does anyone else hate small toms beside me?

NomadDudeMan

• Members

Holy {censored} !

I never had a complaint about any of my drums sounding like {censored}, if i did it was MY fault, not the drums. owning a piece of {censored} set might be an excuse, but after reading how some of you tune, well,,,,, maybe some people need to really learn how to play first. #1,,,, on the drum dial thread,,, why in the hell do some of you have to tune up so f'in tight???? so you have a better rebound to play better???? all you old guy remember the old field snare drums back in High School? Why did some ass come up with those ultra high tension snares these kids have to play today? it sure don't let the shell resonate the way it was designed, and it really shortens the life of the head. LOOSEN UP PEOPLE, RELAX AND TRY TO REPLACE YOUR HEADS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, THEY SURE DON'T COST AS MUCH AS THEY USE TO! 6" TO 24" DRUMS CAN SOUND BEAUTIFULL.:thu:

• Members

Depends what you do with 'em. They zone differently. With big toms you can rock away with 8th note fills and if you do get busy, that same mass factor tends to smooth out any roughness. Conversely, if you favor tasty percussive clarity and articulation, only the fusion sizes make any sense.

• Members

12" and 14" toms for me.

I prefer 18" and 20" bass drums too.

My friend just recently went back to big drums and won't stop talking about how great it is. Must be a trend.

Yeah......A trend.......since the 1920's and 30's. Most all drummers of the day used big drums. That continued into the 60's and 70's (the most influential period of modern music if you ask me).

The only "Trend" I see these days is all these small toms and "fast sized"/hyperdrive" toms. I have big drums, have always used big drums, and probably always will. They suit my style of playing, the type of music I play, and most importantly sound good to me. I have never really experienced "muddled sounding drums" with using larger sizes. That comes from tuning and actual shell/head choices along with microphone choice and placement of it.

You guys can have your small toms, and I am happy they suit you. I just get tired of hearing that upper range too quickly, and enjoy the deeper, more rich tones I get with the bigger drums. To each their own.

There is nothing quite like stomping on my foot pedal, or hitting the center of one of my toms, and hearing that pure rumble. It inspires me to play better.

• Members

Everyone is different. Play what you feel and not what everyone else thinks.

Myself,I am going to have 4 toms up and 2 down. 8/10/12/13 have a 16 down and haven't decided if I am going with another 14 or 18 down. Really considering the 18 since I already have a 12/13 and the 16 feels lonely.

Archived