Ideal bass tone?

TheBoatCanDream

• Members

Ha! Ask 10 drummers that question and you'll likely get 15 different answers.

To me, there is no one-size-fits-all sound. If you're playing unmiked, you want a good deal of boom from your bass drum--wide open, no port, and no muffling apart from what the heads may give.

But if you're miked, you probably want something closer to the muffled "thud" you hear on recordings. You need a port and probably some added muffling unless you're using extensively muffled heads.

The sound folks are after will vary according to the type of music played, too. Jazzers generally want a higher pitch, metalers want some "click," etc.

• Members

The ideal kick drum sound is my kick drum sound. Every one else's is wrong. I can't believe i'm the only one to get it right. It's really quite simple, you just have to copy my sound, yet, amazingly, everyone seems to think that it is subjective and a matter of opinion. Ignorant fools, they should just realise that there is only ONE ideal kick drum sound for every single application. It's all a big marketing ploy by the drum companies - you know, different woods, heads, muffling etc, leading us to believe that we need options for different sounds, when really, we should all just have the exact same ideal kick drum sound.

• Members

The best I've heard so far is Dave Gaibaldi's live 1998 Stockton concert with Tower of Power. Even his other recordings don't compare. A good kick hits you right in the lower part of your throat or upper part of you chest. It moves a ton of air without being overpowering. It has definition but not too "ticky". It has low end you feel rather than hear and it blends so well with the bass guitar that you can't tell where one leaves off and the other starts...a perfect blend...:thu:

• Members

I think my wife knows when I've been listening to that show cause the stereo in the car is at atom bomb level. I just love hearing that punch even in my little car speakers (which cook pretty good by the way). All I wanna hear is that thump pounding all the way down the highway, but it's not that rumble you hear like from the kid's cars today. It's just that "poom poom" with punching with Rocco's bass that just drives me to the edge. VERY COOL!!!:thu:

• Members

I like a lot of low end, a bit of resonant head "boom" for warmth and depth, and a sharp beater attack that doesn't sound like a basketball and doesn't overtake the entire sound. Hard to describe, can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Archived