OT Old 80's Stereo home stereo receiver amp Help

twosticks

• Members

Hello, I would welcome any advice:

I have a old 80's Yamaha Natural Sound Home Stereo Amplifer with built in EQ. Has been part of my rack/component stereo system in my drum room for many years. Is part of my rack/component home stereo system. It's the piece that I plug my CD 5-disc player/dual cassette deck and AM/FM tuner into. I have looked at music stores/pawn shops/ and recently on my nearest cities Craiglist for a match or something close to it. Results have been slim at best.

The unit has been making static/pops/ hisses/ cuts out/ while it's on and has just gotten worse and needs replacing. It's not the speakers or other units as it does it with just the headphones and speakers off and I don't hear it when I record from CD to cassette and later playback in my truck. All I really want is just something close to replace the unit so I can listen to my CDs and music and drum along without hearing 'POP..Click....shhhh.......shhhPOP,......click....pop, POP" that sounds like someone plugging and unplugging a guitar into a amp all the time through the speakers.

ANY help would be WAY welcome, what can i do? where do I find used stuff? is it worth to repair this one?? I just want to hear music again! I have Four home speakers that work nice and plug in with the bare wires. I wouldn't care if it didn't have EQ (would be nice) Don't need surround. Many thanks in advance to any help or advice! Thank you!:thu:

• Members

As a long-time audio dweeb, I suggest you do two things before you replace it.

One, change out the line-level wires with one known to be good. Wires deteriorate just sitting there. Doesn't sound like your problem, but it might be.

Two, and far more likely, is that your volume control needs cleaning. Go to an electronics store and get some contact cleaner (comes in a spray can with a tube that fits in the nozzle. Take the cover off the unit and find where the volume control shaft goes to find the actual volume control. Squirt some of the contact into the openings of the control and manipulate the volume control, back and forth, pushing in on the knob for a while and pulling out for a while. Now do it again.

I've saved something like 20 people from having to buy a new amp/receiver because all they needed to do was clean their volume control.

[This assumes you have a rotary knob connected to a potentiometer inside. If you have up/down buttons for volume (not so likely in an 80s unit) you're {censored}ed.]

• Members

Ask for Caig cleaners. Other brands are just detergent and will unlube and dry out pots causing them to freeze. Check the Caig website for the which and whys. You can also open the thing up and vacuum the cobwebs out. This will take care of the scratcing and spurious shorts. If you get transient like pops though, sounds more like actual current stuff - caps and/or resistors going etc.

• Members

does it only act up when your adjusting the volume level or when you plug in the headset ?

DTD nailed it down but for trouble shooting purposes i would plug in different headset and see if it does the same thing or plug the orig headset in different unit. if nothing stands out at this point i would go with contact cleaner.

i would check

headphones

headphone jack

A/B speaker switch

volume knob

def sounds like output source being you dont hear it on recording, IMO

i think DTD nailed it though 0.02

• Members

1k1 is right, if your electronics store has Caig DeOxit, get that; more expensive but worth every penny. If all you have is a Radio Shack get theirs, but the Caig is the {censored}.

And I should have mentioned, while you have the cover off shoot the other pots (balance, tone controls) as well as all the switches, especially the selector switch. Shoot them and work them a couple of dozen times each.

You'd be amazed at what one (or several) dirty pot(s) or switch(es) can do to the sound/performance. This is always step one when troubleshooting this stuff, apart from checking/replacing the line-level wires.

• Members

thanks for the replies! DTD this is what I was maybe thinking as well. By line levels, do you mean speaker wires, I replaced the wires with 18 ga but that was awhile back. I guess they go bad just sitting for so long. Second, mine is the up and down buttons for volume, so I may be screwed! But I guess I can at least try new speaker wires and a can of electronics cleaner first right?? About a year ago we moved and I had to box up stereo. Wound up speaker wire and stereo was in the back of my extended cab for awhile. It was working fine then, every now and then one channel would take minute to kick in if it sat for awhile. After the move is when the problem first started. I was maybe thinking that dust and dirt has maybe shifted and clogged connections?

