Drum wrapping

cdawg

• Members

ok, so i'm about to get a rogers marching snare wrapped. i'm a little nervous to do it myself, specifically cuz i heard that glue is better to use than tape, so i'd like to go that route. anybody have any experience doing this? don't refer me to ghostnote, been there. just want some opinions.

option 2: sending it somewhere. where? i know jammin' sam uses tape (so they're out.) i have emailed/talked to drummaker.com, they seem pretty reasonable. anyone ever use them? other suggestions/experiences?

finally, i'm piecing together this rogers kit, just purchased another piece on ebay. should i wait til i get all of the shells before getting wrapped, or can i do one at a time? (just worried about getting wraps that might not match exactly.)

• Members

I am rewrapping some disparate Ludwig pieces right now to make a complete kit. Some opinions...

1) Glue is not "better" than tape. Just different. I have used the tape many times and find it far cleaner and easier to work with. I am using it on this set of ludwigs. How well is works depends alot on your preparation of the shell, how much you use, and the placement. I have seen enough sloppy glue jobs to know that contact cement has its issues too.

2) I do this myself...Any of the 3-5 services out there do a good job...In cluding J-Sam's. It is not hard, but it takes patience and a dedication to precision.

3) Better to get them wrapped all at once (if someone else is doing the covering for you)...a) to make sure the wrap matches, and b) the wear over time is similar.

What finish are you going for? Bob

• Members

sat, would love to use someone from this forum. would give me reason to give 'em hell if they f****d up!! jk. maybe slappy will poke his head in...

bob-- i've taken a liking to late 60's rogers kits. i was looking to put together a kit that was mine, not a repro, per se. but i kinda want it to have the old skool feel. so i'm doing a powertone kit, but with beavertail lugs on a black diamond wrap. i'm gonna hook it up with the script logos, and all. no tom mount, looking to do the snare stand or maybe a suspended mount. i'm sure they won't have much resell value, but they're what I want. it's as close to "custom" as i wanna get!!

• Members

bob,

in terms of glue/tape, i've read that a spray adhesive would be preferred. experiences? also, i've heard with tape there's more of a chance of "pulling" of the wrap at the lugs when under tension. your thoughts?

• Members

talk to slap happy,he can probably get it done,i hear his work is superb !

Why thank you.

However I don't work with veneers , everything we do is solid wood stave construction.

Who's the guy w/ the recently re-wrapped Red Oak drum set? He did a damn fine job on his kit.

I can't remember who it was though......?

Tape , Really?

As for glue : we use conventional Wood glue for 98% of our work , and occasionally use Gorilla Glue (GG expands so if you use it do a little research first)

Not sure what folks use when wrapping , just ain't my wheelhouse.

Best of luck , and someone help me out with the name of the dude w/ the Red Oak kit. wasn't you was it Bob?

• Members

I had my Gretsch kit wrapped years ago. the guy used contact cement, after hours of sanding. You've gotta get the shells down to raw wood, very clean. Preplan where the wrap is going to start and end so it falls under a lug. before the contact cement, mark with a pencil a perfectly straight, perpendicular line from top to bottom of shell where the wrap will start. after applying the cement wait for it to dry till tacky (follow instruction on label) you're gonna roll the shell onto the wrap. so the wrap is on a long, table. line up the wrap to the line and roll the shell over it pressing very hard to make contact with the 2 surfaces.

some people have the wrap go right to the edge where the bearing edge starts, others have the wrap stop an 1/8" before the bearing edge.

contact cement is hard to work with because if you're off by a 1/16" in the beginning you could end up off my an 1/8", 1/4" or 1/2" at the end, depending on how big the drum is. And once the 2 pieces are glued, that's it, there together. the up side is contact cement won't come up if you apply the wrap correctly.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have someone else do it. My buddy did most of the work, but I'm not that patient and I'm sure I'd screw it up.

• Members

thx, PHLLP. funny, i had contacted them and they were kinda jerks. from what i had read, tape was not all that desireable, so i was hitting up a bunch of places, checking techniques and prices, etc. precision was not all that friendly about letting me know about their services. strange, considering THEY'RE IN F*****G BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY!! supposedly! so, i just figured i'd write them off. not like i need to be made love to, but if someone wants my money, you'd think they would at least do more than send one word email responses!

• Members

I've used JamminSam and Drummaker to wrap my ekit this year. JamminSam pre-cuts and applies double-sided tape to the sizes you request. Drummaker sells their wraps in half/full sheets, which you cut and either tape or glue. JamminSam cuts the length to overlap the seam about 1", which you position under two lugs. The Drummaker bronze glitter glass I had to cut and apply the two-sided tape myself.

Purple sparkle from JamminSam.

tom-top640.jpg

Drummaker bronze glitter glass on the snare.

snare-pedals640.jpg

Pintech drums I painted to match the JamminSam wrap.

Pintech8wrap.jpg

Full kit.

2purple-front.jpg

• Members

I just finished my kit about a month ago and I used veneer not wrap but it s the same process other than i had to finish the wood but its not to bad to do yourself and I would recommend the glue yes it may be a little harder to use, but with the tape, there can be peeling problems and if you dont use enough tape, you can have problems with wrap "buzzing". You could contact www.precisiondrum.com check out theire site, they have a lot of good looking stuff and you can send all your shells to them and they will recut the edges and they use glue to attach the wrap. never worked with them but I did get some good ideas from them.

• Members

wes-- sweet looking kit!! thanks for your input. still a leaning toward glue, for sure. i'll check out drummaker for sure. (not sure if i wanna do it myself, and i know j.sam doesn't glue.)

dan-- thanks for you info, but if you looked at my last post, you'd see a little rant about how i contacted precision and they were pricks. thanks, tho.

• Members

Thanks cdawg and cearleywine. Since these are electronic drums and I'm not concerned with acoustic tones from them, the taped wrap method was fine with me. WW

I'm about to replace the 16" kicks with 22's, which I'll also wrap in purple sparkle.

Pulse-bass2216-Jul42009.jpg

• Members

I wrapped a big bass drum a few weeks ago, didn't use glue or tape. Didn't even remove the old wrap, just went right over the old.

The hardware holds it down tight. The seam is an overlap on the bottom where nobody would see it anyway.

It was cut for length and width, I just wrapped it, and taped it down tight with duct tape so it wouldnt move, then drilled and installed the hardware one at a time all the way around.

Stuff aint coming off.

• Members

I've used JamminSam and Drummaker to wrap my ekit this year. JamminSam pre-cuts and applies double-sided tape to the sizes you request. Drummaker sells their wraps in half/full sheets, which you cut and either tape or glue. JamminSam cuts the length to overlap the seam about 1", which you position under two lugs. The Drummaker bronze glitter glass I had to cut and apply the two-sided tape myself.

Purple sparkle from JamminSam.

tom-top640.jpg

Drummaker bronze glitter glass on the snare.

snare-pedals640.jpg

Pintech drums I painted to match the JamminSam wrap.

Pintech8wrap.jpg

Full kit.

2purple-front.jpg

That is the sweetest E kit I've seen.

It ALMOST looks like a REAL kit.. :poke:

Archived