali? I'm surprised his name hasn't come up.

Grohl? Can't see it. I always thought he was overrated.

Of course, I would love to give it a shot! Which fan of Bonham's wouldn't? Bonham was my big project of sorts. I spent years dissecting solos, fills, improv spots, you name it. It's second nature by now.

His live playing was just amazing. If you can play every Zep song off the albums note for note, you still have a long way to go you know?

Bonham was just unstoppable. He makes a bunch of these other guys look like complete jokes. Moon couldn't touch him on even his best night. He's irreplaceable. I like to think he was the most important member of that group. If they didn't have Bonzo, I don't see them being nearly as famous or rich.

As for me, I know I'd kick Rudd's ass!

But Phil Rudd? No way in hell.

I disagree 100% Rudd is a great drummer who lays it down 4 on the floor just like Bonzo. Listen to Back in Black for that big meaty sound. I have no doubt hed get the job done.

Dont hate him cause hes simple. Bonham is simple, in his own way, compared to the Portnoys Pearts and Donatis of this world. Rudd is classically of the Bonham school.

Peter Criss?? Dude, come on, thats not even in the ball park. Interesting though.

• Members

Jason has played here in Champaign Il a couple of times & kicked ass! He is his fathers son at the drums! Michale Lee is a great drummer but Jason has what it takes to do the gig.
Peter Chriss had his best moment in Kiss when he sang "BETH" He just had no chops & bad time. That is why that early Kiss stuff had little feeling to it
I think Peter would have sounded better with a four piece kin Like John Bonham played. Three cymbals & high hats & he would have been in his element
Phill Rudd is the king of the four on the floor steady drummer but Zep.
did verry little material that stayed if 4?4 time much. Listen to the way Bonzo & John Paul Jones switched things around to mess with the other two guys.
It kills me how kids think it is easy to play AC-DC but really listen to whats really going on in the bass & drums & how Malcom really becomes part of the rythm section.
Listen to Back in Black on a good system & learn how a record should sound! That is the song engineers use to test their monitors because it was so well recorded . You can heare every thing!
Back to the Zep tour Jason all the way!
Dave Huffman :idea:

• Members

I didn't mean to knock Jason's skills. He's a great drummer- there are just better choices in my opinion. He's not John, that's for sure. Jason has his own style. More metal to my ears. John was more off the cuff explosive while Jason, from my limitted experience, likes to sit on a groove and unleash all hell when the time comes. That's what I gained when I saw foreigner anyway. He has some of Bonham's feel though.

Rudd of the Bonham school? Nah, he's from the lazy school. Criss would easily kick his ass. Criss isn't some grand drummer but he's exceptional for the more pop rock stuff. His greatest moment was Black Diamond. You know this people! I actually had to practice to learn his stuff. Rudd was my intro to drumming. Quite simple.

So what if Back in Black was recorded in an exceptional manner? All it is is finished product. That's what a record is. That has more to do with the producer and engineer.

Malcolm Young's a decent rhythm player. Great, dry tone too. AC/DC is simple rock music though. If you can't play it, you probably suck.

Listen to I can't Quit You Babe off Coda. Rudd would be screwed if he had to do that. Same with Since I've Been Loving You. Compared to Bonham, Rudd is a one celled piece of garbage.

Aerosmith's drummer is a much better example of how to play pop rock.

• Members
Rudd of the Bonham school? Nah, he's from the lazy school. .

Ya know, I like you so far, man. You've made some good posts and contributions.

But THIS... those are the words of someone who lacks experience as a musical drummer.

Phil Rudd is THE perfect drummer for AC/DC. Is he a techincal mastermind? Doesn't seem to be. But does he play so perfectly behind the beat with a 1/3 kick and 2/4 snare that it sounds unreasonably huge? You bet he does. :cool:

• Members

Sterling Campbell - David Bowie's touring drummer for at least the Heathen and Reality tours. He's got such amazing touch - he can play ahead of the beat like an American and he can lay back like a Brit. His live drumming is very powerful and calculated, not overly complex and very solid. He reminds me of Bonham on a few occasions. Seeing as he's Bowie's drummer, he has to be much more diverse than just "any" drummer. Bowie's career has changed so much!

Archived