Crash Ride cymbals...

Marko

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you got it. great place for it as well. The option of riding on two voices is very handy for me. really decide for yourself where these sounds make sense to you and the ones you find more important keep em closer. I have an old 70s zildjian & cie vintage hi hat top that I actually use as a crash because it's really thin and sounds like a perfect 14" crash to me, unlike any hihat top I've ever heard. My "left side ride" is actually listed as a 19" A series medium thin crash but I use it as a sizzle ride more than a crash. I find it important to be able to crash on my main ride for a darker sound as well. One cymbal can make so many different sounds, the crash ride idea is just to appeal to a more general all-around playing cymbal.

• Members

They still have those? These days the term crash ride suggests a crash sound you can bash away on a la Tre Cool or Alex VH and the like. IOW ANY crash or ride cymbal. Anything labeled crash ride probably would produce a nice shimmery wash but don't expect any K Custom clang along with it.

• Members

'Crash' and 'Ride' are really just marketing labels.

Most good cymbals have a multitude of sounds within, depending on how you play 'em. A "crash ride" is one that its manufacturer has decided can be marketed as either.

Of course that label can be a useful guide.... As always, the key is listening. If it works for you in both contexts, it hardly matters what the label says!

• Members

Most good cymbals have a multitude of sounds within, depending on how you play 'em. A "crash ride" is one that its manufacturer has decided can be marketed as either.

Of course that label can be a useful guide.... As always, the key is listening. If it works for you in both contexts, it hardly matters what the label says!

Elvin Jones used to say don't buy any cymbal that you can't get 20 different sounds from.

I always suspect cymbals actually labeled "crash-ride" of being really good at neither. But I like a ride to crash well--they usually do.

• Members

Crash Rides RULE - in my opinion, most jazz rides can be crashed on, and that's why I buy those instead of rock rides. It has nice stick definition, but not a "ping" sound. The wash is smoky and the stick attack is woody. The wash will sustain, but not at high frequencies. It's a dark sound. I am enjoying hitting lightly, or shafting the ride cymbal. It produces a multitude of tones. I'd say a crash ride is very versatile, and the left side is a great place to put it.

Up until now, I've been a Zildjian player/buyer. But my next cymbal purchases will not be Zildjians. Reason being is they are not making the cymbals that I want to purchase. They sound almost generic. Good but too similar to each other.

At a show, I heard some Bosphorus rides being played, and they knocked me out! Jazzy sounds of old, with new cymbals. Even Zildjian's K. Constantinople series or their CIE or Prototypes don't sound this good (to me).

Along with Bosphorus, Dream Cymbals (made in China, in Wuhan, the city) Bliss Series are seriously competitive. Fully hand-hammered, machine lathed very lightly, these cymbals are amazing sounding, from the sound files I've listened to, to the one ride I struck at The Drum Pad. AND SUPER CHEAP!!! 3 times less than a K. Constantinople. Of course, there will be people who cry quality control, or they've broken them. I haven't broken a ride or a crash in several years. The one crash i did break was along the lathing line. That's a problem of the cymbal, not my playing. I'd say they are for accurate cymbal strikers.

• Members

I always suspect cymbals actually labeled "crash-ride" of being really good at neither. But I like a ride to crash well--they usually do.

That's been my experience. I had a couple 18" crash rides from Sabian and Zildijan, and they were all too heavy to be a useful crash and too light to be a useful ride. And too small. I also had a 20" Saluda crash ride that was way too big and heavy.

Now, I use either 18" or 19" crashes that are darker in tone as my crash ride. I don't need a stick sound out of them, just a nice wash.

• Moderators

Exactly.

I have a 22" Zildijan "Sweet Ride" and it's great as a crash too!

• Members

Is what I have and I love it. I think would be hard to find one in the cheaper models.But in Zild A and Sabian AA series would have a decent one. Is also hard to find one in stock to play so might have to answer to many sound files.

I can play on the bell and get a great clang sound (not annoying) or play with a few inches of where the bow meets the bell and is a nice tight ride sound. Crash/Rides are hard to "ride" close to the edge and not get a lot of wash due to the crash characteristics.

