would this make you back out of a gig last minute??

cdawg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gotten to the point where I play just about anywhere and hit just about anything they put in front of me.

Have you seen the guy's kit before? Does it look semi-normal? If you play on a setup like an average guy and he's set up like Lars or Nicko (ya know...toms almost vertical) there's a problem. Otherwise, no biggie. Bring your own throne and use the rest of his stuff. Get it, get out, call it a night.

It's not ideal, but I'd say "whatever" and do it.

• Members

I've gotten to the point where I play just about anywhere and hit just about anything they put in front of me.

Have you seen the guy's kit before? Does it look semi-normal? If you play on a setup like an average guy and he's set up like Lars or Nicko (ya know...toms almost vertical) there's a problem. Otherwise, no biggie. Bring your own throne and use the rest of his stuff. Get it, get out, call it a night.

It's not ideal, but I'd say "whatever" and do it.

If you're just complaining on principle, then either drop the gig or stop being a crybaby.

• Members

And you fly off the handle when you receive a couple that don't agree with you. Whatever, I thought I'd start posting here instead of the political forum, but I had a drunkard attack me last night, and now this...

This forum has a horrible attitude.

• Members

dude, you didn't offer an opinion. that's what i was looking for. instead, you questionned my ability. you don't see why the defense?

and as for turd, i agree with him. i was simply stating that he missed part where the dude's kit was quite a goofy set-up.

• Members

I wasn't questioning anyone's ability. I play at the edge of mine all the time; most of my gigs are metal and that's what they call for.

So, sorry if it seemed like that, but it wasn't my intent.

• Members

And you fly off the handle when you receive a couple that don't agree with you. Whatever, I thought I'd start posting here instead of the political forum, but I had a drunkard attack me last night, and now this...

This forum has a horrible attitude.

No, I'd say this forum doesn't like it when people think their only purpose in life is to be Mary-Mary-Quite-Contrary. From the political forum, eh? That explains a lot.

Listen, you're welcome here, but you should realize that this place operates in a different way. Be yourself but be respectful and we'll all get along fine.

• Members

I wasn't questioning anyone's ability. I play at the edge of mine all the time; most of my gigs are metal and that's what they call for.

So, sorry if it seemed like that, but it wasn't my intent.

back on topic, did you read the band's "rider," of sorts? would you play a gig that wouldn't allow you to change anything? could you see this as a difficult night, especially if you have to curtail what you play due to the constraints of your own instrument??

• Members

Q: how did it come to be a last minute deal?

my concern is a little more about pulling out last minute than about the specific terms

someone mentioned the idea of bringing your own snare and throne and maybe hi hat

could you maybe just use his kick, and stay in your critical "triangle" - maybe change the negative into a positive and use it as a fun challenge to stay real minimal and focused

• Members

Q: how did it come to be a last minute deal?

my concern is a little more about pulling out last minute than about the specific terms

someone mentioned the idea of bringing your own snare and throne and maybe hi hat

could you maybe just use his kick, and stay in your critical "triangle" - maybe change the negative into a positive and use it as a fun challenge to stay real minimal and focused

well, they posted this through our myspace email just yesterday, i got it today. this all came up when they said i should talk to their drummer about the drum situation. how's that for a blindside?!

you bring up good ideas. i plan on bringing my throne, pedal, snare/stand, and cymbals. i'll see where i'm at after that. it "seems" like i'll be able to move some {censored} around a bit, but you never know. i'm currently getting different stories. you know how that goes. i'm assuming the worst.

• Members

the only real option here is to laugh in these assholes' faces, then {censored} their girlfriends.

jesus, they think they're {censored}in KISS or something? gimme a goddamn break.

i knew you'd have something good to say. i know. it's pretty outrageous.

but, i've seen the gf's.

no. way.

• Members

even worse now!

i dunno about yall, but i do this {censored} cuz it's fun. i don't expect to make any money from shows (and any money we do get goes into a collective band fund to pay for hotels on outta-town-shows, recording, etc) so that's not my issue here.

my issue is the self-aggrandizing bull{censored} otherwise listed. that tells me that these mother{censored}ers are going to be a pain in the ass and any gains from playing aren't worth the very likely annoyance of simply being AROUND them.

• Members

even worse now!

i dunno about yall, but i do this {censored} cuz it's fun. i don't expect to make any money from shows (and any money we do get goes into a collective band fund to pay for hotels on outta-town-shows, recording, etc) so that's not my issue here.

my issue is the self-aggrandizing bull{censored} otherwise listed. that tells me that these mother{censored}ers are going to be a pain in the ass and any gains from playing aren't worth the very likely annoyance of simply being AROUND them.

drink it in, people. this is the answer. in bold goes to all of you who brought up the money-thing. that's why i barely addressed it. seemed none of you really got it.

aene, you're right. this will be the LAST time we play with these assholes.

and, to aene, mel, turd, loss, thanks. i will make the best of it.

• Members

a lot of the times when we play gigs that have a backline, it seems it's ALWAYS the same drummer's kit i wind up playing. he's a huge session guy in town ... he's the touring drummer for probably my #2 favorite artist EVER ... he makes his living as a musician; and does very, very well.

he's also one of the nicest dudes ever.

the first time we played a set with a band he was with; i was SUPER nervous. i knew who he was and was like "omg."

before we went on, he came up to me and was like "hey man, if you need to move anything around, swap out cymbals or a snare or pedals or whatever, go right ahead. whatever makes you comfortable."

it was only like the second or third gig i'd done with the band and i didn't feel like i played my best; but afterwards he still came up to me and said "hey man, great job."

there's absolutely NO reason everyone can't be that cool. he had no reason to do any of that other than just being ... cool. it makes everyone comfortable, everyone has more fun and as a result - everyone is probably gonna perform better.

• Members

You have no reason to complain. If you didn't want this situation to come up, you should have set the terms BEFORE committing to any sort of gig. Hoping that you will get some compensation for playing when you book it is the wrong way to go about it.

Same with the kit. You should have set the terms of who's kit, can I adjust it, etc etc BEFORE you booked the gig. Had you known what you know now, would you still have booked it??

In my opinion, if you have committed to a gig without setting your terms, then you should NOT expect ANYTHING and go through with it anyway. Better to swallow your pride and play a crappy gig than be labeled as a deadbeat show.

If the cost of a service is not agreed upon before commencing, then the cost defaults to ZERO. :facepalm:

Archived