Roc-N-Suck throne (never buying non-Tama hardware again)

Kevin K Is A OK

• Members

Holy christ what a piece of {censored}. A couple years ago I foolishly bought a Roc-N-Soc throne at Sam Ash for 150 dollars. The drum tech told me it was worth the money because it's the last drum throne I'd ever have to buy. Too bad they don't retain employees for than two weeks at that {censored}hole because if they did I'd march right back in there and shove it up his ass sideways. Two mistakes I'll never repeat: 1) Shop at those goddamn Wal-Marts of music (Sam Ash, Guitar Center and 2) buy ANYTHING hardware related at all that isn't Tama.

I swear, why is it that Tama makes the best, no bull{censored} stuff, while EVERY other company out there makes entirely worthless bull{censored}. Stop trying, get your {censored} off the shelf, close the factory. Your piece of hardware is constructed for the simple purpose of holding a drum or piece equipment together. You have one job to do, and you fail it completely. Get out of town.

I've been in the long process of replacing everything I have with Tama stuff, and the last piece of {censored} to {censored} the bed was my Roc-N-Suck throne. It's hydraulic, but I guess I'm too fat for it because now it just slowly sinks down to it's lowest level so my knees are up in the air and I'm flailing like Travis Barker. LAAAAME. I'll just find an acceptable height and put a bolt through it for now, but I'm ordering that badass Tama Roadpro or whatever four-legged throne they have RIGHT NOW. I'm done patching stuff and dealing with second rate bull{censored}. Especially when the "second-rate bull{censored}" is the same price or even more expensive than Tama!

I had a DW 9000 double pedal. They nailed a lot of the criteria. Sleek look, smooth action, lots of adjustments, etc. But they completely missed the basics....such as, make it sturdy enough so that every nut and bolt on the damn thing doesn't shake loose when you play so by the end of your set your bass pedal area looks like Ground Zero. Or that "stay-connected-the-{censored}ing-bass-drum" feature. Guess they forgot about that one when they were too busy figuring out how many 00000s to add to the end of the price. When your best feature is velcro, you know you're a piece of {censored}. I now play a Tama Iron Cobra. Sturdy, rugged, doesn't move, doesn't come loose, I play better, and feel better because nothing is sliding around, nothing is popping loose, an absolutely perfect pedal.

I had a high-end Pearl Hi-hat stand. I didn't know what I was missing, it was pretty crappy all along, but then something broke on the bottom where the convoluted, extra-{censored}ty chain mechanism was. So I bought whatever that high-end Tama hi-hat stand is. The one that tilts and all that. Not only does it do the tilting (unnecessary for me, but whatever), the thing only has two freaking legs and it's more sturdy than any other hi-hat stand I've ever played. And once again, it's completely solid and rugged and feels wonderful to play.

Had some kind of Pearl snare stand abortion. The joint that tilts was never sturdy, while it wouldn't often come loose (not that anything more than once is excusable) it always felt wobbly. And the tension bolt or whatever that tightens the cradle to the snare drum, that would screw loose as I played, making the drum no longer cradle by the rims but kinda rest in there (so the height would change plus the sound for the worse). Got a Tama Roadpro and my snare ain't going anywhere. It even gets low enough for my 8 inch deep snare. I didn't even consider that when I bought it. Tama just doesn't mess around.

Now my last problem is this piece of excrement throne from the douchebags and Roc-N-Suc. I'm not light, I weigh 225 lbs (at least I'm 6'1", still fat as hell, but not like anime-nerd fat or something) but when you're constructing a throne that cost 150 dollars, I think you should consider that drummers drink a lot of beer and usually don't do any real work and their only exercise is playing drums while canceling out any calories burned by drinking beer while playing. At 225 lbs, I'm not even near the top register of how fat and disgusting we drummers can get. I don't think my weight (all muscle, just oddly shaped like lovehandles, I have a weird workout routine) is an issue. I think the hydraulic thing is just an overly elaborate piece of {censored} and I just need a sturdy, solid, rugged, no bull{censored} Tama throne.

