THE VOICE...

cdawg

• Members

ok, not to steal from another thread, but i'm gonna. that rush thread seemed to strike a note for some.

geddy's voice seemed to be a roadblock for some, including myself. i really dig some of the music and i do appreciate it, but it took me a while to get past geddy's voice.

the same can be said for bob dylan, and more recently, for me, the mars volta.

but the mars volta is so friggin' talented, vocalist included, that you can't deny all of what's going on to complete the whole insane technical package.

so, i say unto thee... who else's voice ruined a band for ya, or, more importantly, what band did you "fight" to get past the singer to realize the "genius" of the band?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anything that has "vocals"--IOW, growl-and-vomit {censored}--instead of singing. They could be the best instrumentalists in the universe, I ain't going to listen to them. Takes me two seconds to decide whether the band is worth my time or not.

shallow. c'mon. who have you discovered it WAS worth listening to, in spite of the "crappy" vocals?

• Members

DTs early vocalist. fail.

Kevin Cronin. pass. but irritating.

Taylor Dane copies. (obsessive belters usually fronting blues /rock groups) all fail

many 'good' singers too numerous to name that just don't seem right.

There's also a ton of bad singing that seems to work. It's not just the voice, except Geddy I suppose, it's personality and credibility as well. I don't lay the blame on Geddy though. Awful singing definitely but the whole Rush thing is like an over done garage band.

• Members

I have 4 people that I think are GREAT songwriters/lyricists, just put down the guitar, and step away from the {censored}in' mic!!!

1- Bob Dylan

2- Neil Young

3- Bruce Springsteen

4- Tom Petty

I'm sure there's a couple more, but those are the 4 that really drive me nuts, when they perform.

• Members

I have 4 people that I think are
GREAT
songwriters/lyricists, just put down the guitar, and step away from the {censored}in' mic!!!

1- Bob Dylan

2- Neil Young

3- Bruce Springsteen

4- Tom Petty

I'm sure there's a couple more, but those are the 4 that really drive me nuts, when they perform.

i'm gonna use this list as ones I consider great voices, along with Joe Cocker, Tom Waits, Janis Joplin, Eddie Veder, Howlin' Wolf, SRV, Jerry Williams Jr, Oscar Brown Jr, James Brown and most other unique and different stylists. Heck I'll even through in Marvin Gaye and Sam Cook etc. who were singing straight from the heart not from the head...

What I can't stand is the "good" singers. Whitney Houston type perfection that lacks any type of human connection.

What I like about the singers I mentioned(as is with most art for me) is that they tap into the inperfection of the human condition. Sort of like Bukowski's books: ugly as {censored}, but somehow are the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced at the same time. I think the old blues singers are some of the best examples of this, or recorded versions of the chants from chain gangs...

They capture something the most technically proficient musicians never could(well some are lucky enough to tap into both aspects, but damn that is rare).

Just my $.02...

:thu::poke:

• Members

i'm gonna use this list as ones I consider great voices, along with Joe Cocker, Tom Waits, Janis Joplin, Eddie Veder, Howlin' Wolf, SRV, Jerry Williams Jr, Oscar Brown Jr, James Brown and most other unique and different stylists. Heck I'll even through in Marvin Gaye and Sam Cook etc. who were singing straight from the heart not from the head...

What I can't stand is the "good" singers. Whitney Houston type perfection that lacks any type of human connection.

What I like about the singers I mentioned(as is with most art for me) is that they tap into the inperfection of the human condition. Sort of like Bukowski's books: ugly as {censored}, but somehow are the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced at the same time. I think the old blues singers are some of the best examples of this, or recorded versions of the chants from chain gangs...

They capture something the most technically proficient musicians never could(well some are lucky enough to tap into both aspects, but damn that is rare).

Just my $.02...

:thu:
:poke:

Hey, to each, his own.

One man's treasure, is another man's garbage!

Happy holidays to you!:thu:

• Members

I appreciate the technicality of The Mars Volta, but their singer ruins it for me. I can NOT listen to his high pitched squealing and screaming.

i'll do ya one better. some of those cats were "at the drive-in" before the mars volta. his voice was way more aggressive, maybe compared to rage against the machine. but the whole package was amazing. same kind of comparison, though. i see your point, BD.

• Members

good mention on the tom waits, bro. bad singer, for sure. but, oh man!! what character!! def one of my favs. makes me wanna drink whiskey and smoke.

Oh man, I agree. Wish I had a little flask here at work...

In my opinion, if you don't like Tom, there is something wrong with you...

• Members

Muse for me. Their singer used to bug the {censored} out of me, but not that I've listened to a lot more of their stuff, I think they are a ridiculously good band (even though I still think their singer has moments where there's something left to be desired...).

• Members

shallow. c'mon. who have you discovered it WAS worth listening to, in spite of the "crappy" vocals?

No. Opinionated yes, shallow no.

I have discovered nothing that meets your needs. If I find a band that are smoking but have a singer (or type of vocals) I can't stand I'll listen once just to hear the band. Never again, though. Why should I?

Life's too short. If I spent the rest of my life expectancy doing nothing but listening to good stuff I ought to listen to, I'd never get to half of it. Ain't wasting one minute.

• Members

i'll do ya one better. some of those cats were "at the drive-in" before the mars volta. his voice was way more aggressive, maybe compared to rage against the machine. but the whole package was amazing. same kind of comparison, though. i see your point, BD.

Interesting. I actually like Cedric's singing in the Mars Volta. Didn't mind it in At The Drive In, but he's definitely gotten better over the years. His voice is no barrier for me with the Volta (seeing them again on the 18th Jan, can't wait!).

The dude from Dream Theatre, don't know his name... yeah.... i can't listen to that. I'd rather have no vocals at all thank you very much. Same thing with Rush. Those singers ruin the bands for me, and i just can't listen at all, despite the quality music behind the vocals.

Going back about 5 - 10 years, i remember first listening to Marilyn Manson, and really digging the music, not so much the vocals. I think his voice was a barrier for me at first, but it did actually grow on me. Having said that, i can't remember the last time i listened to them. Did i grow up or something?

Billy Corgan. Don't think i liked his voice at first, once again, it grew on me, or i got past it. Needless to say, i became a Pumpkins fan despite the voice.

Archived