ot - Fitness, running, all that

fishingprize

• Members

Anyone here get into exercising? How's it going for ya? I've started running the last week or so, hoping it might help me feel better. Can't really say I've noticed much of a difference so far but I'll stick at it.

I can do about a 15 minute light run before my chest and lungs hurt. might need to work on that :cop:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

stick with it, for sure. you might not see a big difference now, but you will. i used to run about a mile every day, and it helped a ton. now, i'm a dumb smoker (trying to quit,) and i'm useless. when i jogged, i felt great, plus i felt like doing things. really worth it.

as for the light run, just do what you can. i'd always run/walk/run, etc. as long as you're moving, it's all good.

• Members

24 Hour Fitness is a mile from my apartment, so I'll run there, work out, then run home. Three - four times a week.

Buddy of mine was a bit overweight, so a year ago he hit the gym hard and only ate two plain chicken breasts per day (as in, that's all he ate). In two months he had dropped 60 pounds.

I would not advise that kind of drastic change, because he got burned out, quit, and got fat again. Ease into it and with each workout, make sure that you do just a little bit more than you did the last time.

• Members

I've been a fitness junkie since I was about 13. I used to wrestle, I play ice hockey, go to the gym, etc. If you're just getting started, you should definitely stick through the sucky part...which the beginning is. Even after all these years, I HATE running, but I find that it's the absolute best way to quickly trim weight and get your lungs/heart in shape. But if you find you hate it too, find something else like biking, swimming, rollerblading...whatever.

Sticking with it is worth it. I was a bit pudgy as a kid. Now I eat Capn Crunch, Pop Tarts, Tastykakes, pizza - anything I want - and it doesn't catch up with me because I've trained my metabolism to be so fast over the years. (Watch out for soda though. Two of those a day will make you fat all by itself.)

Anyway, enough of my rant. Stick with it (or find another activity you can stick with)! It's good for you and you'll feel great after about two months. Props for starting!

• Members

Exercise is a way of life for me at this point! I weight lift, mountain bike, and break a massive sweat fest every day (drumming, too!). I'm currently 190 pounds, 5'11", and the trimmest I've ever been. I love the way it makes me feel, the energy I have, and the confidence it gives me in all different walks of life.

You're investing in your body if you do it the healthy way (i.e. not the chicken breast guy from above! :) Start slow and easy and just keep pushing yourself!

• Members

Stick with it is the key......at age 25 after years of being 235 and no being very energetic, I went on a diet, cut out all the bad stuff, limited myself to good stuff once a week, and worked out 4-5 nights a week at home for almost a year. I dropped to 185 and had the body I should of had in high school. Then came a job switch. I started eating out for lunch with the guys, wich lead to more eating out at home, less working out. end result was from 1995 until 2005 I managed to get back upto 235..........and then it goes downhill from there. after 2005 I ended having one of my kids come down with an illness that has put me under a high stress situation, and myself I like to handle stress by eating..........fast forward to 2009, maybe 270-275 and feel like crap, no energy,.......sick of it. Ive started getting headaches, which I "never" had before. blood pressure is up and tired most of the time. Yesterday I purchased a punching bag (100 pd'er) and am going to find a new way to vent off some stress. That and if I ever want to get back in my racecar I need to shed some poundage, that and Im not sure if I could take the stress without having a heart attack in the car in my current condition. Most of the battle is mental.......a mindset so to speak. main thing is stick with it, its:thu: easy to get off track.

• Members

Being military, working out is more or less a job requirement. The key to exercising for me is definately a) get into a routine and b) set goals.

Diet is a huge part of it too. There was a good article in one of the big magazines recently (Time or Newsweek) about the importance of diet when exercising. The correlation can't be underestimated.

• Members

Once I get my debt paid off, I plan on getting one of those bowflex revolution dealies. Remove couch, insert bowflex, work out from the time I get home, until I get tired and go to bed.

Muscle burns calories 24/7, and keeping the metabolism up will help too.

I weigh 300ish now. I figure I'll level out at about 250 and be built like a linebacker when I'm done...maybe...hopefully.

I'm already trying to cut back on the caffiene so I can have an easier time quitting pop. So far...dunno. Give and Take. I'm focused on work and money pretty hard right now, which I'm sure the stress isn't helping too..

• Members

The best way for me to increase my running ability is with kettlebells. I hate running - I just get bored. But swinging a kettlebell for a half hour every day definitely improves endurance and speed. Especially when I'm at a point that I don't have time for the gym routine (which I sorely miss). So, when I do go running, I don't feel like such a mess and need to stop and walk at a half mile.

• Members

^^^quitting soda was the easiest thing ive done. i drink coffee so the caffiene drop didnt bother me.

recently quit smoking so looking to get the old ticker and the lungs in shape, starting a routine soon hopefully when i get a bit less busy.

I can't do coffee without cream/sugar, so, that kills it there for me.

Right now I'm trading off a pepsi for a kool-aid or countrytime lemonade.

