What Would You Pay? Tama Starclassic Maple

Hope Drums

• Members

Hey guys, a friend of mine's uncle is selling his Tama kit. I'm not sure what it is worth, includes rack, all the cymbals, everything (except sound equipment) that you see in the pics....I'm not interested myself, but told him I'd check around, just wanted to be able to give him an idea what it's worth....he said "I've got $$$ in it," but ya never usually come close to what you got in it!

Thanks for looking and your input!

Brian

tama1.JPG

tama2.JPG

tama3.JPG

tama4.JPG

tama5.JPG

• Members

...used goes for about 2/3 of new...

2/3 of new?

What planet do you live on?

Seriously, tell me, because I'll definitely come there whenever I want to sell gear.

Used=half what you'd buy it new for AT BEST if you''re really lucky, IME...

Ultimately, it will all depend on how much he wants to sell it, and how long he's willing to wait to get that amount.

• Members

From the pics, it's a beautiful kit. I'm waiting on a detailed list, so I can see what the stuff individually is going for on eBay. He mentioned he had over $8500 in everything.....I haven't priced that kit, but I'm thinking he well over paid. Throwing out that type of number, I don't know if what he is expecting to get will be realistic.

• Members

From the pics, it's a beautiful kit. I'm waiting on a detailed list, so I can see what the stuff individually is going for on eBay. He mentioned he had over $8500 in everything.....I haven't priced that kit, but I'm thinking he well over paid. Throwing out that type of number, I don't know if what he is expecting to get will be realistic.

He could have DW for that Money

• Members

In all seriousness, here's my take. (and I'm big Starclassic Fan)

He may have $8500 at List price, but not at retail. It's a beautiful kit but he may be pushing it with his numbers.

Kit: $2500 for the 6 piece Starclassic Maple ... maybe a bit more

Rack: $300

Cymbals: $1200 in Cymbals (almost all Zil. K's)

Misc. Perc and Snare: $300 (and that's being generous)

Total: $4300 - round up to $4500 for good measure that that seems right. (It also make sense if his $8500 is based on list price)

Realistically, he could probably get $2500-$3000 if he sold the kit complete as is.

He probably could get a bit more if he pieced it out. Those cymbals could be a nice take if he sold 1-2 at a time.

DB

That all being said...tell your buddy I'll give him $500 for everything :-)

• Members

Really nice drums. But resale value on Japanese drums is pretty poor. You buy them to play them, not an investment.

Now if he put that money into a vintage set of Gretsch 10-20 years ago...

That's not true at all. The Japanese Starclassic kits are the ones that are still retaining quite a bit of their value. It's the newer lines (B/B) that are being built in China that people aren't thrilled about. (They sound amazing, but have a lot more problems than their Japanese counter parts).

DB

• Members

Die Cast hoops are standard on ALL Starclassic lines. I think it's one thing that people overlook when estimating their value. The original ones were proprietary due to the design of the Starcast mounting system...but they still sound amazing. It was a good design for the drums overall, though some people don't like the limitation of rims.

DB

• Members

That's not true at all. The Japanese Starclassic kits are the ones that are still retaining quite a bit of their value. It's the newer lines (B/B) that are being built in China that people aren't thrilled about. (They sound amazing, but have a lot more problems than their Japanese counter parts).

DB

I always thought that went with out saying, Japanese quality is usually near if not, top of the line..pretty much for every thing.

• Members

I used to have a metallic white Tama Imperialstar octoplus kit. The lugs would just spontaneously combust. I be sitting downstairs watching TV or listening to a record, and I'd hear a weird "pop" come form my drums. I'd walk over to the drums and find a lug snapped off. I used to have to keep a shoebox full of spares. It happed numerous times. Even to the bass drums. They'd snap off even if I wasn't playing. I don't know what the hell they made those lugs out of, but I've never in all my life popped a lug on any of my Slingland kits. That was my experience with Japanese drums. After selling my '68 Ludwig blue sparkle 4-pc. and playing those 12 pc. Imperialstars for 5 years or so, I stumbled on a '68 silver sparkle 4-pc. set of Slingerlands and have never considered switching back to Tama for anything. Now I have about 4 Slingerland kits from different eras and in every imaginable size.

• Members

In all seriousness, here's my take. (and I'm big Starclassic Fan)

He may have $8500 at List price, but not at retail. It's a beautiful kit but he may be pushing it with his numbers.

Rack: $300

Cymbals: $1200 in Cymbals (almost all Zil. K's)

Misc. Perc and Snare: $300 (and that's being generous)

Total: $4300 - round up to $4500 for good measure that that seems right. (It also make sense if his $8500 is based on list price)

Realistically, he could probably get $2500-$3000 if he sold the kit complete as is.

He probably could get a bit more if he pieced it out. Those cymbals could be a nice take if he sold 1-2 at a time.

DB

That all being said...tell your buddy I'll give him $500 for everything :-)

My take, which is close to drumsdb:

Base Rack: $300

Cymbal stands: 8 x $40 = $320

Rack clamps: 8 x $20 = $160

Cymbals: 8 x $175 average = $1400

Misc. Perc and Snare: $500

Total: $5300

So, I'd say it's worth about $2500 to $2700 if it's in pristine condition. But I don't think many would jump unless it were more around $2000...

Archived