Where do you Sit? Ontop or In...

JayhawkDrummer

• Members

I am new here and I am not sure if this has been asked or talked about before... Where do you sit? OnTop of you kit like Max Wienberg or Down into your kit and play up ? Me I am somewhere in the middle with my Toms tilted in and my Cymbals just above my toms on an angle. No overhead shots. More straight out.... What Ya' all be doin'?

Anthony (Jd)

• Members

I prefer her on top- oh {censored}, wrong forum.

I used to sit on top due to having long legs. My guitarist made a comment to me one day about it, not being critical. So I tried it lower and liked it. I play considerably lower now and it's improved my double bass work. legs I guess are straight parallel. Probably where they should have been anyway.

• Members

I have my throne as low as it'll go, but everything is so low to the ground I'm still on top of it (and I'm short, too). Best of both worlds?

My rack tom is on a snare stand at its lowest setting, if that gives you an idea, and it's a shallow tom.

i do the same, but i am 6'1'' so on top.

• Members

Thighs on a slight down ward angle...so sitting up fairly high. I like being fairly "up over" the drums. Toms with only a slight tilt down toward the snare/FT. I want the feeling of hitting down and not "into" the drum.

I think the most important thing is stick contact. In my opinion to get the best sound off the drum the side of the tip needs to be hitting properly. When I see toms with to much tilt I think that unless your sitting freakishly low then to much of the absolute tip of the stick will make contact and that will sound like {censored}.

• Members

Thanks for the input. When I started playing I fiddled with where to sit. Watched other people and asked my instructors. I finally have what I have now. Looks like the picture in "cearleywine"'s avatar is how I have my setup.

Years ago when I went to an open mic in KC at a blues bar I sat in on skins and the set was this white 10 piece monster with about a dozen cymbals and the whole nine yards. It was a kit to climb into and it was seated real low and everything was in front and ontop of me. HOWEVER it was the most comfortable and easiest set I have ever played. I was hot and hit everything. NOw this was toward the end of the night and I had a few pitchers too. Ever Since I have tried to recreate that setting and sitting but with no success. Anyway I wish I hade asked the drummer some questions or paid more attention to the setup. That's what you get for being young and in a hurry.....

Anyway thanks for your 2 cents.....

Anthony in Kansas....

Archived