In My Humble Opinion, I like mine most because it's an HH model (hand hammered) Which make's it a little darker sounding (not as dark as some Zild Ks), so it helps counteract the brightness an 18" ride might have. But an A or AA will work very well.

I can also crash with light glancing blows and get nice tight responsive crashes or a little harder and get more of beefier crash. Plus with the Hand Hammered model it's good for light mallet work (which works great on intros, endings and playing behind guitar solos and other players etc.)

In a nutshell, Yes I think crash/rides are good and work. Shop around and be sure what you're getting before you buy. Might have to spend some more than entry level cymbal but will be worth it. If you do buy, take care of it and don't let just anybody play it. While most crash/rides can take a lot, they can't take as much as an entry level cymbal but will produce fuller and richer sounds.

Sorry so long.......... Hope this helps

• Moderators

I'm all about that Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride. If I had to use a different one I'd go with a K or K Custom. I'm pretty sure K's are the thinnest (of the A,K, and Z lines) so their rides tend to crash pretty well... in my opinion of course.

Oops, 21", yes- I said 22! :o

The Sweet Ride is great. It the only cymbal I use on my kit right now, besides my hats.

Oh, and some K's are pretty thick, actually...

• Moderators

i think crash/rides are to washy to be rides but have to much ping to be crashes. my friend has a Sabian B8 crash/ride and its really loud and rings forever but thats B8s for ya.

I wouldn't judge the entire crash/ride category of cymbal by the performance of a B8!

:D

• Members

Mine is an AA SoundControl 18" from 20 years ago. The bell is awesome, it crashes very well, and it rides pretty well. It's also what I use when I want a sizzle sound, I throw a chain over it and it sounds fantastic. Perfect definition AND wash for jazz.... also my Atlas 16" ProSC crash makes a great jazzy ride sound.

Sabian 18" HH Crash/Ride

Is what I have and I love it. I think would be hard to find one in the cheaper models.But in Zild A and Sabian AA series would have a decent one. Is also hard to find one in stock to play so might have to answer to many sound files.

I can play on the bell and get a great clang sound (not annoying) or play with a few inches of where the bow meets the bell and is a nice tight ride sound. Crash/Rides are hard to "ride" close to the edge and not get a lot of wash due to the crash characteristics.

In My Humble Opinion, I like mine most because it's an HH model (hand hammered) Which make's it a little darker sounding (not as dark as some Zild Ks), so it helps counteract the brightness an 18" ride might have. But an A or AA will work very well.

I can also crash with light glancing blows and get nice tight responsive crashes or a little harder and get more of beefier crash. Plus with the Hand Hammered model it's good for light mallet work (which works great on intros, endings and playing behind guitar solos and other players etc.)

In a nutshell, Yes I think crash/rides are good and work. Shop around and be sure what you're getting before you buy. Might have to spend some more than entry level cymbal but will be worth it. If you do buy, take care of it and don't let just anybody play it. While most crash/rides can take a lot, they can't take as much as an entry level cymbal but will produce fuller and richer sounds.Sorry so long.......... Hope this helps

• Members

@ Twosticks - you damn near described my 19" Saluda Mist. It can do alright on the bell, has a nice "tang" with the tip of the stick near the bell or bow, but get too close to the edge, and it's all over. Hand hammered, so it's a bit dark and complex.

My 20" K Medium Ride was great with the shoulder of the stick on the bow/near the edge (not on the edge like a crash) for building up a wash. But she cracked on me after a couple years...still miss her.

• Members

Marko, the chain acts as a sizzle, like rivets kinda. I don't care for 'em, but that's me.

As far as the 21" Sweet Ride as a crash- Damn Dan. I use mine as a ride. But again, to each his own.

I got lucky on cymbalcellar.co and found a 19" '70's era Adevis Crash/Ride. It is what is says. It's not quite heavy enough to act as a full ride, nor light enough to act as a crash. I use it a lot, one of my favorites. Best part, $90.00, mint condition. You can't beat the older Z's IMO. marko

• Members

A small little "chain thing" that goes over top of the cymbal, just like it sounds. The chain is attached to a small ring that goes on top of the center of the cymbal and is help in place by the stand itself. It makes a sizzly sound.

Is this a make-shift thingie, or an official product that is sold for that purpose?

Archived