Double kick pedal technique for someone starting out...

barny15

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yay! So happy HC did the right thing!

And lo and behold, my thread that I made right before the switch survived. A LOT of good suggestions in here; thanks to all. I've been starting slow and just trying to develop more of a feel for playing with two pedals instead of one. Mostly just simple rudimentary stuff. I'll just keep doing that until I get a better hang of everything. I think I'll need to readjust my pedals because things feel a bit "off", but I'm not sure how to go about it...

As for not using these things to play metal, I think that kind of went out the window. I've been participating in some Metallica-ish and Motorhead-ish type shenanigans over the past couple of weeks. ;)

• Members

Yeah, but that can be done with one foot and a bit of practice. Why handicap yourself into needing two feet for a one foot fill?

Why handicap yourself with only having the option to use a single pedal/foot?

If you're saying that anything someone can do with double-pedals can be done with enough time and effort on building the skill of a single foot, you're wrong.

And if you're NOT saying that, then there could be no possible logical argument against using a double-pedal.

• Members

Why handicap yourself with only having the option to use a single pedal/foot?

If you're saying that
anything
someone can do with double-pedals can be done with enough time and effort on building the skill of a single foot, you're wrong.

And if you're NOT saying that, then there could be no possible logical argument
against
using a double-pedal.

Paragraph 1: I actually wasn't saying that you should ONLY use a single, just that you shouldn't rely on a double. Using less limbs for a certain task on a drum kit is NOT a handicap.

Paragraph 2: Of course I'm not saying that, I'm saying that MOST applications of a double pedal can be done on a single. Switching over to a double kick to play 2/2s at 150 bpm is not a efficient way to spend your money/time, IMO.

Paragraph 3: :confused: I think I just made one. Your mistake is thinking that I don't think anyone should use a double at all, which is ludicrous; I play metal. If anyone knows the usefulness of a double kick, it's people who play tech death.

I think we might actually agree, now that I've made my stance on the subject more clear.

EDIT: I guess I should actually say it clearly: Aside from metal, I think drummers w/o a killer right foot should abstain from using a double, if only to keep them from relying on it. The whole "handicap" thing came about when somebody said that playing 2/2s required a double; this is false.

• Members

Using more limbs for a task on a drumset isn't necessarily a handicap either...the argument you're making against double-pedal usage is purely a preference thing; that's based on how you personally feel about it.

Regardless of the facts/details behind that preference, it's still an emotional response, and thus, not a logical argument.

For what it's worth, I've never felt the desire to go double. I spent my formative years playing very quick tempo hardcore punk rock, and made do with my single strap-drive Camco/Tama pedals, and still use those exclusively today.

But I don't feel one could say one is superior/better to the other at all; totally a personal choice.

• Members

I'll say this though, at the risk of typing too much on the subject: it's really a matter of opinion in this case. I would rather not rely on a second pedal, personally; some people would rather take the easy route and use both feet. And then there are those who have the discipline to do both and practice some cool double pedal patterns while working on their right foot as necessary, but they're a few and far between, in my experience.

• Members

Using
more
limbs for a task on a drumset isn't necessarily a handicap either...the argument you're making against double-pedal usage is purely a preference thing; that's based on how you personally
feel
about it.

Regardless of the facts/details behind that preference, it's still an emotional response, and thus, not a logical argument.

For what it's worth, I've never felt the desire to go double. I spent my formative years playing very quick tempo hardcore punk rock, and made do with my single strap-drive Camco/Tama pedals, and still use those exclusively today.

But I don't feel one could say one is superior/better to the other at all; totally a personal choice.

{censored}, didn't see this post...

It's not necessarily a handicap, but if a drummer who goes that route ever wants to use his left foot for something while doing those fills, he's {censored}ed. THAT is my "logical" point. The definition of a handicap is simply a disadvantage, and somebody who's used to using two feet on the kick for everything certainly finds themselves in one of those when their lefty is called for on something else.

This is ironic, I actually started out as a double pedal player and always have one on my kit, whether I use it or not.

Archived