Drum wrapping

cdawg

• Members

Wow rfdias, that looks great! I like the nat hoops. So you said "if you know what you're doing". What did you do? Is the tape just at the seam where they meet? How did you finish the edges? And most importantly, how does the wrap not vibrate against the shell if it's not glued?

Tell us about this, I'm very interested!

• Members

Ray,

A pic is worth a couple dozen words...

recover3008.jpg

I use tape everywhere there is a hole, seam, edge, etc. The wrap stays nice and tight. No vibration, no seams pealing back, no tearing at holes. You use more tape this way, but it is for all intensive purposes...permanent.

Bob

• Members

Thanks for the pic Bob. But I have to ask, if you're taping certain areas, even if the tape is only 1/16 of an inch thick, your loosing contact with the shell. It just seems that the wrap isn't sitting snug against the shell and that'll cause some kind of change in the sound or affect in vibration of the shell.

You tell me. What's you're experience so far? Have you noticed a before an after diff?

• Members

the tape is nowhere near 1/16 of an inch thick...more like 1/64 or less. It is like gluing only in selected spots. There is NO buzz or noise due to any kind of gap between shell and wrap. Absolutely no change in tone from naked shell whatsoever to my ears, and certainly to different to the audience. I think somebody is feeding folks just plain old wrong info. Like I said, If you know what you are doing...all is good.

Bob

• Members

Ray,

A pic is worth a couple dozen words...

recover3008.jpg

I use tape everywhere there is a hole, seam, edge, etc. The wrap stays nice and tight. No vibration, no seams pealing back, no tearing at holes. You use more tape this way, but it is for all intensive purposes...permanent.

Bob

Looks good just like that.

Archived