Roc-N-Suck throne (never buying non-Tama hardware again)

Kevin K Is A OK

• Members

I like Tama hardware, but I think the high end DW stuff is quite nice. I've never had any problems. I have a DW 5k kick pedal, 7k hi hat stand, 9k snare stand and dual tom/cymbal stand and have had 0 problems with them. Most of their stuff is quite robustly built. But I guess to each his own. :confused:

• Members

Hey Guys:

I tried the whole ' superthrone' with the backrest and the ergo seat...mine wasn't a gas adj, but a locking collar and spin for the height setup. I just couldn't get used to it though, so my keyboard player is using it , I'm back to the old pie plate on a metal stick configuration:facepalm: I'll get a duluxo seat soon enough...as for the other part of this thread....I have Tama hardware dating from the MID 70s that is still being used in my kit. Big wide machined wingnut adjustments, all the tension points spring loaded, the tubes machined smooth both on the out AND inside. Rivets in the legs are still solid, they even made built in end caps on the bottom of the stands:eek: If I spread out the leg diameter to its max level, they look like the diameter of a 20 inch bass drum. I have beaten the hot holy shit outa this hardware and its still grinning at me saying ' that's all you got???' .....I recently picked up a Pearl 2 leg HH as I've taken up double pedal , and I SWEAR you need an engineering degree to work it. Multiple cams? swivel this and that? and CHRIST knows how many little bits I have to adjust to make sure I'm not leaving a debris field behind me and the damn thing stops working....but it is solid, I'll just have to read the OWNERS MANUAL that came with it. That's right; AN OWNERS MANUAL for a HH Stand:blah::facepalm::mad:....Have the entry level Tama double pedal I got from a pawnshop for 25 bucks, and it does the job fine. ....oh yeah, I ALSO have some Pearl Hardware from the 70s, with double braced legs and the gear tooth adjustment heads for the boom arms. You young whippersnappers don't know how spoiled you are with all this ubergear that's out now!!!! the spindly shit I started with.....

:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

• Members

Is there anywhere to order equipment online that I have at least better than a 50% chance of not getting screwed? I know a lot of the online places are pretty much just a Guitar Center with popup ads. I usually use a place called Steve Weiss Music but they don't have any Tama thrones.

wwbw.com theyre a nice site and the people there are nice. im not sure what they stock as far as tama, but its worth a shot.

btw i loved your post. it was hilarious.

• Members

So, buying from musicians friend is just like buying from guitar center? same {censored}?

Effectively yes, it all come out of the same warehouse. You can use the item numbers from either site to search and when one is out of stock, you'll notice they're all out of stock.

• Members

Maybe the clutch needs replacing. Try cleaning the support tube too. It might've gotten slippery.

Could you go into more detail with this? I'd love to take everything apart and give it a cleanup and/or replace a clutch but I don't want to mess it up (worse) like, I figure I could easily screw something up and let the nitrogen gas out. Or maybe it's already been let out and that's why it sucks?

I dunno! I'm glad people have had theirs working great for like 10 years, this one's maybe 2 or 3 years old, I'm not sure what the deal is.

• Members

Can't really comment on Tama hardware. . haven't used much of it. But I did have an old Tama boom stand w/ a counterweight so big, I sold it to the airport for them to use as a wheelchock.

For my throne, for close to 10 years I've been using a no-name (Gibralter) nitroshock 4-legged base and a smallish motorcycle style seat w/ backrest. ..hasn't yet failed to perform its task comfortably.

• Members

Well I took the piece of {censored} apart and cleaned it out and put the piece of {censored} back together, put the bolts on tighter than hell. I sat on it and bounced around and stuff, didn't seem to sink down anymore.

But I don't trust it, once a piece of {censored}, always a piece of {censored}. I don't need to play a show sometime and then start sinking down a foot mid-set so I have to reach up for the drums like I'm one of those toddlers trying to play drums.

I'll probably hunt around for a good price on the Tama. But the Roc-N-Suc will have to work for now.

• Members

Well I took the piece of {censored} apart and cleaned it out and put the piece of {censored} back together, put the bolts on tighter than hell. I sat on it and bounced around and stuff, didn't seem to sink down anymore.

But I don't trust it, once a piece of {censored}, always a piece of {censored}. I don't need to play a show sometime and then start sinking down a foot mid-set so I have to reach up for the drums like I'm one of those toddlers trying to play drums.

I'll probably hunt around for a good price on the Tama. But the Roc-N-Suc will have to work for now.

Sorry missed this post lolz...

• Members

I have a Pork Pie Big boy which is virtually a rocnsoc. It works very well, looks cool, but I'd like something more comfy.

I have this exact one

pic-throne-bb-silvzeb.jpg

I'd like to get the Tama ergorider though. It is much beefier.

29.gif

I have a Tama throne from the 90s as well, but it is a small seat and not sufficient enough for me.

Are there any custom throne manufactures out there?

• Members

This is the throne: http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAMHT730 plus I got the back rest. Seems well made but it's almost as if the wobble is from how the metal plate is attached to the cushion--there's really no other place it could be tightened. I had a friend interested in a new throne try it and she decided not to go with it after trying mine. Also, I did replace the bolts as the Tamas were part of a recall but that wasn't the problem causing the wobble.

I'm getting a sound seat now. Can't wait for it to arrive.

http://www.soundseat.com/

Archived