would this make you back out of a gig last minute??

cdawg

• Members
You have no reason to complain. If you didn't want this situation to come up, you should have set the terms BEFORE committing to any sort of gig. Hoping that you will get some compensation for playing when you book it is the wrong way to go about it.

Same with the kit. You should have set the terms of who's kit, can I adjust it, etc etc BEFORE you booked the gig. Had you known what you know now, would you still have booked it??

In my opinion, if you have committed to a gig without setting your terms, then you should NOT expect ANYTHING and go through with it anyway. Better to swallow your pride and play a crappy gig than be labeled as a deadbeat show.

If the cost of a service is not agreed upon before commencing, then the cost defaults to ZERO.
:facepalm:

ok, mr. stir-er of {censored}, please read through the posts before you make your comments.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice story aen, that's a guy who gets it. And it's the way we wish everyone was.

yeah. if you're playing club gigs and sharing kits, why {censored} would you have your kit all memriloced out and {censored}?

I wouldn't play the gig cause I'll play anybody's {censored}, but I have to be able to set it up lefty. otherwise imma suck, and it's not worth my time.

For the same reason, I switched to a 4-piece with a snare-basket mounted tom. That way if a righty needed to use my kit it would take less time to switch it around than it takes to tune a guitar.

dawg, rock it best you can if you want. I'd avoid those nifkins in the future, however. Unless you want them to open for you sometime and make them PAY.

• Members

back on topic, did you read the band's "rider," of sorts? would you play a gig that wouldn't allow you to change anything? could you see this as a difficult night, especially if you have to curtail what you play due to the constraints of your own instrument??

Depends on the gig. If it was for a friend's band, or a really popular band, or just a good show, sure I would. If not, why would you waste your time on a frustrating gig that doesn't pay?

• Members

Play the gig,deal with it the best you can, then walk away.You will know not to commit to a gig with this group again. You are a pro Chris. Don't let some wannabe's bring you to their level.

thanks daddy, you're right. i'll bring my best and walk outta there with the crowd we bring.

• Members

If you are just doing it for fun, then I would say this is a perfect opportunity. You don't have to setup and break down. You can be a rock star in front of your local fans. Walk in and play. Don't bitch. Oh and have fun! But I really don't see a big upside to the gig.

On a different rant, sorry. {censored} it, let's all start doing our days jobs for fun and free.

• Members

Are you a poser or a professional?

Do you really think the opener gig will get you more jobs?

Hey, doing a tour of K-marts and singing in Malls helped a few people to a career but it's not the track I'd do or recommend ;>)

I do not perform in public without:
a) Getting paid, or,
b) for a charity or person I personally care about.

But you can set your own standards.

Boomerweps

• Members
They sound like they're trying to be rock stars...
:cop:

I'm still not so sure about that...I didn't see anything in the email language that was cocky/arrogant, and can DEFINITELY can see the desire to have your show be airtight. Frankly, if I was in a position to dictate terms like that and not negatively impact my ability to book shows or my draw, I'd do it too.

• Members

I'm still not so sure about that...I didn't see anything in the email language that was cocky/arrogant, and can DEFINITELY can see the desire to have your show be airtight. Frankly, if I was in a position to dictate terms like that and not negatively impact my ability to book shows or my draw, I'd do it too.

well, they're certainly not making many friends with the local bands. that doesn't help.

• Members

I think it really depends on where you want the band to go and where you are as a musician.

Several years ago, I'd say "play" when I was in the same boat (and that frequently happened). That was back when our "original" band was striving to get a name out.

One particular show, the drummer had his toms VERY HIGH compared to mine because he was about 6'5" tall (even for my height of 5'10", my toms are considered "low" by most standards and are nearly horizontal). I adjusted (took a song or two) and played the rest of the set without too many problems. I knew my limitations on that kit and I was fine with it.

The downside was the monitoring system. The "hired engineer" was horrible (maybe a friend of the band's?) and everything was excessively loud. I'm talking about 100dB+ on stage. As a result, I damaged my left ear (didn't carry earplugs around in those days) and it has haunted me ever since. I'm 25 now and I don't even want to think about the hearing problems I'll have when I am 50 or older.

That show was about 5 years ago. We did get $$ for fuel costs, about 15 a person, but nothing else.

If I were asked the same question today, I wouldn't even consider it.

• Members

Just now reading this dawg. Hell, go do it. Like one of the guys said, bring your pedals, and snare at least. It's an easy switch, and the drummer shouldn't bitch, unless he's a complete dick. Then you'll need to deal with it I guess. Screwy set-up and all.

I would expect them all to have "rock star" egos. I would. Another thing, I don't know how you have constant at entertainment this club, and take a 30 minute break for them to start after you. They should be ready immediately. But, at least you won't have to rush to get out of the way.

You'll kick it in the ass Bro. Just be leery of this type of {censored} in the future with any other band that asks you guys to open. Like asking them if there are any "criteria" as far as any of the stuff this band emailed you, BEFORE you guys agree to open for the band. I know I will just from reading this thread.

Smoke 'em:thu:

• Members
I don't think you should play at all. You could stay home and we could do a little skype sexing. When we're finished you can have your party

Look BITCH!!!!!! Don't you {censored} w/ my MAN!!!!!!!!!! I will {censored} you up so bad you grand, grand kids two generations down the road will come out da womb and will be confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay await my man BITCH!!!!!!!

(PS_ Hey A, snare out tomorrow. I'll let cha know)

{censored}!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::eek::poke::lol::wave:

• Members

Well if that's how its going to be I want a refund Cdawg.. Prorate it if you must but I paid for a service and I expect it to be delivered. If you can't refund dawg then I'll have to get it from you marko..Any way I can:eek::love::facepalm::lol:
P.S - I'm pumped about the snare. USPS said your package should arrive on monday.

• Members

personally, on the no moving drums thing, id just take out a drum key and unlock everything then move it to my liking... done it before and no one has ever told me {censored}. i see it as being the price they got to pay for being to lazy to set up there own kit later.

• Members
personally, on the no moving drums thing, id just take out a drum key and unlock everything then move it to my liking... done it before and no one has ever told me {censored}. i see it as being the price they got to pay for being to lazy to set up there own kit later.

HA! kudos to you then. If nothing else, it'd be worth it to watch the other guy have an aneurysm right in front of you.

Archived