Who here has owned a Beetle?

Cross Eyed Mary

• Members

I'll be honest, they're one of my dream cars. And i'm seeing ALOT of them in clean shape for $2500 and under on CL. I'm {censored}ing SICK of my car, it's constantly breaking, and parts are incredibly hard to find and way overpriced($135 just in parts to fix a tail light, $120 to replace a door handle, etc).

SOOO...i'm thinking i should sell my car (i could probably get a grand for it, it IS an Audi), get an auto loan for 2G's (should be pretty easy to pay off) from my bank, and buy one of these {censored}ers.

I want to know what your experiences are with them. Are they a bitch to find parts for? Harder to fix? How's the gas? Were they tough (i ran my car down an enbankment through barb wire and drove right on home, even backed up through the rocks and barb wire)?

Talk to me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How the {censored} are you gonna fit your drums in a Beetle?

I drove my girlfriend's (at the time) for a few months. It was like driving a go cart everywhere.

Like many other (almost all) VW air-cooled engines... It caught on fire.

• Members

I had one for a while. 1968. The things are easy to fix, find parts for, but you can run into some repairs every now and then since they are many years old. with the right mechanical knowledge and if you can run electrical you should be set. Not a gas hog at all. The beetle is still a small car so it may not be the toughest car to throw out on the road for a long trip or if by chance a traffic accident we're to happen you might get the worst of it. I had wiring {censored} up on me on the way home from work and the damn thing lost all power. No lights, no ignition, nothing.. Luckily it started up after about twenty minutes of cursing. Parts can be found very easily where you live and they always have vw shows so used parts are always an option if you dont wanna buy new. Take a look around and see if there are any import stores near you that deal vintage vw. Go down and talk to an expert and see what they have to say.

• Members

The beetle is still a small car so it may not be the toughest car to throw out on the road for a long trip or if by chance a traffic accident we're to happen you might get the worst of it.

Yeah, but that old German metal is goddamn TOUGH. My Audi (87 4000s) is a beast, still small....but it's been through alot and takes it in stride.

• Members

My wife had a 2004 Turbo Beetle........P.O.S! I was glad to get rid of it. I will say this, the interior was huge! You put the back seats down and it was big. I know you are looking at a vintage Beetle but the newer ones a roomy.

Archived