I should work for Tama's PR. That would be our slogan. Tama: No Bull{censored}. Couldn't be said better, guarantee you, buy anything related to drums that is not the actual shell or cymbal that's not Tama, and you will be {censored}ed. You think it's OK that you have to start getting McGeyver on all your hardware just to try to get it to take on the simple task of holding stuff up. Just say no, put an end all the worthless bull{censored} that floods the market that is not Tama. It's a waste of time, a waste of money, a waste of years off your life as the stress and strain it induces will surely clog an aortic valve.

And the biggest complaint I hear about Tama stuff? It's HEAVY. Heavy? Isn't that the point? It's because it's heavy sturdy stuff that's going to hold your drums up and going to hold your (my) fatass up. Why the hell would you want it lightweight? Sure it's easier to carry, but then it can't even "carry" your drums. Not to mention, I think the heaviness can be attributed to Tama hardware's "solid" feel (the pedals and hihat stand mainly). That crap needs to not be lightweight.

So buy Tama hardware. I just have to replace my throne and then I'll start phasing out cymbal stands to Tama ones when the joints break or they find all kinds of innovative ways to just not do their simple job of holding goddamn cymbals in the air. My hardware case will be heavier and I couldn't be happier about it.

edit: oh and back in the day I had a Gibralter rack. Back when I was dumb enough to be a "rack" drummer. Holy {censored}balls what a terrible waste of every fathomable resource ever. The thing probably would have been decent in a closet for hanging clothes or something, but for holding drums up?? HELL NO. (to their defense, they did improve on their design a bit since I had that rack, but still, {censored} Gibralter).

• Members

Unfortunately my Tama throne is wobbly--no matter what I do; and it's less than two years old. Other than that, any Tama stuff I have is over 20 years old and still going strong. It's also some of the lighter weight stuff.

• Members

Unfortunately my Tama throne is wobbly--no matter what I do; and it's less than two years old. Other than that, any Tama stuff I have is over 20 years old and still going strong. It's also some of the lighter weight stuff.

Must be a counterfeit. :):poke:

Which one is it? Maybe some of their budget stuff can be a little chinsey, but I'm going to the top dollar stuff, like I got the Iron Cobra, whatever their best hihat stand is, and I'm going to buy that awesome 4-legged throne they have.

Look at this thing! http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/hardware_data.php?id=29&year=2008&area=2

Even Jabba the Hutt would be able to use this thing with no trouble!

Edit: there was another review on MusiciansFriend where they said it got a bit wobbly after some bolt broke. But they do have a list of all their parts on their website, so it could theoretically be replaced if the bolt somewhere broke. That's kinda shitty, but I'd rather do that than take a shot in the dark with any other company.

• Members

I had a DW 9000 double pedal. ...When your best feature is velcro, you know you're a piece of shit.

:lol: Man, I got a bunch of good laughs out of your post! But yeah, I can see what you're saying about some of the crap on the market that masquerades as "pro" drum hardware.

I do have a Roc-n-Soc right now and it's doing OK. My last throne was a 3-leg Tama Wide Rider and I never quite got comfortable on it, plus the mechanism was a pain in the ass to adjust height with, IMO. It never wanted to stay tight either.

Snare stands are a Tama Air Ride and the top Road Pro model. No probs there at all.

I have an Iron Cobra HH right now - the 905 Lever Glide. Works fine, no issues. My previous DW 7000 was OK, but I like the added features on the 905 so I bought it. DW cymbal arms always worked well for me too.

I have had no probs with my Gibraltar Road Rack or Pearl Eliminator pedal or Yamaha cymbal stands. My Sonor tom mounts however I just don't care for. The wingnuts are too small and/or the wrong shape to get a good tight crank on without getting sore fingers, etc.

I'd say it's a mixed bag for hardware out there - some is very good, some can be shitty. You have to find the stuff that works for you and stick with it.

