My very fist set! Can somsone give a noob some guidance? (pics)

Hand Amputation

• Members

What a pretty kit, even if the sizes look way too big.

I was self-taught for a couple years, I just listened to and copied my favorite bands. Visualize the drummer hitting the kick, snare, toms, cymbals, everything. Try and play along.

After a few years, I took lessons, and improved 10,000%. Night and day. I was always a "good" drummer, but I became excellent. Dynamics, control, time, creativity, ability to decipher more complex rhythms, everything.

Quit lessons, and haven't really progressed, but I will say my drumming has simplified and become a lot more solid and musical in the time since.

Just a little story. Have fun, play along with your favorite music, but if you're serious, there's no replacement for lessons.

• Members

You Tube is loaded with clip's from dvd's on drum lessons, solos etc. Its a good filler in between lessons and you wont have to spend money on a dvd you may not like. I like this guy Randy VanPatton and/or Vans drumming. Very down to earth, and fairly entertaining.

• Members

Great, thank you guys. I have been doing some research on DVD's this morning. I doubt I could do lessons anytime soon, but I would be more than happy to shell out for some dvd's that would really help.

Anyone else have anything to say?

The Jojo Mayer Secret Weapons video is fantastic, and probably has 10 years worth of practice material on it for a relative noob.

/w

• Members
Finally got my tom stand today.

Looks perty!

Gretsch.jpg

(Better cymbals to come!)

Hey Hand!!! I have that same flag!! Born and raised in OKC myself. Where in Oklahoma are you??? Nice ass set dude!! If you don't want to say exactly, I can go by region.

I grew up in South OKla City and went to Moore schools, moved to Mustang during high school, first apartment was in Yukon. Later lived and worked in Guthrie, Edmond and OKC. Have a sister, grandmother in Moore and a few aunts and uncles and many cousins in Choctaw and up north of Tulsa as well.

Boomer Sooner or Get em' Pokes!!!

• Members

I would also add that make sure when you practice to regement your time. Really plan out what you want to accomplish during your practice session. Break it down into segments. And most of all practice what you CAN'T do....not what you can. Then at the end leave your self 15 minutes to improvise and explore your creativity.

• Members

Hey Hand!!! I have that same flag!! Born and raised in OKC myself. Where in Oklahoma are you??? Nice ass set dude!! If you don't want to say exactly, I can go by region.

I grew up in South OKla City and went to Moore schools, moved to Mustang during high school, first apartment was in Yukon. Later lived and worked in Guthrie, Edmond and OKC. Have a sister, grandmother in Moore and a few aunts and uncles and many cousins in Choctaw and up north of Tulsa as well.

Boomer Sooner or Get em' Pokes!!!

Norman, home of the SOONERS!!

I was raised in Choctaw. Graduated in '99. So I am not that much of a geezer yet. ;)

I love Oklahoma. In fact, that's my next tattoo, The Oklahoma flag.

• Members

Hey Hand. Welcome to the boards! Your kit is BEAUTIFUL! I've been seriously considering a gretsch kit for awhile now, I just don't have any cash!

I actually have the exact same Pork Pie snare (presuming it's the 14" not the 13"). I can post one of our songs for an audio reference if you'd like.

Good luck with the lessons! I can tell you I'm 100% self taught using magazines, mp3s and DVDs to hone my craft and I think I'm doing alright for 3 years.

Cheers!

• Members

What's Perwoll?

And yes, it's the 14 inch PP snare. I love it! It sounds so well with the kit. My roomate and I spent about an hour yesterday tuning them, and they sound FANTASTIC! That 18 inch tom is something else!

And for the record we play "stoner rock" even though I hate the term. Bluesy Riffs and heavy plodding drum tracks with TONS of reverb on the guitar and vocals is a more accurate description.

That's why I wanted the "oversized" set.

Next lesson tomorrow. I am pumped!

Cheers!!

• Members
I would really like to put the tom above the bass drum, but the damn thing is so big its WAY too tall!

See how the 1st and 2nd toms are so far apart? Its kindof a stretch. I wish there was a way.

Any suggestions?

Sit higher and raise the small tom - the higher you raise it, the more you can move it towards the right, closer to your floor toms.

That's the problem with large diameter kicks. Otherwise, you'll just have to work on moving faster :D .

• Members
Norman, home of the SOONERS!!

I was raised in Choctaw. Graduated in '99. So I am not that much of a geezer yet.
;)

I love Oklahoma. In fact, that's my next tattoo, The Oklahoma flag.

Wow, I have not been in Okla. since Jan of 99'. I don't miss the snow and ice of Oklahoma's winters, but I do really miss the people. I miss truly sincere people from that area. I miss my friends and family from there. Not that other places are not great, but if you ever spend a while between Dodge City and the Red River, you will find salt of the earth people.

It doesn't matter if you're not a geezer, we can all learn learn just as much from you. My sister graduated from OU, I grad. from UCO.

I will agree with others, is hard to get a big tom over a big kick. If you are already using a correct tom stand, then yes set up higher and raise the tom as well or Maybe get a rack?? Hope this helps

• Members

How tall are you?

I'm 5'8" and always like to be over my drums instead of behind. I struggled with tom placement, especially trying to fit 2 or 3 toms over the kick area, but settled with one just to the left and over.

I would never be able to play a kit that big as I like my tom to be right in front of my snare and the hihats and ride in tight. Have to compromise.

Archived