My problem is that my feet get to HURTING when I walk or run for any distance - like an arch or ligament problem on the bottom of my foot.

It's bad enough that by the time it hurts, it'll hurt REAL bad by the time I get back.

I've got a physical next week (fun asspoke too...) so I'll find out then if it's an issue with diabetes or some crap, and ask him about it.

• Members

Being in shape is a total lifestyle! I am in better shape now at age 42 than when was in my 30's. When I was doing plant work going to the same place everyday doing the same thing everyday I weighed in at 235 lbs (I am 6'2") Now that I work for myself remodeling I am in better shape (other than my back hurts like crazy) and weigh 195 lbs.

• Members

WOW that was a lot of replies haha. I should have mentioned I'm not trying to lose weight, i'm 62kg/136~ pounds and about 5'6 so if anything I need to gain weight :p

Keep at it! running is good for your head. Once you can run some distance, you start to clear out the trash in your head, I miss it. Can't run anymore knee are torn, acl left and right with no insurance.Drink lots of water too.

Yeah that's where I'd like to get to. I have actually started noticing a difference in my drumming, I used to get fatigued after about half an hour of songs, but the other night I did about a three hour jam and was fine :)

• Members

The best way for me to increase my running ability is with kettlebells. I hate running - I just get bored. But swinging a kettlebell for a half hour every day definitely improves endurance and speed. Especially when I'm at a point that I don't have time for the gym routine (which I sorely miss). So, when I do go running, I don't feel like such a mess and need to stop and walk at a half mile.

When I first read this I thought, you're a helluva man running with kettlebells.

• Members

I can't do coffee without cream/sugar, so, that kills it there for me.

Right now I'm trading off a pepsi for a kool-aid or countrytime lemonade.

My problem is that my feet get to HURTING when I walk or run for any distance - like an arch or ligament problem on the bottom of my foot.

It's bad enough that by the time it hurts, it'll hurt REAL bad by the time I get back.

I've got a physical next week (fun asspoke too...) so I'll find out then if it's an issue with diabetes or some crap, and ask him about it.

Sounds like Plantar Fasciitis.

• Members

Never been much for working out, especially running, have bad back, actually neves in back, and if I were to run, I wouldn't be able to walk for a week. But recently quit smoking (don't congratulate, cause I dip) and have been wondering if working out would help with drumming, and just feling better in general, but never done it. Was raised with a work smart not hard ethic, and have a hard time with the idea of sweating and breathing hard and all that stuff on purpose.

• Members

I hear ya, I've been seriously thinking about getting back into running myself. I ran cross-country and track (distance) in high school and a few years after. I hit the big 4-0 this year and I feel old.

Anyway, first of all, get some decent shoes that fit right, you don't need to spend a ton of money, just shoes with good cushion soles, that are snug without tight. Toes should be 1/2 inch to 1 inch from tip of shoes. Also check on shoes that come in extra width if you have broad feet.

Also stretch out before runnning, do not bounce! touch your toes (or reach for them) and just hang for 30 seconds. push against a wall like you're trying to push it down with one foot in front and then switch feet. Also rotate your head around and stretch your upper body as well, cross your arms and pull, stretch out your arms and make circles.

AS you're running, slow your breathing, the best way I can explain this is to breathe in deep and let out your breath twice as long as you breathe in. Even in two breaths if you have to. THe opposite of panting, this is what keeps your sides from cramping and gets more oxygen in your blood. Get a rythem going and "roll' your feet as you run, don't just stomp your feet on the ground.

Also keep your body loose and don't tighten up your upper body, just have your thumb and first forefinger barely touching. Keep your arms parrallel with your body and keep all motion going forward. Some people waste a lot of energy twisting their arms and body from side to side as they run. THis makes you more tired and not move as fast. Keep your head up and looking where you want to go, not down at the ground.

Also start out slow and small at first. Down the block or to the stop sign for the first week at least 3 times a week and no more than 5 times a week. The rest periods are when muscles get stronger after working out. You're just wanting to stay active, not run a marathon in two weeks.

Also like learning drums, is better to run around the block steady for a month than to try to run 10 miles the first week or sprint to the stop sign. A constant walk, jog/ run is best. This is what creates endurance, be the turtle, not the hare, just keep moving and keep it steady, steady, steady! Walking down the block 3 times a week is way better than racing down the block one day a week.

Also as it gets cooler, dress in light layers, watchcap and gloves as needed, most body head is lost through the head and hands. Also as you get more into it, run into the hard wind first and return home down wind. Running down wind at first with your layers will make you sweaty and then if you run into the wind on the way back, the wetness from being sweaty makes you cold in the wind and can cause sickness and stuffy. Hope this helps.

• Members

after i got out of the hospital i got up to 245 im down to 218 at the moment.

i have 1 coke a day,its my cup of joe,try to eat smart,try mind you.

i have been hitting the weights for the last 3 months and feel like im missing something if i miss a day.

Archived