Who here has owned a Beetle?

Cross Eyed Mary

• Members

I think VWs are cool but have heard some horror stories. An the older VWs are getting older now. I think you need to answer whether you want a reliable car or a fun car. Not that VWs aren't reliable, just most older used cars will need some work at times.

My first first car was a 71' Dodge Charger that I had to pay $25 for a new plastic gear shift lever a few times, $53 dollars for a left tail light on an 83' Nissan pickup in the 90's and then a month later, $48.75 for the right rear. I wise man once told me some good advice when I was wanting a different car to replace the current one I had that needed work. He said " with each different car comes new problems, with your current car you know what it needs, a different car may have different problems you won't about until later".

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All of my freinds and I are total VW gear heads. I have a 69 bug that i built a stroker motor for with a 5 speed gear box and a 66 squareback that used to be my drum hauler until I got too much gear lol. Check out some sites like thesamba.com if your really looking into getting one.

DSC00591.jpg

{censored} man I bet that thing hauls.....what does it run? What's the five speed gearbox out of? What's the engine platform? 1600 or out of a bus?

• Members

Your name is your intake? Please describe.

It was my intake on my old engine, I had dual Webber 44 DCNFs on it. When I stepped up to the new stroker I needed bigger carbs so I went to 2 48IDAs and love it. The distributorless ignition system is custom mad by my dad and I.

SSdrums, what part of colorado are you in?

• Members

{censored} man I bet that thing hauls.....what does it run? What's the five speed gearbox out of? What's the engine platform? 1600 or out of a bus?

It runs low 14s on street tires up at mile high altitude here in Colorado on pump gas, with slicks and better traction it'd be easy 13s. Transmission is a late model type 1 VW single sidplate with close ratio gears and a Gene Berg 5 speed conversion with solid mounts.

Motor that I built is a 2387cc in an aftermarket aluminum raised roof case. It has a knife edged DPR 86mm DPR nitrided crank, FK87 cam, and 46X37mm stainless valves in ported heads.

• Members

My first car- '69 Bug. Had a hell of a time with the hubs. But I had some pretty damn good sex in that puppy. When you're 16, there is always a way.
Later on, I owned a couple VW Vans that I had some pretty good times in also.

CHICKA-CHICKA-BOW-WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

dual44DCNFs is right. check out the samba, lots of great reading and info there. use the search function as much as possible... most things have been talked about over and over again and the search works over there.

these cars are great!! learn how to work on them, its not hard. and be sure you do things the right way. if you do you wont have any reliability issues, the brakes will work fine, and there wont be any fires.

and about hondas out lasting them... well, vw's are still here. 40-50 years old and still running. how many current hondas will you be able to say that about?

• Members
It was my intake on my old engine, I had dual Webber 44 DCNFs on it. When I stepped up to the new stroker I needed bigger carbs so I went to 2 48IDAs and love it. The distributorless ignition system is custom mad by my dad and I.

So what am I looking at? Looks more like turbos. lol :confused:

• Members
dual44DCNFs is right. check out the samba, lots of great reading and info there. use the search function as much as possible... most things have been talked about over and over again and the search works over there.

these cars are great!! learn how to work on them, its not hard. and be sure you do things the right way. if you do you wont have any reliability issues, the brakes will work fine, and there wont be any fires.

and about hondas out lasting them... well, vw's are still here. 40-50 years old and still running. how many current hondas will you be able to say that about?

not really a fair comparison. That bugs have become a collector car doesn't mean they don't wear out. If people were into early 70's civic's the way they are into bugs then you'd see the same thing. And as much as I love bugs...I'd put a stock civic up against a stock bug for engine mileage any day of the week. All those bugs are still on the road because the engines have been rebuilt countless times and those bodies have had new metal welded in over and over.

Check out this sweet ride...lol..

htup_0903_17_z+old_school_hondas+1977_ho

• Members
So what am I looking at? Looks more like turbos. lol
:confused:

no that's the dual carbs on the left and right siting on top of their intake manifolds which sit on the intake ports at the bottom. The black thing at the back is the fan shroud. the belt is attached to the generator at the top and the crank at the bottom. The rest (and any mistakes I made..lol) i'll have to leave to dual.

As he said that's an aftermarket engine and not a typical bug engine you'd see on the street. This is closer to stock with a single carb in the middle..

316341.jpg

• Members

you like working on cars? then a Beetle is a good pick.

'cause you'll be working on it ... no {censored}.

21 mpg tops.

not worth it.

the only thing nice about mine was the interchangable body parts: body from a '69, right door from a 71, front fender from a 67 ... you get the idea.

you will need
(which is cool to read even if you
don't
have a VW).

You gotta get that book. It's awesome. With that you can learn to do anything on a bug all the way up to rebuilding the engine. Will also help you figure out to get it going again when it strands you somewhere.

Unless you buy a cherried out restored cream puff you'll have to keep it going. You'll need to carry you toolbox in the truk in the front along with and extra can, er bottle of oil.

Fun car.

• Members

My first car was a '68 bus, followed by a 67 bus, followed by 66 a Squareback, followed by 2 66 Bugs, then a couple of Rabbits (junk) before I swore off of VWs. I wouldn't want to be driving around in an old Bug in 2010. I wouldn't feel safe. They have no air bags or anti lock brakes or anything. Plus they're pretty bad polluters I think.

If I were to get it one it'd for a second car to drive around on a nice day.

Now I'm a Honda man. I've got a 1997 Honda Civic I bought new and it still hums.

• Members

buy a Subaru.

Yes...yessss...join the cult of subaru....:poke:

don't worry, I'm a previous owner of one of those as well. I put 20000km/12500miles on one in 4 months driving a virtual circle around australia..great cars....but still kind of a culty fan base..

• Members

Holy crap that's a simple engine. The {censored} in my Audi looks like two of those.

Yep they are. The cylinders are horizontally mounted under all that and can easily be got too by jacking up the back end. The engines drop out pretty much with ease unless you have a dual carb set up. They get a bit more aggravating the more performance you pump into them.

these days I'm more with BoomBoom. I don't even have a car anymore, but my wanting "old" car days are behind me. They just end up being a money pit especially if you are into getting performance out of them (all cars are anyway), they are totally unsafe, and really I just don't feel like polluting (in that way; of course I still pollute.) anymore. Newer cars really are much more efficient. I use to be able to pack a full 5 piece kit EASILY into my sisters 90 honda civic. Old now but many of those types of cars are great.

Having said that I won't begrudge anyone wanting to have a little fun with a classic. I've been there and done that and they are something special.

• Members

not so bad.

I had one that 2 other kids learned on and it rolled well past 200K with very few problems, ticked like a time-bomb though.

Do you mean literally? Cause my subaru's valves made a noise like that that totally freaked me out at first. Especially since I was about to travel through the outback. But this subaru guru repair guy said it was normal (ie needs repair eventually, but not life threatening.) because they used a different type of system for their valves than other makers.

• Members
Aren't Subarus maintenance hogs?

They might require more maintenance over their lifetime than another car, but that's only because they last forever. Mines about to bust 250K. So yeah, its on its 3rd clutch, 3rd set of brakes, etc etc.

Archived