• Members

Roc N Soc has a lifetime warranty.

ooh? Even without a receipt?

I don't want to spend 200 dollars on the Tama throne, even though I should.

ARRRg, I gotta get something, even if I have a warrantly, I'd have to send this clunker out and be like 6 months without a drum throne. AAAHHHH

Life is unfathomably {censored}ty all the goddamn time. {censored}

• Members

Your original post was probably one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh! :thu:

And while you might have been a tad bit overzealous, I agree that it's frustrating when seemingly simple and basic gear fails. I've been through enough cheap cymbal stands, thrones and kick pedals to have learned to shell out the extra bucks for the quality hardware.

• Members

I can think of tons of people who gig more in a year than you do in a life time that use non-tama hardware.

And sorry if your 9000 turned to {censored} but a pedal that sits on kits for 6 months and gets played at least 5 hours a day, 7 days a week and doesn't crap out, is not {censored} by any means.

• Members

Nice rant!

1. I've never seen the need for a "hydraulic" throne. Needless complication = it's gonna break earlier than you expect. Add 225 lbs. . . . .

2. I love the Tama hardware, I use some in my kit. My experience seems to differ from yours, though, I've used the upper-level Pearl hardware in my kid's kit for years with complete satisfaction. Nothing has ever broken or even failed to work, and that kit is gigged frequently--it's been torn down and set up innumerable times--and played wicked hard. It is also solid enough to mount three cymbals on one stand and two cymbals and a tom on the other--nothing moves. The mid-level hihat stand ($80) continues to work flawlessly, and it has features you usually have to pay extra for.

3. Though I prefer the higher-end Tama and Pearl hardware, I'd bet most of the high-end hardware from most of the manufacturers is good stuff. You get what you pay for.

4. I'm old enough to remember using 1960s-era hardware--pot metal everywhere--and I'm here to tell you that using modern hardware is like dying and going to heaven for an old fart like me.

• Members

I outweigh you by about 50 pounds or so Kevin, and my R&S Nitro throne hasn't even come close to letting me down in the 8 years or so I've owned it, and I'm far from timid with my gear.

Did you remember that the legs go on the floor and you sit on the seat not the other way around? Perhaps this could be your issue? :lol::poke:

• Members

Must be a counterfeit.
:)
:poke:

Which one is it? Maybe some of their budget stuff can be a little chinsey, but I'm going to the top dollar stuff, like I got the Iron Cobra, whatever their best hihat stand is, and I'm going to buy that awesome 4-legged throne they have.

Look at this thing!
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/hardware_data.php?id=29&year=2008&area=2

Even Jabba the Hutt would be able to use this thing with no trouble!

Edit: there was another review on MusiciansFriend where they said it got a bit wobbly after some bolt broke. But they do have a list of all their parts on their website, so it could theoretically be replaced if the bolt somewhere broke. That's kinda shitty, but I'd rather do that than take a shot in the dark with any other company.

I have the 3 legged version of that throne, and it's solid as a motherfucker. I've had to tighten the screws on the backrest up a couple of times, but I have been playing with it for5 years or so, with no problems. I am 245lbs.

• Members

My drum teacher got a R&S Nitro, it too failed quickly. Might be a bad run of cylenders or seals or something. The Nitros seem like a bad idea to me as well. Something extra to go wrong, for little to no gain.

I've got two of the Lunar series - those have the nitro deal...

What I like - instantly adjustable while you're sitting on it, and it does give a little...

• Members

Tama, Mapex and Pearl's top end HW is all good. I'm not a fan of DW, and have never owned anything of theirs. IC's and Eliminators are both great pedals and very durable. I got my RnC throne in July and love it, but it's not the hydraulic one. Like the others have said, it's just one more part that can fail that I never felt was neccasary. I'm playing the drums, not driving a semi. My ass is fine on a plain cushioned seat. (spell checks not working so if I misspelled something, get over it please)

Archived