ponder me this, drum buddies....a snare question...

cdawg

• Members

ok, so i'm pretty damn FAR from buying a new snare, this to be known.

but i have to keep thinkin'. let me bounce a few thoughts off of you guys.

i've been thinking about metal snare drums lately. i think that'll be my next. i play a 7x12 premier birch/eucalyptus 3 ply (i know, kooky, huh?) i know i'd like a 13" metal. not sure about the depth, maybe 5 or 5.5. i wasn't sure about brass, because i wanted a snare that could be tuned high or low. that's why i didn't want a 6 or 6.5 depth.

but, i was thinking copper might be cool, but i wasn't sure if copper could get a nice cranked sound at 5 or 5.5.

any ideas about copper, or brass/depth in general?

• Members

Copper's REALLY dark. If you wan't piercing highs ala brass, avoid.

i dunno ... i cranked my DC sig up last night before rehearsal and man; it sounded SO bright and alive. perhaps not AS bright as brass, but i wouldn't say copper's only gonna be dark.

but i reckon it's subjective. :)

• Members

I played one too, cranked, and it did crack. All snares will crack when tuned accordingly, i guess i meant stick with brass if you want that brass crack.

I once played a deep dish DW copper as well, oh god it sounded stupid good. But those piercing highs weren't there, which is fine for me anyways since i dig that sound.

But yes, crack that DC snare did.

• Members

well, i'm not lookin' for that piccolo high, just something a little flexible. i dig my 12" so much, i just thought 13" would be a happy medium. (plus another 12 i think would be silly, especially brass or copper.)

cem-- i wouldn't object to a 6-6.5 depth. i guess i really need to smack a few (duh.)

marko-- i would be more than happy to put my balls on that snare. i've never done more than hit a copper in a store a few times. never played one in the context of a kit. plus, i think i have a pair of sabian rock hats i will trade you for that. i think that's fair. yes, it's fair, indeed.

aene-- sounds good to me. don't think i really want a brass, by the sounds of it. besides, if i do, it'd be groovy to hunt down a rogers one day, though i digress.

• Members

I really need to invest in more snares
:(

No, you just need to up grade your kit when you can. Then start buyin' extra snares. I'm bringing all of mine to the Jam. With everything else I'm bring up, stuff for the Big Daddy, P.A. mains and head, my Saturns I figure what the hell right. So I traded two of mine off awhile back, but I still have:

1950's WFL student snare that was Carm's. He needs to see it since it's been re-finished.

1970's Ludwig Strata

Ludwig Acro, Blue w/ Olive badge

Mapex Saturn- 6'x14"

Witt Steam Bent Oak- 6.5"x14"

Gretsch Copper- 6.5"x14"

Mapex Popcorn

When ya get a little more financially secure, one can NRVER have too many snares IMO. I can't wait to get more financially secure!

• Members

If you're going with a 13" snare, get a 6 or 6.5" depth. Otherwise you'll have weak little bitch snare on your hands.

Ha! This guy's got the idea here. I agree. 5" or 5.5" is going to sound more like a little "effects" snare. I prefer 7" depth for 13". With it being metal you should have no problem cranking it up at a deeper depth.

• Members

dawg, you can play my 5.5 yammy copper in c-bus.

it's a 14", dunno if you can handle it though.
never knew you were a GIRL
. sorry.

hey Deuce, nice to see you in here.

in touch with my feminine side, yes. my set-up is fairly tight right now and a 14 would push things away a bit. i could deal with it. but, thanks, man, i would like to put my balls on your snare, as well.

Archived