My sister got this new in 84' and then she got an A/V receiver in 95'? she then gave it to me and has worked great until now. The snap, crackle, pop is just get so pronounced now and the EQ sounds muted and then full at times. 25 years of service has been great and I can't complain really. This is what I like about older stuff though, there may be a chance to keep it working with cleaning and some maintainece and cleaning whereas stuff from 10 years ago is most likely landfill by now.

thanks for the replies, this gives an idea where to start. thankful for the replies!!

• Members

Line-level wires are not the speaker wires, they're the ones that connect things like CD players to the unit, with RCA plugs at each end. Forget I mentioned them, satman correctly observed that if you're recording okay then they're not the problem. But it could still be the pots or switches because they come after the rec outs in the circuit.

Even though you have up/down buttons for volume, get the cleaner and take the cover off anyway. Use the cleaner on any pots you see inside--it could be that the up/down buttons connect to a motorized volume pot, which is the same thing as what would be at the end of a rotary volume control shaft. Do them all, there's usually little openings in them you can squirt through--you need the cleaner inside the pots, not outside.

Also do the switches, especially the selector switch. Any buttons, too, though they may not have any openings in them. Try and squirt some into where the button comes out of its case.

Always work the pots and switches after spraying, running them from one end of their range to the other, repeatedly.

This may not be the solution--it could be something else (most likely a bad cap)--but if it isn't you're only out the cost of the cleaner.

Alas, not many places actually fix home electronics anymore--they only replace whole boards at a time. It's just not cost-effective to take the time to find that one bad cap, it would cost more than the unit itself. And since the unit's old, it's not likely that they can get replacement boards for it anyway.

• Members

It is with deep sadness that I announce the terminal illness of my friend the Yamaha Stereo Unit.

Could only make it by Wal-Mart and get a can of cleaner today. Took off cover, sprayed and cleaned off everything, took off front cover and cleaned under there, cleaned the pots and switches like DTD said.

Put it all back together and hooked it up, same thing but not quite as wild as before. Is still always a crackle sound in the background like a used vinyl record in between songs and then every so often is a soft to sharp click or "pop" like a mic being during off and on with a hot PA and dropped out a little bit.

Did it with speakers on, did it with speakers off and through the headphones. did it on CD/Tuner/Cass and even on Phono and phonograph isn't hooked up, did with NO component selected! But man, you are right, the music that came through sounded great! The EQ works and the loudness and it all sounds so full and good! If it wasn't for the Snap Crackle Pop going on as well, it would have been like new!

The Stereo Unit had a living will which stated in cases like this that it wanted to live a "natural" life and not be reccesitated, hooked up to machines or have any transplant. So we shared one last part of a song together and remembered the old times when we would party and drum together. "Yammie" as I called him, just stood there like a rock and never showed any emotion as that big power button in the sky went off and I whispered to my self "You still my favorite stereo" as I looked down for the outlet to pull the plug on one of the greatest friends one could ever have. RIP Yammie. :cry:

Thanks to EVERY ONE for their advice! yes for $5.98 for a can of air at Wal-Mart, I now know what's going on. Thanks again kind sirs!

• Members

Did you say you used a can of air?

That's not the stuff. You need something called contact cleaner. It comes out of the spray can as a liquid.

If you used a can of air, you need to try again.

PS. Wal-Mart is not a place you're likely to find actual contact cleaner. Radio Shack at the very least, or an electronics supply house. If the latter, look for Caig DeOxit.

• Members

Don't kill it yet you still didn't take it to a tech! I had a problem with my reciever the cooling fan on the amp wasn't working properly causing the amp to flip out replaced the fan and the problem went away!

ps- I know this sounds ghey but I love the feel of a nice heavy knob!:facepalm:

• Members

Well, If you do need a new one and you aren't going for crazy suround sound, I have a pretty good Pioneer 600 watt reciever that I would be willing to part with for a low price. It sounds great with 2 speakers. I did get it used and eventually replaced it because I could never get the surround speakers to sound right. If you're interested, pm me and I'll give you more details.

