two legged hat stand on carpet

Sub_Meter

• Members

I have a fantastic 2 legged hi-hat stand and it works great on stage or on my drum rug over a hard surface, but there is a TON of wobble on carpet (where I do my practicing). I don't use a rack (so no clamping it to something), so does anyone have any tips to make it more stable? I am pondering getting a thin piece of sheet metal and cover it in rubber to sit under the stand. Plywood doesn't work, the carpet is too spongy.

To clarify, it only wobbles if I do left foot work. I have heavy legs and I play it heel-up. I'm pretty active with my left foot on the thing, doing a lot of eighth notes.

Scouring the internet, a lot of people tend to have this problem and fix it by buying a new 3 legged stand. I'd rather not, especially since I love it so much when I have harder flooring.

• Members

What stand is it?

I had a similar problem (very slight wobble though) with the DW 2-leg stand until I spent time adjusting the leg heights & placement.

Have not had the same issue with the Iron Cobra version, but I never set up on thicker carpet, so it may be that the carpet you're practicing on is going to cause the issue itself regardless.

Keep in mind also, if you can rotate the legs but are not setting them both close to centered off the foot plate, you'll likely increase your chances for this to happen; in other words, if you rotate the back 2 legs so one is closer to a center-line drawn straight through the pedal and one is further away, expect more wobble on any surface.

• Members

I agree with kmart. The foot plate needs to be as close to center as possible with your set-up. I don't think thin sheet metal will work either. I'd have suggested the plywood. Try a larger piece. The bigger the footprint the more stability you'll have. Mines a Yamaha, but I don't know what series it is, but it does the same thing on carpet with padding. Make sure also that the lags and footboard are setting equally level on a hard surface too prior to trying a larger piece of plywood. Mine can adjust where the footboard is lower than the legs, or, higher than the legs. It's just trial and error really. Another idea would be a sand bag on each leg to balance the weight out of your foot bouncing on the pedal. Not real practical, but it's a thought.

• Members

IC 2-legger is wobbly as {censored} on a thick-pile carpet.

I went back to 3-leg for that application.

I have the 2-legger, and while it's always been a little problem on the carpet, it's never stopped me from jammin' out. On stage, that thing can't be moved.

Is there any way you could clamp the stand to maybe your crash cymbal stand or your snare stand? Kinda like a bridge in between the two stands, that way the snare stand or cymbal stand would be almost like the "third" leg of your HH stand.

Idk, my friend just gave me some of the green stuff and it sounded like a good idea :blah: Probably just talking out of my ass though...

• Members

Idk, my friend just gave me some of the green stuff and it sounded like a good idea
:blah:
Probably just talking out of my ass though...

Some of the worlds greatest ideas came from a friends green stuff. Also may account for the empty bags of OREO's that can often be found in the cupboards across the United States.:p

• Members

Some of the worlds greatest ideas came from a friends green stuff. Also may account for the empty bags of OREO's that can often be found in the cupboards across the United States.
:p

I love when the friend gives me green stuff in the form of money as opposed to herbal remedies

• Members

I have an 1100 & get just a tad of wobble. Are the stand's legs fully extended? The legs on mine are a little difficult to move & I have to push hard to fully extend them. Once all the way out, it's pretty stable.

She's heavy as crap, though. Been wanting a good old 740 for gigging...

Luck - bo

• Members

Odd thing is I have a DW5000 2 legger, and a PDP 2 legger. Both are of about the same beefy-ness. However, the PDP wobbles like a mad mother on carpet when I'm doing foot hat patterns. The DW is way more solid.

I can't figure out why! :confused:

• Members

So my problem was that I put my foot on the pedal and that pushed the front part of the pedal base down into the carpet, reliably lifting the 2 legs off the carpet completely.

I tried putting coasters/folded up newspaper/etc under the front of the base to stop this, but couldn't get anything reliable.

• Members

I think the main difference from my stand is the base isn't a flat metal piece. The stand works great for me in every place except my practice room, so I'm just going to use a 3 legger in there. I have one.
:)

This is the stand:
http://imgur.com/V22DK.jpg

The jpg image you attached shows a stand with a flat metal base. Wobble will happen if any of the 2 legs, the base, or the footboard heel piece aren't on the floor or carpet. Also, it will wobble if your stand sets at an angle :confused:.

Archived