• Members

Did you say you used a can of
air
?

That's not the stuff. You need something called
contact
cleaner. It comes out of the spray can as a liquid.

If you used a can of air, you need to try again.

PS. Wal-Mart is not a place you're likely to find actual contact cleaner. Radio Shack at the very least, or an electronics supply house. If the latter, look for Caig DeOxit.

OIC, Yeah, my step son has been staying with some friends for some months in south Ga and wife wanted me to take a bed up for him, afterwards, Wal-Mart was the only thing open. I guessit's air, all it says is "Dust Remover" So it's contact cleaner, got it. Deoxit!

We have a Radio Shack, an Office Max, and an Ace True-Value electrical supply that might fit that bill.

Skin: If the Deoxit doesn't work, I may find another used unit and let the local music store look at it. I was talking to them one time and they said that since they repair guitars, amps, PAs and musical electronics they might be able to look at it for me. I wanted to ask here and try the cheaper stuff first.

louied: Thanks man, is there a way to have four regular speakers plugged in?? I will keep it in mind.

That's why I really like the Yamaha: it was before the days of surround sound and just played good ole stereo. Has four speaker plug ins (A and B speaker modes) Has EQ where I control the high and low range and mid level as well. Also was before the the A/V receivers and where you can choose "concert hall", "live" or even "disco" acoustics, but screwed if you just want to turn the bass frequency down a tad.

Might be a few days until I can check on the contact cleaner, after I got off the computer late last night, was on the back porch and heard water running underneath the back porch sink we put in last year. Was a pinhole leak from where it must have froze with the last cold snap. Is warmer here now so heard water running now. replaced the pipe last night but it still slowly dripping where the flex hoses attach to facet underneath, then I had to work. have to see if the flex hoses just need washers or replacing tomm. then I get to pay bills, food shop and go to work.

Thank for ALL the help guys!!

• Members

Deoxit's a good contact cleaner. Clean your plugs and any jacks you can get a pipe cleaner in. If you do the pots - they might be sealed though - never did figure this one out. Anyway if they're sealed , you have to remove the knobs , spray the base of the shaft and basically hope it seeps in. If they have an opening no problem just follow directions. You should follow up with a lubricant - also a Caig product.

Doesn't our resident from Buena Park have any suggestions?

• Members

Went to "the Shack" as it's now called and got contact cleaner or as the Shack calls it " electronics cleaner"

Took stereo apart like before and sprayed cleaner in spots like before and let it dry for the afternoon, after doing bills in evening and put it all together, Same "snap, crackle, pop" and then big "cracks" like a hot mic being unplugged. DAMN!

While I was at Radio Shack, saw where they had a receiver just like I would need, AM-FM with CD/Tape/Phono inputs and A-B speakers. didn't have an EQ but did have tone controls, Was a Sherwood name I think for about $95. Any used ones I seen that are decent are asking $60-70 and they are about as old as my Yammie. I'm thinking for $20 more dollars could get new and have what I need, Sound dumb???

Meanwhile, anybody need an old vinyl record sound effect machine?? Thanks for the help! Thank You for any advice!!

• Members

i wouldn't buy sh*t from the shack, bro. just find an older yammie and pick that up. most older receivers are just layin' around collectin' dust. find one at a garage sale, flea market, swap meet, etc, and pick it up cheap. clean that bastard up then you're set. i've done that a few times. the only ones i buy new are the 5.1 ones.

or, check out crutchfield or b&h photo. they have cheaper models at killer prices that dont have all the bells and whistles.

• Members

I'm voting for a bad cap or two. That sounds just like a problem I had with my mid 90's Yammie, and cap replacement fixed it.

If not the contacts, yes. Problem? Around here it's $60 to walk in the door. Take at least an hour to find the bad caps. More time to replace them (hoping against hope they're not surface mount units).

You just bought two new receivers.

Archived